Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 16 Apr 2018 (Monday) 16:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Contacting band managers (photo Pass)

RobertWood2191
Hatchling
6 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2018

Apr 16, 2018 16:24 |  #1

Most venues seem like they require you to go directly to the bands manager or publicity person, does anyone have luck with this? i cant imagine they would take the time out of their schedule to respond? I used to take photos for the house of blues in Atlantic city but it was years ago and ive lost my in there (they changed ownership). So this is a pretty generic question but how do you set yourself apart from the dozens of other people probably requesting the same permission. Do you send sample photos from previous shoots and hope they like it? Does it come down to just knowing the right person?

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,674 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 10 days ago by BushWacker.

Apr 16, 2018 20:53 |  #2

Unless the venue is getting something out of you taking pictures they have no incentive to allow you to do so because even if they are ok with it they would still need to contact the band managers to make sure the band is ok with you taking photos so you are asking them to do work for you that they get no benefit from. Put yourself in the position of the venue you are asking. Do you think they want to call the bands to ask permission for someone they don't even know to take pictures when you could contact the band managers yourself? They are most likely thinking to themselves why don't you call the band managers and ask and why would I be doing that for you? This takes work to get done and they don't work for you.

I shoot for several venues that do allow my access but that's because they are either paid advertisers or I am giving them free promotion. Even as a regular photographer at the venue they still must contact each band manager in advance to get permission and instructions on what the band will allow and then communicate that back to me. Somebody has to do this stuff and they have their own things to do every day and have no incentive to do this for just anyone who asks them.

Contacting each and every band manager that comes to your venue is a labor intensive process. Yes they are very busy, bigger bands may have several shows back to back in distant locations. Can you imagine that schedule? If you have ever done this you would know that it's a hectic lifestyle and wouldn't expect anyone to be that responsive to these types of requests. A good portfolio is only a start in establishing venues to work with, it might be helpful if you can even get them to look at what you have but bottom line is you have to bring value to them.

If you can bring in 50 to 100 people or more to every show they will certainly listen and might not even care what your photo's look like. Venues are looking at ticket sales, especially for the smaller bands that might not sell 50 tickets. If it's a sell out already because the band is a big draw they don't need you but if you can bring in an additional 50 people to a show that might not sell 30 tickets otherwise they will look at you as a gift from heaven and might make all kinds of effort to get you in. Hope this insight helps you...

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Gear List | flickr (external link) --------------

ThreeHounds
689 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 16, 2018 21:27 |  #3

I also shoot at a few local venues that host many large and small acts. Their stated policy is unless otherwise limited by the band's policy, photography is allowed, but no flash or video recording. Access is not all access, limited to purchased seat position, unless otherwise agreed to in advance.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,674 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 2 days ago by BushWacker.

Apr 17, 2018 15:50 as a reply to  @ ThreeHounds's post |  #4

I have a few smaller venues that have this same policy but most of the other bigger venues don't allow "commercial" cameras (SLR's) without credentials of some kind. They will allow anyone with a cell phone to do whatever they want (unless the band objects). It is interesting as the technology changes and the cameras (mirrorless) get smaller and smaller as well as the lenses what they will do. I'm guessing they will still ban SLR's but allow the mirrorless just because they are so big.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Gear List | flickr (external link) --------------

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

126 views & 2 likes for this thread
Contacting band managers (photo Pass)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.