Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Apr 2018 (Monday) 17:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

persistent mom, thats for sure

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,514 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2018 17:40 |  #1

I shoot my daughter's highschool's football games, mostly for fun. I DO load the images to my zenfolio page, in case any parent wants to buy prints or download a social media res digital image...

Had a mom, ask me if the digital file was available, IF she bought a print. I told her about the social media files and she said "thanks"...

Then again today, I get asked "can she download a digital file" because she wants an 18x24 print for her son's graduation party, and "how much would it cost"...

for crying out loud lady! Im about to reply with the products that I offer (16x24, 20x24 and 20x30) and that if she really wants a digital file, it will be $200.

too much? should i just tell her the digital file isnt available for sale? just wash my hands in the whole deal?

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
10,536 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 30, 2018 18:22 |  #2

I dunno... when you say mostly for fun and then demand $200 those two don't jive with me. I shoot dance recitals, Plays, baseball, all sorts of things. I've handed my images over because I don't do things like stand in front of stores trying to sell chocolates or spend a saturday at field day cleaning out bullpens and such. I can do what I think is fun and in the process upload some images and get tons of appreciation for doing so.

...take my sons baseball for example. During tryouts he regulary gets drafted to coaches that do very well and coach very good and also gets basically fought over from two coaches each season... One of the biggest draws is they get my photos too and the word spreads and like it or not... it may or may not be the right thing to do I dunno... but it benefits my son by getting the better coaches and plays on better teams. He has improved alot the past two years because of it.

My youngest daughter just got selected to doing a solo which isn't normally allowed for her age group for the two competitions they do but during the recital I turn over about 3,000 images for all parents to freely use. My youngest is actually really good but a part of me can't help to think that my contributions help.

If it's fun... let it go. Just my point of view.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,482 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Apr 30, 2018 18:38 |  #3

I shoot public events mostly for the joy of it. I am there anyway so i might as well take pictures. I post my images on my personal site (hosted through SmugMug) and the images are available for download at a minimal price (cents on the dollar) with the option to purchase prints through a print house. If a visitor wants something, it's on the site. If it's not on the site, it's not available. Makes my life easy and visitors can settle for something else if they really want it. Otherwise it's too much of a hassle because soon it breaks down to, "you did it for so-and-so, why can't you do it for me."

I don't make a killing but a few bucks here and there can offset the price of a lens down the road.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2018 18:46 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #4

okay, so i misspoke...

im not under contract with the team, im shooting on speculation, but its fun. when i was in the photojournalism business, shooting sports was far more fun for me, than shooting "feature" stuff. "news events" fell in between the two. make a little bit more sense?

in not looking to get rich, but i carry insurance on my gear and myself because i DO shoot for pay, under contract, for some stuff. would i like to get some sort of "guaranteed revenue stream" from this? sure but the only work that gets paid for, with the teams (any sports team) are the T&I photos at the end of the season...

if its a hobby for you, good for you. ive got prints for sale and i do sell some. not enough to quit my day job, but i make enough to be in the black usually...

ive given away images and sold images, but my goal is to sell images...

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2018 18:48 |  #5

-Duck- wrote in post #18616970 (external link)
I shoot public events mostly for the joy of it. I am there anyway so i might as well take pictures. I post my images on my personal site (hosted through SmugMug) and the images are available for download at a minimal price (cents on the dollar) with the option to purchase prints through a print house. If a visitor wants something, it's on the site. If it's not on the site, it's not available. Makes my life easy and visitors can settle for something else if they really want it. Otherwise it's too much of a hassle because soon it breaks down to, "you did it for so-and-so, why can't you do it for me."

I don't make a killing but a few bucks here and there can offset the price of a lens down the road.

exactly...

see my previous reply. i make enough to keep the infernals off my back and keep moving...

Jethr0
892 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 30, 2018 19:30 |  #6

How much would you pay for a digital file of your kid at a thing like this ?
$200? I wouldn’t pay that. And I love my kids lots ;-)a

But seriously. Put a $10 or some other reasonable price on a digital download. You’ve already done the work. For the likely 1% that will actually buy it’s not worth it to alienate them and make zero %.

Just my opinion.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2018 20:22 as a reply to  @ Jethr0's post |  #7

considering ive got a 5d3, 70-200 f2.8, grip, CF cards, software for processing, id say ive paid about $4,500 for images of my daughter...

i explained in my reply, that im already selling the product she's looking for and she can download the digital image for social media for free...

