Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Apr 2018 (Thursday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using pictures from a paid shoot

icor1031
733 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 19, 2018 14:29 |  #1

Pictures from a paid shoot - is it normal for photographers to post any on their website/FB page?

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
Ideal Portraits (external link)

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,505 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 19, 2018 15:22 |  #2

It's normal. You just have to make sure the models agreed to it.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
42,636 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 19, 2018 15:41 |  #3

Most the time you have the models sign a release stating your usage that they agree to.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited 1 month ago by icor1031. (2 edits in all)

Apr 19, 2018 16:10 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #4

Editing...

---

Edit:

Sorry! I mean that I, the photographer, was paid.
So, a senior's pictures - and her father paid me to shoot them.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,473 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Apr 19, 2018 16:39 |  #5

icor1031 wrote in post #18609860 (external link)
Sorry! I mean that I, the photographer, was paid.
So, a senior's pictures - and her father paid me to shoot them.

The answers above still apply.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited 1 month ago by icor1031.

Apr 19, 2018 16:41 |  #6

I'm not going to require they sign my usual model release, if they're paying me (I don't want to lose customers). So,
How do most go about this? Do you just ask permission after the shoot, if there's one you want to use? Or, do you put a disclaimer on your site, so they know in advance you may use any of them? Or...?

Alveric
Goldmember
4,412 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 19, 2018 19:01 |  #7

At this point it might be too late for the ones you've already shot. A number of photographers, myself included, have something like this in our contract/policies page:

"[Photographer] reserves the right to use any captured images for display, publication, its own advertising, professional competitions, and/or any other lawful purposes. Opt-out forms are available and must be filled out at the moment of ordering/scheduling, please enquire."

If they don't ask for such opt-out form they're fair game.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 19, 2018 19:29 |  #8

Alveric wrote in post #18609933 (external link)
At this point it might be too late for the ones you've already shot. A number of photographers, myself included, have something like this in our contract/policies page:

"[Photographer] reserves the right to use any captured images for display, publication, its own advertising, professional competitions, and/or any other lawful purposes. Opt-out forms are available and must be filled out at the moment of ordering/scheduling, please enquire."

If they don't ask for such opt-out form they're fair game.

Thanks! I think I'll use that.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,844 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner.

Apr 19, 2018 19:37 |  #9

icor1031 wrote in post #18609876 (external link)
How do most go about this?

When you first meet to go over the terms of the shoot, you inform them that, of course, you retain the right to use any photos from the shoot in your promotional material, such as portfolio, social media, and website. . Most professionals have a contract, or agreement, that they have the clients sign before they even start the shoot, and this will be in the fine print.

And if you feel awkward having them sign a contract, then just get over it!

I mean, if people have to sign a contract every time they get their oil changed or whenever they change the data on their cell plan or when they buy a new tire, then of course they don't think it is unusual that their photographer asks them to write their John Henry on a slip of paper before photographing them.

How do most go about this? Do you just ask permission after the shoot, if there's one you want to use? Or, do you put a disclaimer on your site, so they know in advance you may use any of them?

No, a disclaimer on your website would seem like a cowardly way to go about it. . That comes across like you are a little embarrassed or timid or hesitant to address the matter directly. . Plus, if you just have something on your website about it, then you won't have their signature on a document that states the terms of use. . In court, if you say to the judge, "it was on my website ..... they should have known" . well, that would sound kinda pathetic, wouldn't it?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 19, 2018 19:43 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18609952 (external link)
When you first meet to go over the terms of the shoot, you inform them that, of course, you retain the right to use any photos from the shoot in your promotional material, such as portfolio, social media, and website. . Most professionals have a contract, or agreement, that they have the clients sign before they even start the shoot, and this will be in the fine print.

And if you feel awkward having them sigh a contract, then get just over it! . I mean, if people have to sign a contract every time they get their oil changed or whenever they change the data on their cell plan or when they buy a new tire, then of course they don't think it is unusual that their photographer asks them to write their John Henry on a slip of paper before photographing them.

Good point.

Can you direct me to an example contract?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,844 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by Tom Reichner. (3 edits in all)

Apr 19, 2018 19:50 |  #11

icor1031 wrote in post #18609954 (external link)
Good point.

Can you direct me to an example contract?

Here is a link to the Google results I got when I did a Google search for "photography sample contract senior portraits"

https://www.google.com​/search?safe=off&sourc​e=hp&ei=EzjZWqu4J8iJ0w​L60oU4&q=photography+s​ample+contract+senior+​portraits&oq=photograp​her+sample+contract+se​ni&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33i22i29i30k1l3​.3394.12455.0.14520.36​.34.1.0.0.0.164.2399.3​0j3.33.0....0...1.1.64​.psy-ab..2.34.2400.0..0j35i​39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i​131i67k1j0i20i263k1j0i​22i30k1.0.3nBzvtRhM6o

Looks like there's some good stuff in there.

However, you will want to add your own unique legalese to the contract, in order to cover things that might not be covered in any of the samples. . My contracts are different because I offer photo licensing as a product, not photography as a service, but I have found that contracts written from scratch are better suited to my needs than anything I can find ready-made. . But then again I used to write contracts for a living, so I am used to writing those types of agreements.

Most people don't read the fine print when they sign something. . So even though you get the client's signature on a contract, that doesn't mean that it is okay to go ahead and post their photos on the internet. . Doing so might really catch someone by surprise and cause them to feel like you deceived them by burying stuff in fine print.

The responsible thing to do is when you hand them the fine print, briefly describe each of the main items in that fine print. . Tell them that you need to keep your portfolio and social media presence up to date so that other people can find you, just like they found you. . And be direct when you tell them that you may use some photos from the shoot on your various promotional outlets. . The main thing is that you want to make sure they are prepared by this eventuality and won't be surprised by it when it happens.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by TooManyShots.

Apr 20, 2018 10:02 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

Ask them, maybe??? Yes, normally, you have some sorts of either verbal or written agreement on the usage. Again, ask them if you haven't done so before the shoot. If not, don't use it...

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,212 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 20, 2018 10:09 |  #13

I'm not going to require they sign my usual model release, if they're paying me

If you plan to use the images, this is a mistake.

If they don't want to sign the release, don't post the images.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,212 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 20, 2018 10:13 |  #14

icor1031 wrote in post #18609946 (external link)
Thanks! I think I'll use that.

I don't know where you are living, but Alveric lives in Canada. Local laws obviously vary.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Alveric
Goldmember
4,412 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by Alveric.

Apr 20, 2018 12:51 |  #15

Yup. And it also depends on the subject matter: I only do commercial work, which is meant to be showcased. Headshot clients are going to publicly post their taken likenesses on the Internet anyway, and if they're happy with the photos they don't object to endorse who took them; thus, there's hardly any objection to me having some of the images in my portfolio. Only when they get the copyright then I can't do so.

But, for other genres of photography, like families, or more personal portraiture, yes, I can see a number of clients not wanting to be seen anywhere but where they themselves upload and post. I did take a non-commercial portrait last year –a senior lady from my church–, and when I was about to give her the prints she asked that we went into the church's crying room because she didn't "want anyone to see them". Right there one could immediately tell that those images are never going into any portfolio. Not only laws vary, but clients too.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

941 views & 6 likes for this thread
Using pictures from a paid shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.