Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Apr 2018 (Wednesday) 22:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever sold a lens only to buy the same lens back?

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,550 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 25, 2018 22:10 |  #1

Well it didn't take long... I bought my same 200 F2 IS I sold a month ago back.

Who else is as crazy as me.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,811 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 25, 2018 22:24 |  #2

Close. Sold 200 2.8 II when I was a bit hard up, bought a 200 2.8 (Mark1) later. Only difference is a built in hood on the older version.
I considered it a trade up and ended up $350 in front.

Sold my 1D2n to a friend for a good price, he did not really like it, bought it back a year later for a bit less than I sold it for, just for nostalgia value, sold it again in above mentioned hard up period, I should check, if it's still in new owners possession I might buy it back for my third purchase!

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
54,014 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 25, 2018 22:25 |  #3

Nope. I'm one who takes forever to decide sometimes investigating for weeks (not straight mind you but lots of research) Then buy. So far I haven't had to re-buy a lens I sold. Then again, I don't sell all that often and when I do, it's cause I moved up.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,886 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 25, 2018 22:35 |  #4

Talley wrote in post #18613685 (external link)
Well it didn't take long... I bought my same 200 F2 IS I sold a month ago back.

I have always been curious about this seemingly continual process of gear acquisition and liquidation, and sometimes re-acquisition.

Why would someone change their gear, unless their artistic vision changes?

I mean, we all have certain ways that we "see" a scene, and we naturally gravitate toward the gear that best helps us match that vision with our photos.

If at one point you believed that the 200mm f2 helped you best express your artistic vision, then what changed that caused you to sell it? . Did you start to see the world in a different way, and therefore have a quantum shift in the type of images that you wanted to create?

Then when you decided to re-acquire the lens, did you suddenly see the world around you in a a whole different way, again?

It has long been a belief of mine that the images we create (or any art that we create) is an expression of our very selves. . This is sometimes referred to as artistic integrity - the belief that what we create comes from within; that it is a result of everything that we are and everything that we have experienced in our lives. . If a lens helps you to best express that, then how can it suddenly not 'work' for you anymore?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,550 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 25, 2018 22:58 |  #5

It’s complicated. Let me ponder on that and return in the morning.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,728 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

Apr 25, 2018 23:10 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #6

I've done it a few times but make no mistake about it i'm not you :-P

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff

eddieb1
757 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 26, 2018 00:26 |  #7

More times than I care to remember.

yellowt2
218 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by yellowt2. (2 edits in all)

Apr 26, 2018 11:05 |  #8

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18613703 (external link)
I have always been curious about this seemingly continual process of gear acquisition and liquidation, and sometimes re-acquisition.

Why would someone change their gear, unless their artistic vision changes?

I mean, we all have certain ways that we "see" a scene, and we naturally gravitate toward the gear that best helps us match that vision with our photos.

If at one point you believed that the 200mm f2 helped you best express your artistic vision, then what changed that caused you to sell it? . Did you start to see the world in a different way, and therefore have a quantum shift in the type of images that you wanted to create?

Then when you decided to re-acquire the lens, did you suddenly see the world around you in a a whole different way, again?

It has long been a belief of mine that the images we create (or any art that we create) is an expression of our very selves. . This is sometimes referred to as artistic integrity - the belief that what we create comes from within; that it is a result of everything that we are and everything that we have experienced in our lives. . If a lens helps you to best express that, then how can it suddenly not 'work' for you anymore?

I can think of a couple reasons:

- Financial issues; sometimes people go through hard times and sell gear (that they like) just to raise money. When the hard times are over they re-acquire the same gear (see Choderboy above)

- Want to try something new. They sell their current gear and change to something different thinking it will be better. Sometimes it is, sometimes they're happier with what they had originally, so they go back to it. To find something that fits our "artistic vision" we often have to try out a few options, and often can't afford to own all the options at the same time, so we switch things around, decide what we like best, and go back to that at the end. I suspect that's what Talley does :) except that he never decides, he just keeps switching and switching always looking for that elusive perfect setup :)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,228 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Apr 26, 2018 12:10 |  #9

Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-VC

I had owned my 6D for a while and was not using my crop XSi much at all. I think I sold the lens after i bought a Tokina 16-28 for the 6D.

