Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of March 2006 (Mon)   #1
StephenJames

Default Canon 5D RAW+JPEG - JPEG Portrait Rotation Problem

I've noticed that if I shoot RAW+JPEG or just JPEG even, that when the JPEGS are copied from the CF card onto the hard drive and then viewed in something like Windows Explorer or ACDSee the images that were shot in vertically portrait style are not rotated properly but are on their side, showing landscape style. Is there any fix for this that anyone knows of? Its very annoying. I try looking at them in photoshop and they are fine, but it makes it difficult when I want to quickly put the JPEGS shot alongside the RAW files on a CD to give to the client. Thanks in advance.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of March 2006 (Mon)   #2
boink

Default Re: Canon 5D RAW+JPEG - JPEG Portrait Rotation Problem

turn off auto rotate? I'm pretty sure there is one in the camera.

//full gear list + pictures
boink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of March 2006 (Mon)   #3
StephenJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by boink
turn off auto rotate? I'm pretty sure there is one in the camera.
Ill try that. Thanks.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #4
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenJames
I've noticed that if I shoot RAW+JPEG or just JPEG even, that when the JPEGS are copied from the CF card onto the hard drive and then viewed in something like Windows Explorer or ACDSee the images that were shot in vertically portrait style are not rotated properly but are on their side, showing landscape style. Is there any fix for this that anyone knows of? Its very annoying. I try looking at them in photoshop and they are fine, but it makes it difficult when I want to quickly put the JPEGS shot alongside the RAW files on a CD to give to the client. Thanks in advance.
Canon, like most other manufacturers, doesn't actually rotate the images when you turn on Auto-Rotate. In about JPEG 2.2 the standard added an "Image Rotation" flag which tells compliant programs which corner's the upper left. Windows Explorer isn't a compliant program. Most photo viewing or image editing applications, however, are. For instance Irfanview does recognize this flag.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2006 (Wed)   #5
StephenJames

I find it very odd that if you save a portrait jpg from photoshop, it shows properly in internet explorer. What does photoshop add to the file that tells explorer to show it this way that the camera does not? Weird huh?
Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #6
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenJames
I find it very odd that if you save a portrait jpg from photoshop, it shows properly in internet explorer. What does photoshop add to the file that tells explorer to show it this way that the camera does not? Weird huh?
It actually saves a new, rotated, image.

Cocker Spaniels

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Old 18th of May 2007 (Fri)   #7
vandee

I've been having an intermittent, yet completely maddening problem -- I photoshop a vertical image and then save it as such and then when I re-open it in Photoshop, PS rotates the image automatically 90 degrees to make it a horizonal image, even though it shouldn't be horizontal.

If I rotate the image back to being vertical and save it as such again and then try to re-open it again, PS automatically rotates it back again 90 degress to a horizontal image.

What's really weird is that the image shows up as a vertical image in its icon and in every other image viewer I use to open it. For some reason, PS has some preference that does this "auto rotate" that I don't want.

Anyone out there know how to heck to turn this off? I have no clue what preference I accidentally activated to cause this. I've tried Googling and Googling and this forum was the only page I could find that even remotely addressed this issue.

I should also mention that it doesn't happen with every image I've shot -- only some. I have no idea why.

Thanks in advance.
vandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2007 (Sat)   #8
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandee View Post
I've been having an intermittent, yet completely maddening problem -- I photoshop a vertical image and then save it as such and then when I re-open it in Photoshop, PS rotates the image automatically 90 degrees to make it a horizonal image, even though it shouldn't be horizontal.

If I rotate the image back to being vertical and save it as such again and then try to re-open it again, PS automatically rotates it back again 90 degress to a horizontal image.

What's really weird is that the image shows up as a vertical image in its icon and in every other image viewer I use to open it. For some reason, PS has some preference that does this "auto rotate" that I don't want.

Anyone out there know how to heck to turn this off? I have no clue what preference I accidentally activated to cause this. I've tried Googling and Googling and this forum was the only page I could find that even remotely addressed this issue.

I should also mention that it doesn't happen with every image I've shot -- only some. I have no idea why.

Thanks in advance.
Photohop's saving the rotated image in its rotated orientation, but isn't resetting the orientation flag which tells EXIF 2.x-compliant programs which end is up. Consequently everything that uses the orientation flag cranks another 90 deg. rotation onto the picture when displaying it.

Cocker Spaniels

Old 21st of May 2007 (Mon)   #9
vandee

Thanks for the explanation -- but how do I get PS to stop doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Photohop's saving the rotated image in its rotated orientation, but isn't resetting the orientation flag which tells EXIF 2.x-compliant programs which end is up. Consequently everything that uses the orientation flag cranks another 90 deg. rotation onto the picture when displaying it.
Old 23rd of May 2007 (Wed)   #10
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

There should be a switch setting in there somewhere about "reset orientation flag" or similar. I don't use PhotoShop, so can't help on where, but other programs have this.

Cocker Spaniels

Old 23rd of May 2007 (Wed)   #11
vandee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
There should be a switch setting in there somewhere about "reset orientation flag" or similar. I don't use PhotoShop, so can't help on where, but other programs have this.

Okay, thanks anyway.