Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 16 Apr 2018 (Monday) 14:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to find travel buddy with the same interest in photography?

justamateur
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Apr 16, 2018 14:00 |  #1

I'm really curious about it. I'd love to go on photography trip to Europe, grab the flight deal to Portugal, rent an apartment for a week, explore the city from any possible photographic perspective: landscape, city, night photography, architecture... you name it. Dig into local culture, away from the tourist crowd. I don't want any organized tours when I have to pay twice or even three time for something I can get solo on my own. I'd like to find the traveler to share the apartment cost, which gives the opportunity to get better stay for the half of price.

I asked the photographers in local club, so far no one responded. I searched meet up groups, again, they all are more about an extra cost which I'm not going to pay. I've searched travel buddy's sites, but they are all about different kinds of travel, and kind of "gray" area, sometimes it's hard to understand is it dating while travel, or something like that?

Anyway, does anyone know the place when photographers can get travel buddy for the travel with photography in mind, outside the group?
I know for sure that it's extremely annoying for non-photographer to travel with our breed. ))) It should someone on the same page.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,749 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 10 days ago by Tom Reichner.

Apr 16, 2018 14:41 |  #2

justamateur wrote in post #18607991 (external link)
I'd love to go on photography trip to Europe, grab the flight deal to Portugal, rent an apartment for a week, explore the city from any possible photographic perspective: landscape, city, night photography, architecture... you name it. Dig into local culture, away from the tourist crowd.

Sounds like a great plan to me.

Avoiding the popular tourist areas. . Digging into the culture. . That is "doing it right", in my opinion.

I'd like to find the traveler to share the apartment cost, which gives the opportunity to get better stay for the half of price.

Because your plan is so specific, I think you would do best by looking for someone online. . If I were in your shoes, I would try to get to know some folks on a travel photography forum, or on a Facebook or Flickr group that is dedicated to travel photography. . Get to know a good number of folks and eventually you'll find the person who shares your objectives and who is also a good fit, personality-wise. . I have become friends with a lot of wildlife photographers this way, and have done many trips with the guys I've met online.

This past November, three friends joined me to photograph big game in Colorado; I met one of them here on POTN and the other two on a hunting/photography forum.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the southern part of my state to photograph owls with someone who I recently met on Facebook.

In June, I will be going to Alaska to photograph birds with someone that I met here on POTN way back in 2009.

This stuff happens so frequently that joining friends for photo trips, and sharing expenses, has pretty much become a way of life.

Another thing you can do is to get to know some photographers in Portugal who would be interested in coming to the U.S. for a photo trip. . You can offer to put them up at your place while they're here, and then they can host you when you go to Portugal. . I've done this with various people from around the U.S. - I've stayed with a friend in North Dakota, I've had a guy from Texas come stay here at my place. . Friends from the west side of my state regularly come to shoot around here with me and I frequently go over to western Washington to shoot with them. . I don't see why it wouldn't work on a more global scale.

I know for sure that it's extremely annoying for non-photographer to travel with our breed. ))) It should someone on the same page.

Agreed. . It would be very difficult for both parties if an obsessed photographer tried to travel with a non-photographer, or even a more casual photographer.

I don't want any organized tours when I have to pay twice or even three time for something I can get solo on my own.

You are on the right track with this reasoning.

Why get guided to the same place that a bunch of other photographers are being guided to? . It is hard to discover things for yourself when you are just following along with someone else's itinerary.

Besides, it's hard to make completely original images and follow your own artistic vision and individual image-creation process when you have to stay with a group of other photographers and go to the same places they are going to and shoot the same things they are shooting. . That certainly doesn't make for a lot of originality and creativity.

I searched meet up groups, again, they all are more about an extra cost which I'm not going to pay.

Could you please explain what you mean?

I don't understand what you mean by "extra cost". . Extra cost for who? . What is the extra cost for? . Who pays this extra cost? . Who receives this payment?

I've searched travel buddy's sites . . . sometimes it's hard to understand is it dating while travel, or something like that?

That could actually be pretty fun!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

justamateur
THREAD ­ STARTER
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited 10 days ago by justamateur.

Apr 16, 2018 14:49 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #3

I don't understand what you mean by "extra cost". . Extra cost for who? . What is the extra cost for? . Who pays this extra cost? . Who receives this payment?

Often when I see travel group's upcoming traveling events with the price attached, I calculate my own estimate to the same location. The group price is higher than possible to find. Some of the perks are in the price, like some dinner together, or so, but it's not that important for me. I was saying not about traditional local meet up field trips, but specifically for photography travel groups.

And yes Tom, I agree with everything you said. It seems like I will continue to travel solo. It's saving on apartment's rent vs freedom to do whatever I want. Maybe that's my way.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,749 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 16, 2018 14:58 |  #4

justamateur wrote in post #18608023 (external link)
I was saying not about traditional local meet up field trips, but specifically for photography travel groups.

Oh, ok. Now it is clear. . At first I thought you were about meetup groups, and "extra cost" wouldn't make any sense in that context.

By the way, I just edited my post (post #2) and added some info that you may find helpful.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

justamateur
THREAD ­ STARTER
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited 10 days ago by justamateur.

Apr 16, 2018 15:24 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #5

I see. I kept that in mind, that's why I decided to return here, there are more chances to meet someone on POTN with the same preferences. I'm a member of the local club, but the majority of them are not interested in the same traveling format as I am. I found one guy outside the club, but he is not ready financially to go on another trip at the moment.

As for meeting with local photogs in Portugal, I plan to buy the photo session with the guy who is awesome pro. I'm tired to be a shoe maker without shoes ))), I don't have any good pictures of myself. Actually it also was one of the reasons to travel with another photog, we can shoot each other even simply by swapping our cameras. No need to upload and send the images to each other, all the pictures are in own cameras. )))

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

137 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to find travel buddy with the same interest in photography?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.