Sold it on Craigslist for 250 or 275 which was kind of amazing.

Bought it back on here for $150 I think, maybe 6 months ago. The boys are enjoying photography and when it comes time to get into aperture/DOF I wanted a small 2.8

With the advances in crop performance, I will probably stick with one FF and one crop and hold on to the lens for good now.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

daleg
596 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by daleg.

Apr 26, 2018 13:22 |  #10

Choderboy wrote in post #18613694 (external link)
Close. Sold 200 2.8 II when I was a bit hard up, bought a 200 2.8 (Mark1) later. Only difference is a built in hood on the older version.
I considered it a trade up and ended up $350 in front.

Sold my 1D2n to a friend for a good price, he did not really like it, bought it back a year later for a bit less than I sold it for, just for nostalgia value, sold it again in above mentioned hard up period, I should check, if it's still in new owners possession I might buy it back for my third purchase!

Strange coincidence. I have only re-purchased one lens that I have sold and it's this EF 200/2.8L II. In my case, it had sat idle for too long - I had a willing buyer - and I missed it almost immediately.

So I bought another copy. I may have come out $50 ahead. Wasn't really about the money.

Even though I have too many lenses, this gem saves me from spending the large sum that Talley has invested in his 200/2. Also, it's a lot easier to lug around. Sherpa frowns much less.

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,550 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 26, 2018 16:18 |  #11

daleg wrote in post #18614039 (external link)
Strange coincidence. I have only re-purchased one lens that I have sold and it's this EF 200/2.8L II. In my case, it had sat idle for too long - I had a willing buyer - and I missed it almost immediately.

So I bought another copy. I may have come out $50 ahead. Wasn't really about the money.

Even though I have too many lenses, this gem saves me from spending the large sum that Talley has invested in his 200/2. Also, it's a lot easier to lug around. Sherpa frowns much less.

I wouldn't own the 200 2.8 II ever. I'd much rather lug around the 135L or 1.8A if I was worried about lugging around.

Also... I look homo like a mofo but my suitcase as my wife likes to call it streetwalker roller back makes weight a non issue. But I do agree with her... I'm not use to rolling a bag around but I'm slowly getting over that. Not that I would travel with the rolling bag but in that case I wouldn't travel with a 70-200 or 200L either.

My Gear Archive

daleg
596 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 1 month ago by daleg. (2 edits in all)

Apr 26, 2018 16:54 |  #12

Talley wrote in post #18614172 (external link)
I wouldn't own the 200 2.8 II ever. I'd much rather lug around the 135L or 1.8A if I was worried about lugging around.

Also... I look homo like a mofo but my suitcase as my wife likes to call it streetwalker roller back makes weight a non issue. But I do agree with her... I'm not use to rolling a bag around but I'm slowly getting over that. Not that I would travel with the rolling bag but in that case I wouldn't travel with a 70-200 or 200L either.

Different strokes. Really the valuation on weight/mass depends on situation/context. I use my 200/2.8 in situations where I'm on my feet all day with it. Weight matters. I also shoot a 600/4 II, sometimes with extenders, strobes, etc, on a 1DX2/1D4/7D2, w/Gitzo Series 5 & a Wimberley. But I'm damn sure not hiking anywhere with it.

Have fun!

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,550 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 26, 2018 18:52 as a reply to  @ daleg's post |  #13

I seen a guy use a running type stroller that had biccyle tires to go off-roading carrying his gear.

My Gear Archive

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,417 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 26, 2018 20:53 |  #14

I’m too much of a pack rat to sell gear in the first place.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

LJ3Jim
922 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 26, 2018 21:21 |  #15

100L 2.8 Macro. I had one for a number of years, but didn't use it much. I sold it, and I missed it. Bought another one from Canon Refurbished. I still don't use it much, but it's nice to have it in the bag.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

sponsored links

1,742 views & 15 likes for this thread
Have you ever sold a lens only to buy the same lens back?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.