Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 May 2018 (Wednesday) 13:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropped a filter

Astro ­ City ­ Ninja
20 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 16, 2018 13:31 |  #1

I just dropped one of my 77mm nd filters. Luckily nothing cracked but the glass is now loose inside of it's ring. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to secure it back in place? I was thinking of trying to use a bit of thin grade super glue. Will it hold up to acetone to remove any residue, if I get any drips? I know it should still work fine since it's not variable, but I just can't stand that "loose" feeling. Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,673 posts
Gallery: 1080 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 5 days ago by MalVeauX.

May 16, 2018 13:34 |  #2

Look closely on the inside of the filter housing, you might find a small notch sometimes. That notch is essentially a place for you to get a grip with a small tool and unscrew the housing that presses the filter into place. If not, the inner housing should unscrew if you can find a way to grip the filter housing on the inside and unscrew it (unless its glued).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)
For sale: Sekonic Litemaster L-478D (Free Shipping)

Astro ­ City ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 16, 2018 13:38 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

Awesome, thank you so much! Checking now!

Astro ­ City ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 16, 2018 13:46 |  #4

I was able to pop the ring back into place! It just sort of "skipped" thread. I had no idea it was threaded! Thank you so much! You just made my day! I am actually curious though- what is the purpose of it being threaded? Are these made to be replaced? Or is it just the way it's manufactured?

MalVeauX
12,673 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 16, 2018 13:50 |  #5

Depends on the manufacture, but basically, most filters are a piece of glass and are standard diameter sizes. The housing for the filters are made separate. Most of them are made so that the outer filter housing is larger than the diameter of the filter, to accept the filter into it. Then an internal ring threads down to sandwich the an outer housing and the inner housing with the glass between them. Makes it physical secure and unable to fall out. Filters that are simply glued in place are poor quality usually, because if the bond breaks, the glass can fall out.

You can actually buy filter housing on their own, and put whatever filters you want in them. All kinds of sizes. You can buy the filter glass on its own too, minus a housing. Most folk just buy a pre-housed filter though.

Very best,

Astro ­ City ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 16, 2018 14:07 |  #6

Ah, that makes sense. So, I'm wondering if I should unscrew it and then glue it back in place or if I should just let sleeping dogs lie. Seems to be alright as of right now. Not like it's a huge purchase or anything but I do enjoy taking stuff apart and tinkering.

MalVeauX
12,673 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 16, 2018 14:16 |  #7

Astro City Ninja wrote in post #18626853 (external link)
Ah, that makes sense. So, I'm wondering if I should unscrew it and then glue it back in place or if I should just let sleeping dogs lie. Seems to be alright as of right now. Not like it's a huge purchase or anything but I do enjoy taking stuff apart and tinkering.

I wouldn't glue it. The compression alone should hold it in place. Just don't over-tighten, as it can fracture the filter.

Taking it apart so you can see how it all goes together, that's another story. It may be worth it just to make sure the filter is straight and not at an angle.

Very best,

Astro ­ City ­ Ninja
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 16, 2018 15:00 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #8

Yeah, I'm going to leave it be. Good call on the angle though, I hadn't considered that either. Looks to be ok as the same number of threads are showing all the way around the piece and it feels secure. Sorry to keep bothering- is there a special tool that you can purchase to unscrew it? Or would I just use a paper clip. It's a Tiffen 77mm nd filter. There are divots on each side across from one another so I'm imagining a caliper type tool that fits in both for leverage.

MalVeauX
12,673 posts
Joined Feb 2013

May 16, 2018 15:04 |  #9

There's several tools, but there's also several styles of filter housing, so there isn't one universal thing to do.

Very best,

sponsored links

153 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dropped a filter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.