Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 May 2018 (Monday) 21:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best on-location strobe system?

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited 10 days ago by Van Gogh.

May 14, 2018 21:50 |  #1

Dear forum members,

What would be the best on-location lighting solution for outside shoot portions of wedding/portrait sessions?

A little bit background about me.
I have been shooting weddings/engagements/p​ortrait sessions for the last 3 years and now I feel like I have outgrown my speedlight setup.
I usually just use 1 speed-light attached to a light stand with a softbox for the lighting outside. I have tried using 3 speedlights together but the setup feels heavy and takes time to do and usually I just don't use this setup.

I am looking for
1) Something that is relatively lightweight (so that I don't feel like not even taking with me, and besides weddings are hectic and the easier to carry lighting the better).
2) The more powerful the light the better I suppose but criteria #1 (light-weightiness) still takes priority.
3) A strobe system that is reliable and of good build quality that will last for years.
4) The flash has to have HSS capability.
5) Budget is of small concern and am ready to pay premium if any potential lighting system meets the above mentioned features better.

As per my own research I have come to 2 options but more options are welcome.
I am deciding between Profoto B2 and Elinchrom ELB 500 TTL.
ELB 500 TTL seems to be better in every way, 2x more light out put power and 30% cheaper, so leaning more towards it now...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

sponsored links
MayaTlab
95 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited 9 days ago by MayaTlab.

May 15, 2018 05:47 |  #2

Van Gogh wrote in post #18625840 (external link)
Dear forum members,

I am deciding between Profoto B2 and Elinchrom ELB 500 TTL.
ELB 500 TTL seems to be better in every way, 2x more light out put power and 30% cheaper, so leaning more towards it now...

Any suggestions?

Well it might be if you read a spec sheet. Advice : don't base your decision on a spec sheet.

A pretty good illustration of that is weight. For example : the Profoto B2 head is listed at around 700g I believe. But that's without the light stand mount, which is a pretty beefy metal piece which you're unlikely not to use. In practice it's more like a 950g head. In the same vein, the Quadra head's listed weight of 650g or so may in practice not be what you'll be carrying if you systematically feel the need to use the Quadra adapter with it (which is very likely). What about the weight of the carrying bag ? or the charger ? or the modifiers you'll have to carry to get X specific type of light quality with x strobe ? etc :D... All of these details, added up, make the listed weight pretty much irrelevant in my eyes.

In actual use, one or the other might be even better than you thought. Or a lot worse. It all depends on you and what you want or expect. For example for my own use a B2 system is significantly more compact to pack, in real life. But it might not be for your intended use. What about remote design ? cable locking mechanism ? light stand mount ? System interaction ? Renting availability ? Radio system (you'd be surprised how significantly differently they behave and how much that can impact your shooting) ? Etc...

In your case I would also give a long, hard look at Godox's system as well. Particularly the AD600 pro.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,216 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 9 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.

May 15, 2018 07:21 |  #3

http://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1490770

http://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1473673

http://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1495784

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Grumpy_one
574 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 9 days ago by Grumpy_one.

May 15, 2018 10:54 |  #4

I've been doing outdoor sports team photography for over 5 years now, and made the jump from speedlights to studio strobes. Went with Godox AD600's. No battery packs or cords, I went with Cheetah QSB 34's, couldn't be any happier. We did a shoot (on mothers day yeesh) and it was blistering sun. We did 21 teams, the challenge was keeping the sun to their backs, but we were able to keep up at just under half power keeping up with the bright sun. I'll edit in the set up pic later. Ordered a few AD200's too, have yet to use those.

I was looking at the Prophoto B2's as well after seeing them in use at a function, price, battery pack, drove me towards Godox. No trigger's, just the commander on the camera. Very easy to use.

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited 9 days ago by Van Gogh.

May 15, 2018 12:35 |  #5

Grumpy_one wrote in post #18626126 (external link)
I've been doing outdoor sports team photography for over 5 years now, and made the jump from speedlights to studio strobes. Went with Godox AD600's. No battery packs or cords, I went with Cheetah QSB 34's, couldn't be any happier. We did a shoot (on mothers day yeesh) and it was blistering sun. We did 21 teams, the challenge was keeping the sun to their backs, but we were able to keep up at just under half power keeping up with the bright sun. I'll edit in the set up pic later. Ordered a few AD200's too, have yet to use those.

I was looking at the Prophoto B2's as well after seeing them in use at a function, price, battery pack, drove me towards Godox. No trigger's, just the commander on the camera. Very easy to use.

But a lot of people consider the battery being separate from the head like in B2 actually its advantage.
If using light stand the battery acts like a sandbag and if a lighting assistant holds the light they carry the battery on shoulder/belt and as head is lighter, its easier to hold...

Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

imajin
227 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 9 days ago by imajin.

May 15, 2018 15:17 |  #6

The AD600 has that capability too with the ADH600 accessory head.
And soon the AD200's will too.

John

Van ­ Gogh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jun 2013

May 15, 2018 22:29 |  #7

Well noticed there was a sale in one of Toronto's photography stores if I got the Profoto B1X head got a free Air TTL controller ($500 worth) so I took the plunge and bought it, got the last unit too lol.
Now am going back in tomorrow to pick the 2x2' OCF Octabox softbox as my first starter modifier!

sponsored links

370 views & 3 likes for this thread
Best on-location strobe system?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.