Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 05 May 2018 (Saturday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first and only white (leucistic) squirrel

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
14,032 posts
Gallery: 1301 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

May 05, 2018 18:37 |  #1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
13,641 posts
Gallery: 1904 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 17 days ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

May 05, 2018 20:04 |  #2

I wonder if there are more critters with this condition these days or is it we all have cameras ??? As a younger person I dont remember seeing any

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
14,032 posts
Gallery: 1301 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

May 05, 2018 20:30 |  #3

Pondrader wrote in post #18620222 (external link)
I wonder if there are more critters with this condition these days or is it we all have cameras ??? As a younger person I dont remember seeing any

Good question Jeff. I've never ever seen one until we sidetracked into the Brevard NC area on the way home from a trip. Evidently they have hundreds there. I was wondering if we would see one and did within 5 min's of being in town.
I had to think of our Red-tails and the way these white ones just stick out. Seems it would be easy pickings :)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Pondrader
13,641 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 05, 2018 21:12 |  #4

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18620229 (external link)
Good question Jeff. I've never ever seen one until we sidetracked into the Brevard NC area on the way home from a trip. Evidently they have hundreds there. I was wondering if we would see one and did within 5 min's of being in town.
I had to think of our Red-tails and the way these white ones just stick out. Seems it would be easy pickings :)

I know I've seen a few birds, blue jay, Chickadee, nuthatch's. never seen a squirrel.

flickr (external link)

Jack ­ Dawe
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Gallery: 169 photos
Joined Jul 2008

May 07, 2018 17:42 |  #5

Remarkable. I've seen this in birds, but never in a squirrel.

Canon 7D2 · 50 f/1.8 · 17-55 f/2.8 IS · 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM · 100 f/2.8 Macro · 100-400 L IS II
Picture editing is OK. CC always welcome.

snow14
34 posts
Joined Apr 2018

May 07, 2018 20:47 |  #6

awesome shot

tombrewer
254 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2006

May 08, 2018 07:29 |  #7

Nice catch. I saw one in our neighborhood a few weeks ago. I have been looking for him but he seems to have disappeared. We do have several cats on the street.

Canon 7D, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 18-55,, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 17-40mm f4L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon TC EF 2x III., TAMRON SP 150-600mm 5-6.3 Di VC USD, Manfrotto 055CXPro tripod,RRS BH-40 LR,Flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,872 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 08, 2018 09:30 |  #8

Pondrader wrote in post #18620252 (external link)
I know I've seen a few birds, blue jay, Chickadee, nuthatch's. never seen a squirrel.

Jack Dawe wrote in post #18621447 (external link)
Remarkable. I've seen this in birds, but never in a squirrel.

This is interesting. . I've seen it many times in squirrels, but never in a bird.

I did see a much-paler-than-usual Great-horned Owl once, but it wasn't leucistic; it was the Taiga phase.

And of course I've seen leucistic Whitetail Deer and Mule Deer.

But I don't remember seeing any wild birds that were leucistic.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pondrader
13,641 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 14 days ago by Pondrader.

May 08, 2018 11:56 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18621859 (external link)
This is interesting. . I've seen it many times in squirrels, but never in a bird.

I did see a much-paler-than-usual Great-horned Owl once, but it wasn't leucistic; it was the Taiga phase.

And of course I've seen leucistic Whitetail Deer and Mule Deer.

But I don't remember seeing any wild birds that were leucistic.

I had the one Tom.. but I've seen a few.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Pondrader's gallery.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,872 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 08, 2018 11:59 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #10

That is absolutely tremendous, Jeff!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pondrader
13,641 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 08, 2018 12:01 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #11

He was a very special little dude.. Spent his winters here at my house and always left for the summer months.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,872 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 08, 2018 13:37 |  #12

Pondrader wrote in post #18621961 (external link)
He was a very special little dude.. Spent his winters here at my house and always left for the summer months.

A white bird in winter snow ....... does it get any better than that?!

Sounds
70 posts
Joined Jun 2015

May 12, 2018 12:02 |  #13

Amazing...... Robert can you tell me what species please,obviously and of incredible sadness,to us brits,a grey sqiggle from the states has pretty much usurped our native red. Brought here by some stupid moron lord as per normal with devasting effect,our Red is much loved and sadly missed now from many parts of our country

I'm very curious if this is the same species? I know little of leucism here in the greys Rob,but i'm pretty sure we do have melanistic varients here in the grey population thanks for sharing not something I have seen many times in images .

We see this in birds too,Jeff man that little sweetie is so cute,banging image to boot TFS on that one aswell.

We see pale fallow deer here mind they seem very prone to colour varients dark phases too, not so much in the other deer here.

lovely thread to read guys thanks so much

stu

cfdesigns
307 posts
Gallery: 179 photos
Joined Apr 2017

May 12, 2018 21:31 |  #14

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18620185 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MedicineMan4040 in
./showthread.php?p=186​20185&i=i150454797
forum: Wildlife

I see a ton of these every summer running around downtown. Never saw them anywhere else.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,872 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 13, 2018 11:04 |  #15

cfdesigns wrote in post #18624724 (external link)
I see a ton of these every summer running around downtown. Never saw them anywhere else.

Downtown ...... of which town / city?

sponsored links

671 views & 20 likes for this thread
My first and only white (leucistic) squirrel
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.