Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Apr 2018 (Wednesday) 22:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever sold a lens only to buy the same lens back?

fordmondeo
983 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2018 02:26 |  #31

ejenner wrote in post #18620906 (external link)
You should swap it for a 400 DOII them.;-)a

Love to. The problem is finding someone to swap with.

Vaginator9000

ejenner
Goldmember
3,614 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 07, 2018 21:20 |  #32

fordmondeo wrote in post #18621001 (external link)
Love to. The problem is finding someone to swap with.

OK, I did actually LOL at that. Yes, exactly.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,872 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2018 21:45 |  #33

fordmondeo wrote in post #18617863 (external link)
My 100-400 is used almost exclusively at 400mm, in fact, I can't find a single picture with it at 100mm.

My usage of the 100-400mm is quite the opposite; I find that I use it throughout the focal length range. . A few shots are taken at 400mm, but many more are taken between 100mm and 399mm.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 13 days ago by MNUplander. (7 edits in all)

May 09, 2018 09:27 |  #34

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18613703 (external link)
I have always been curious about this seemingly continual process of gear acquisition and liquidation, and sometimes re-acquisition.

Why would someone change their gear, unless their artistic vision changes?

I mean, we all have certain ways that we "see" a scene, and we naturally gravitate toward the gear that best helps us match that vision with our photos.

If at one point you believed that the 200mm f2 helped you best express your artistic vision, then what changed that caused you to sell it? . Did you start to see the world in a different way, and therefore have a quantum shift in the type of images that you wanted to create?

Then when you decided to re-acquire the lens, did you suddenly see the world around you in a a whole different way, again?

It has long been a belief of mine that the images we create (or any art that we create) is an expression of our very selves. . This is sometimes referred to as artistic integrity - the belief that what we create comes from within; that it is a result of everything that we are and everything that we have experienced in our lives. . If a lens helps you to best express that, then how can it suddenly not 'work' for you anymore?

Simple - my photography budget is limited but the same couple lenses don't always do exactly what I have planned. Even though I'm not interested in having more than roughly $4k invested in equipment at a given time, I've had the opportunity to use dozens of high quality lenses.

I can buy/sell used on the forums, eBay and Craigslist for less than a cost of a rental with the option of keeping a lens for months at a time instead of days or weeks. If it ever becomes difficult to do this, I'll consider long term ownership more closely.

Reasons for changes include all of the below and maybe others, none necessarily preclude me from getting a lens I've already had:

-Seasonality (telephoto in the fall for pheasant hunting and hawk migration but may not need it the rest of the year)
-Curiosity about upgrades or similar/overlapping lenses (16-35 f4 IS vs 24 ts-e II for landscape, 100-400II vs. my 150-600C)
-Changes in photographic interests/opportunity (had kids, moved, travel, etc.)

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 150-600C

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,536 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 09, 2018 18:47 |  #35

MNUplander wrote in post #18622540 (external link)
Simple - my photography budget is limited but the same couple lenses don't always do exactly what I have planned. Even though I'm not interested in having more than roughly $4k invested in equipment at a given time, I've had the opportunity to use dozens of high quality lenses.

I can buy/sell used on the forums, eBay and Craigslist for less than a cost of a rental with the option of keeping a lens for months at a time instead of days or weeks. If it ever becomes difficult to do this, I'll consider long term ownership more closely.

Reasons for changes include all of the below and maybe others, none necessarily preclude me from getting a lens I've already had:

-Seasonality (telephoto in the fall for pheasant hunting and hawk migration but may not need it the rest of the year)
-Curiosity about upgrades or similar/overlapping lenses (16-35 f4 IS vs 24 ts-e II for landscape, 100-400II vs. my 150-600C)
-Changes in photographic interests/opportunity (had kids, moved, travel, etc.)

Exactly how I feel.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,654 views & 15 likes for this thread
Have you ever sold a lens only to buy the same lens back?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.