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 30, 2018 20:51 |  #8

I show up at a lot of neice/nephew/grandkids events just to take photos. If anyone asks, I'll shoot their kids, too. All I ask for is an email address. I send 'em whatever I shot; no PP at all, that is on them. Lots of folks seem to really appreciate that.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

Jethr0
892 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 30, 2018 20:57 as a reply to  @ Ltdave's post |  #9

The reality is that the general public doesn’t care. At all.
I lugged around 15k worth of gear this past weekend at a race track and gave away pics to whoever asked for them. One guy is the owner of Life Storage apparently. Millionaire? Whatever. He had a nice race car. He was jazzed about the pics.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,514 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2018 21:12 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18617065 (external link)
I show up at a lot of neice/nephew/grandkids events just to take photos. If anyone asks, I'll shoot their kids, too. All I ask for is an email address. I send 'em whatever I shot; no PP at all, that is on them. Lots of folks seem to really appreciate that.

family is one thing. i wouldnt expect you to charge family. not saying it doesnt happen but family is family...

Jethr0 wrote in post #18617071 (external link)
The reality is that the general public doesn’t care. At all.
I lugged around 15k worth of gear this past weekend at a race track and gave away pics to whoever asked for them. One guy is the owner of Life Storage apparently. Millionaire? Whatever. He had a nice race car. He was jazzed about the pics.

well, im glad youre happy giving away your work. im not going to...

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,675 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 22 days ago by MalVeauX. (4 edits in all)

Apr 30, 2018 21:21 |  #11

Separate business from fun.

Your expectations for your "work" is unrealistic, in this context. Shooting some kids venues is not a business in the sense of what you want it to be. Everyone's recording/photographin​g with their phones. Even producing better photos, isn't enough to compete with it. You're fighting to ask for money for what they already assume is free, or close to free. And then ask for a ridiculous sum ($200). Completely unrealistic.

I think its appropriate to redirect requests to social media for free images. If you want to sell a high resolution "for print potential" image, then charge for that appropriately, but understand, $200 isn't it, maybe $2~5 tops per image and you might get a bite. Maybe.

But they probably don't truly understand the difference between asking for your RAW file, versus a low resolution JPG on social media. And you really have to separate what you consider business material from random snaps of someone else's kid.

This is not the venue to monetize your photos. This is a venue to network, which is far more valuable for generating paying photo gigs. Ie, "here's a free photo of your kid, want a birthday or private session, here's my number...."

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,536 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 30, 2018 21:51 |  #12

I'm still stuck on the shooting for fun. Who cares. Nobody asked you to be there nor voluntarily hired you. Your just there just like they are. Nobody cares you have expensive camera stuff. I've spent 5x than you on camera stuff and I suspect you don't care that I did it. I enjoy shooting because it's fun. I give the photos to people because the smile is payment enough. If I was to charge for something like this it would be $2-5 max but remember... even if you watermark stuff people will just post that image of a watermark up. Screencapture kills it.

Remember... I can get a $150 rebel and a $150 tamron lens and basically match what you do. Thats how they feel... they are not gear junkies they just see you with a big camera and they have one too.

Most importantly... don't forget to sit with the family and enjoy every know and then. I shot way too much in the past... for nothing. Just personal gain. I sit alot now. I still shoot alot but it's not excessive. The best memories are the ones that are forgotten that are remembered a time or two later in life.

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005

May 01, 2018 02:23 |  #13

Some people always want more, you’ve offered her the print so I’d leave it at that. I love shooting but rarely give it away, it pays my bills and I think people devalue my work if they ask for free images. Treat it like a business, act professional and try to find reasonable solutions to potential clients problems.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,171 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Nov 2009

May 01, 2018 02:29 |  #14

Ltdave wrote in post #18616931 (external link)
I shoot my daughter's highschool's football games, mostly for fun. I DO load the images to my zenfolio page, in case any parent wants to buy prints or download a social media res digital image...

Had a mom, ask me if the digital file was available, IF she bought a print. I told her about the social media files and she said "thanks"...

Then again today, I get asked "can she download a digital file" because she wants an 18x24 print for her son's graduation party, and "how much would it cost"...

for crying out loud lady! Im about to reply with the products that I offer (16x24, 20x24 and 20x30) and that if she really wants a digital file, it will be $200.

too much? should i just tell her the digital file isnt available for sale? just wash my hands in the whole deal?

So a woman wants to buy an image from you, and she has contacted you twice.

I wouldn't call that persistent, and I don't understand why you are getting so irate about it.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 01, 2018 05:30 |  #15

Ltdave wrote in post #18617084 (external link)
family is one thing. i wouldnt expect you to charge family. not saying it doesnt happen but family is family...

You seem to have missed the key word in my post: ANYONE.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

sponsored links

1,945 views & 35 likes for this thread
persistent mom, thats for sure
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.