Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 14 Apr 2018 (Saturday) 13:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A question of ethics, I think.

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,481 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Apr 16, 2018 20:50 |  #16

Just my two cents (which isn't worth much) is that based on the sellers response they may have know there was an issue. Why else refund the money AND tell you to keep it. That's a lot of trust on the seller's part. that other items failed since is also an indication they knew the condition of the camera wasn't on par with their evaluation.

I'd shelf the notion of 'doing the right thing' and chalk it up to experience.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am still in my underwear."
7,549 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 16, 2018 21:12 |  #17

-Duck- wrote in post #18608239 (external link)
Just my two cents (which isn't worth much) is that based on the sellers response they may have know there was an issue. Why else refund the money AND tell you to keep it. That's a lot of trust on the seller's part. that other items failed since is also an indication they knew the condition of the camera wasn't on par with their evaluation.

I'd shelf the notion of 'doing the right thing' and chalk it up to experience.

Maybe I'm reading more into this than intended, but this sounds like you believe I've had a negative experience. As mentioned above, I started out here feeling like I got something for nothing. If the first roll goes through it OK, and nothing else breaks, I actually DID get something for nothing. A nice experience, but a bit of a dilemma none-the-less (OhLook will be along to tell me I typed that wrong, shortly! :) )

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,481 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Apr 16, 2018 22:08 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #18

No, I got your meaning ;-)a. I just think the seller knew more than he let on if he was quick to let revenue go like that without checking if your claim was legit. No implication about how you felt about the exchange intended. I'm just throwing out ideas, that's all.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,514 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 16, 2018 22:49 |  #19

Bassat wrote in post #18608256 (external link)
none-the-less (OhLook will be along to tell me I typed that wrong, shortly! :) )

Yup. Nonetheless.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,867 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 17, 2018 00:44 |  #20

-Duck- wrote in post #18608239 (external link)

-Duck- wrote in post #18608278 (external link)
No, I got your meaning ;-)a. I just think the seller knew more than he let on if he was quick to let revenue go like that without checking if your claim was legit.

I don't think that's it at all.

I deal on eBay a LOT, and have had hundreds upon hundreds of experiences as a seller and thousands upon thousands of experiences as a buyer there. . One thing I've learned is that there are a lot of sellers who will gladly give a full refund and tell you to keep the merchandise whenever you have any complaint at all. . It is just their policy, their m.o. . They figure it's just easier to keep everybody happy than to try to maximize the profitability of every transaction. . It's basically just how things are done nowadays on eBay.

Your allegation that the seller "knew there was a problem" seems entirely unlikely, if not actually ludicrous. . Most sellers couldn't be bothered with the hassles that come with misrepresenting an item. . They just don't care. . They move lots and lots and lots of items every month and they can't be getting hung up with any one item taking more than just a few minutes of their time.

As a seller myself, if anyone ever had a complaint about somethign that they bought from me, I, too, would just give a refund and tell them to keep it. . Couldn't be bothered with having them mail it back to me, picking it up from the post office, relisting, etc. . It's just not worth it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,230 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 17, 2018 05:26 |  #21

Even Amazon will sometimes give me a full refund and tell me to keep the goods. I am sure the seller just didn't want to hassle with a return, then refund, then relist the camera.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am still in my underwear."
7,549 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 17, 2018 06:35 |  #22

Contrast this sale/refund with another I recently did on E-Bay. Item: Yashica FX-3 S2K, listed as 'works well'. Item arrived and every did work well, except the meter which did not work at all. E-Bay (seller?) paid for the return and issued a full refund, including shipping. Two days after seller got the camera back, it was relisted WITH NO MENTION OF THE DEFECTIVE METER.

Caveat emptor, my friends.

@OhLook - Thank you. I thought about looking it up. Nah, she'll get it! :)

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

sponsored links

1,082 views & 9 likes for this thread
A question of ethics, I think.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.