Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 May 2018 (Thursday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focus Confirm Beep

Lyndön
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

May 06, 2018 15:48 |  #16

Turning the beep off is one of the first things I do when I get a new camera. The last time I thought it was helpful was in the mid-80’s when I got my first SLR with AF (Minolta MAXXUM with one center AF point) and liked the assurance that it was done focusing so I could then recompose and take my shot.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links
Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,611 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 06, 2018 20:41 |  #17

Wilt wrote in post #18620689 (external link)
The volume of the beep has to be turned up while outside, to overcome ambient noise of traffic or people at the sporting event.
Same volume moved indoors has to be turned down, or be obtrusive during events/weddings.
Simpler to have the visual flash red in the viewfinder and never have to worry about the beep volume being appropriate, such as the 7DII can do.

Different strokes for different folks.

I do have the flash red in the viewfinder, but it is not very visible under bright sun conditions. It was the case with almost all the Canons that I have had.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,783 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2018 01:53 |  #18

I never use the beep, normally, but did turn it on on two cameras I had at hand.
I can confirm that the beep in my 1DX Mark II is a little softer than it is in the 1DX.
Now I've turned them both off again.

Anders

chuckmiller
567 posts
Joined May 2012

May 10, 2018 18:52 |  #19

I don't use the beep either but with it on you don't have to look away from your central subject to look down for the focus confirmation dot.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,816 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 10, 2018 20:11 |  #20

i like the beep because with it i know that i'm in one-shot focus...and when it's not beeping i'm in AI servo...without the beep on a few times i definitely thought i was in servo...until i looked at the photos where i thought it was tracking...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,783 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 11, 2018 04:45 |  #21

That's one good thing with the later cameras, like the 1DX Mark II. You can see if you are in One shot or Servo AF already in the viewfinder.
It also gives you a visual confirmation, with the AF point(s) used, that focusing is completed. No beeps needed.

The 1DX doesn't give you this indication with the AF point you are using directly during normal shooting in daylight. You have to either look at the green blob below the viewfinder, or the AF symbol in the lower right of the viewfinder.
However, it does allow you to change the AF point illumination setting from AUTO (illuminate when it's dark) to ON (always illuminate). Then you get the same brief red flash of the AF point when focusing is confirmed as the 1DX Mark II does, just not as bright. It may be difficult to see in sunlight. As the points are always illuminated in the 1DX Mark II, it instead has a brightness setting for the illumination. Hence you can make it bright enough to see in good sunlight too.
Well, there's yet another trick, but it takes that you have stored a home point in the camera and aren't using that point for focusing. Until focusing has been confirmed, the HP will keep on flashing in the viewfinder, to let you know where it is. But once focusing is completed, it disappears.

I know they cost a lot, but the 1DX cameras aren't only about speed and weight. They give you a lot of options too.

Anders

Nick5
Goldmember
2,953 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 11, 2018 08:12 |  #22

DreDaze wrote in post #18623482 (external link)
i like the beep because with it i know that i'm in one-shot focus...and when it's not beeping i'm in AI servo...without the beep on a few times i definitely thought i was in servo...until i looked at the photos where i thought it was tracking...

Oh soooooo many times....
Another issue solved was the dreaded "BULB" Mode....
Years back on the 7D along with the Black Rapid Strap, my Camera would switch from M to BULB all of the time. Then Canon introduced the Locking Mode Dial. No more BULB......
Now if the Viewfinder had the MODE displayed like today's newer bodies, this BULB Frustration may have prevented me for that dreaded SIGH........
5D Mark III.........

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

sponsored links

1,065 views & 2 likes for this thread
Focus Confirm Beep
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.