Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Apr 2018 (Saturday) 07:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grey skies- washed out

duckster
99 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2017

Apr 14, 2018 07:15 |  #1

Took some photos at the local track meet yesterday. Flat, grey sky conditions. Set the WB to cloudy. It seems that some of the photos have a washed out or overblown sky appearance. Wondering what I should do to make these better?

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/2018-Track/i-47BjjTx/0/e0aa7d41/XL/IMG_0363-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://troybracker.sm​ugmug.com/2018-Track/i-47BjjTx/A  (external link)

sponsored links
bob_r
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 14, 2018 07:28 |  #2

duckster wrote in post #18606585 (external link)
Took some photos at the local track meet yesterday. Flat, grey sky conditions. Set the WB to cloudy. It seems that some of the photos have a washed out or overblown sky appearance. Wondering what I should do to make these better?

One option would be to apply a neutral density filter in ACR. I did a screen capture of the ACR application to show what I did and the second image is the result. Hope this helps.
The ND filter icon is shown in blue at the top of the screen capture in case you are unfamiliar with it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 14, 2018 07:32 as a reply to  @ bob_r's post |  #3

Thank you for that information. I am probably going to have to learn some post processing. I just take pictures for me, mostly my daughter and her track team and have only been doing it for less than a year. I currently do really do any post processing besides a little cropping and trying to straighten the photos where possible. Thank you for the example!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,228 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Apr 14, 2018 07:40 |  #4

duckster wrote in post #18606590 (external link)
Thank you for that information. I am probably going to have to learn some post processing. I just take pictures for me, mostly my daughter and her track team and have only been doing it for less than a year. I currently do really do any post processing besides a little cropping and trying to straighten the photos where possible. Thank you for the example!

You can purchase a GND (graduated neutral density) filter for your lens. Might be difficult to work with shooting sports though.

Otherwise, overcast skies can often provide good light for subjects on the ground, but white is white and they usually end up like your OP.

Edit,caffeine kicking in, neutral density would just make the sky grey.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Jethr0
899 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 14, 2018 07:58 |  #5

What about a CPL.?

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 14, 2018 08:07 as a reply to  @ Jethr0's post |  #6

I have not used a CPL before. I have read a bit about them but maybe that would help. T&F is a long enough event that many times you have several different weather/lighting conditions through the day.

PhotosGuy
75,256 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 14, 2018 08:36 |  #7

Lots of empty space in that image! You could crop right down into the trees.
You could shoot tighter.
You could find a angle where a horizontal format would work.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 14, 2018 09:59 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #8

Thank you, good points. I did have some horizontal shots that are a little better

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,218 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 14, 2018 10:10 |  #9

I agree with PhotoGuy. The rule for dynamic sports photos is "shoot tight and crop tighter". If you had done that there would not be much if any sky in the photo to worry about. Another thing to think about is backgrounds. For nice clean shots, you need to be aware of them and seek the cleanest backgrounds you can find.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,603 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited 1 month ago by Colorblinded. (2 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2018 10:19 |  #10

Jethr0 wrote in post #18606598 (external link)
What about a CPL.?

Shouldn't help with the sky, the overcast conditions scatter the light all over the place so you can't fix it with a polarizer. A polarizer can be used on a gray day to cut out the reflections off other objects, helping the colors to come through.

I'd agree to shoot tighter here, while a wider shot can be good at times, I see no reason for it here. Also, one thing that will help with the skies is a correct exposure, to me this is a fair bit overexposed.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 14, 2018 12:24 as a reply to  @ Colorblinded's post |  #11

Thanks. I have not tried to decrease the exposure in the camera at the time of shooting. Will have to try to more observant of that next time. As far as background, I will keep trying to compose them better/tighter. Background doesn't have much choice as there are only certain areas from which spectators can watch/take photos

ImageMogul
596 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 18, 2018 21:18 |  #12

I think a combination of PhotoGuy's and Colorblinded's comments will get you on the right track. My first observation (and mentioned by Colorblinded) was that the exposure of the overall photo is quite hot (as evidenced by the very bright areas of skin on the runners). I think that a little more control of exposure will go a long way toward retaining a little color in the sky in the future (if you even want sky in a photo such as this).

Best Regards,
Mark

Composition can’t be reduced to a set of rules ... Dissonance has its place in photography as well as music. If we confined ourselves to major and minor scales, the blues wouldn’t exist. Rules are tools, not laws.” ~ James Martin
http://www.imagemogul.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 18, 2018 21:28 |  #13

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

This one came from a meet yesterday, much more sun (for a change)

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/2018-Track/i-qr7wRm2/0/ec4b41b2/XL/IMG_0587-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://troybracker.sm​ugmug.com/2018-Track/i-qr7wRm2/A  (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,256 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 18, 2018 21:32 |  #14

duckster wrote in post #18609372 (external link)
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

This one came from a meet yesterday, much more sun (for a change)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://troybracker.sm​ugmug.com/2018-Track/i-qr7wRm2/A  (external link)

Much better. I like the bus in the background. Not so much the dude in the hat.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
99 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 18, 2018 21:35 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #15

Yep, the dude in the hat is the starter, so he is in about any picture from the start or finish...!

sponsored links

696 views & 3 likes for this thread
Grey skies- washed out
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.