Canon 5D RAW+JPEG - JPEG Portrait Rotation Problem

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 27 Mar 2006 (Monday) 17:40   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

StephenJames
Joined Mar 2005
85 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've noticed that if I shoot RAW+JPEG or just JPEG even, that when the JPEGS are copied from the CF card onto the hard drive and then viewed in something like Windows Explorer or ACDSee the images that were shot in vertically portrait style are not rotated properly but are on their side, showing landscape style. Is there any fix for this that anyone knows of? Its very annoying. I try looking at them in photoshop and they are fine, but it makes it difficult when I want to quickly put the JPEGS shot alongside the RAW files on a CD to give to the client. Thanks in advance.

Post #1, Mar 27, 2006 17:40:21

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EOS 7D | Canon EOS 70D
70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II | 50mm 1.4 | 16-35mm f/ 2.8 L | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
boink
Joined Mar 2006
235 posts
Kalamazoo, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

turn off auto rotate? I'm pretty sure there is one in the camera.

Post #2, Mar 27, 2006 18:51:13

//Canon EOS 30D //Sigma 17-70mm
//Canon EF 70-300mm //Canon Speedlite 430EX
//Apple Macbook 13" (black) //Adobe Design Premium CS3
//full gear list + pictures

StephenJames
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2005
85 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

boink wrote:
turn off auto rotate? I'm pretty sure there is one in the camera.

Ill try that. Thanks. :)

Post #3, Mar 27, 2006 19:17:33 as a reply to boink's post 26 minutes earlier.

70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II | 50mm 1.4 | 16-35mm f/ 2.8 L | 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,194 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

StephenJames wrote:
I've noticed that if I shoot RAW+JPEG or just JPEG even, that when the JPEGS are copied from the CF card onto the hard drive and then viewed in something like Windows Explorer or ACDSee the images that were shot in vertically portrait style are not rotated properly but are on their side, showing landscape style. Is there any fix for this that anyone knows of? Its very annoying. I try looking at them in photoshop and they are fine, but it makes it difficult when I want to quickly put the JPEGS shot alongside the RAW files on a CD to give to the client. Thanks in advance.

Canon, like most other manufacturers, doesn't actually rotate the images when you turn on Auto-Rotate. In about JPEG 2.2 the standard added an "Image Rotation" flag which tells compliant programs which corner's the upper left. Windows Explorer isn't a compliant program. Most photo viewing or image editing applications, however, are. For instance Irfanviewexternal link does recognize this flag.

Post #4, Mar 28, 2006 10:14:57

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

StephenJames
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2005
85 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I find it very odd that if you save a portrait jpg from photoshop, it shows properly in internet explorer. What does photoshop add to the file that tells explorer to show it this way that the camera does not? Weird huh?

Post #5, Mar 29, 2006 21:45:07

sponsored links
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,194 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

StephenJames wrote:
I find it very odd that if you save a portrait jpg from photoshop, it shows properly in internet explorer. What does photoshop add to the file that tells explorer to show it this way that the camera does not? Weird huh?

It actually saves a new, rotated, image.

Post #6, Mar 30, 2006 15:21:28 as a reply to StephenJames's post 17 hours earlier.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

vandee
Hatchling
Joined May 2007
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been having an intermittent, yet completely maddening problem -- I photoshop a vertical image and then save it as such and then when I re-open it in Photoshop, PS rotates the image automatically 90 degrees to make it a horizonal image, even though it shouldn't be horizontal.

If I rotate the image back to being vertical and save it as such again and then try to re-open it again, PS automatically rotates it back again 90 degress to a horizontal image.

What's really weird is that the image shows up as a vertical image in its icon and in every other image viewer I use to open it. For some reason, PS has some preference that does this "auto rotate" that I don't want.

Anyone out there know how to heck to turn this off? I have no clue what preference I accidentally activated to cause this. I've tried Googling and Googling and this forum was the only page I could find that even remotely addressed this issue.

I should also mention that it doesn't happen with every image I've shot -- only some. I have no idea why.

Thanks in advance.

Post #7, May 18, 2007 12:27:12 as a reply to Jon's post over 1 year earlier.

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,194 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

vandee wrote in post #3227472external link
I've been having an intermittent, yet completely maddening problem -- I photoshop a vertical image and then save it as such and then when I re-open it in Photoshop, PS rotates the image automatically 90 degrees to make it a horizonal image, even though it shouldn't be horizontal.

If I rotate the image back to being vertical and save it as such again and then try to re-open it again, PS automatically rotates it back again 90 degress to a horizontal image.

What's really weird is that the image shows up as a vertical image in its icon and in every other image viewer I use to open it. For some reason, PS has some preference that does this "auto rotate" that I don't want.

Anyone out there know how to heck to turn this off? I have no clue what preference I accidentally activated to cause this. I've tried Googling and Googling and this forum was the only page I could find that even remotely addressed this issue.

I should also mention that it doesn't happen with every image I've shot -- only some. I have no idea why.

Thanks in advance.

Photohop's saving the rotated image in its rotated orientation, but isn't resetting the orientation flag which tells EXIF 2.x-compliant programs which end is up. Consequently everything that uses the orientation flag cranks another 90 deg. rotation onto the picture when displaying it.

Post #8, May 19, 2007 19:52:34

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

vandee
Hatchling
Joined May 2007
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the explanation -- but how do I get PS to stop doing that?

Jon wrote in post #3233434external link
Photohop's saving the rotated image in its rotated orientation, but isn't resetting the orientation flag which tells EXIF 2.x-compliant programs which end is up. Consequently everything that uses the orientation flag cranks another 90 deg. rotation onto the picture when displaying it.

Post #9, May 21, 2007 12:37:43

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,194 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

There should be a switch setting in there somewhere about "reset orientation flag" or similar. I don't use PhotoShop, so can't help on where, but other programs have this.

Post #10, May 23, 2007 07:29:56

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

vandee
Hatchling
Joined May 2007
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Jon wrote in post #3252674external link
There should be a switch setting in there somewhere about "reset orientation flag" or similar. I don't use PhotoShop, so can't help on where, but other programs have this.

Okay, thanks anyway.

Post #11, May 23, 2007 16:08:34

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D RAW+JPEG - JPEG Portrait Rotation Problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES