FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 27 Mar 2006 (Monday) 19:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

bravo
Joined Jan 2006
87 posts
Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

I am looking for a camera bag, backpack, in which I can carry my 600mm f/4 and body. I do not need to carry much else besides that.
What about the LOWEPRO LENS TREKKER 600 AW SHOULDER BACKPACK ?

Post #1, Mar 27, 2006 19:41:06

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
formula4speed
Joined Apr 2005
903 posts
Delaware
[MORE/SHARE]

Check out www.kinesisgear.comexternal link they make cases for specific lenses (L621 is probably what you want) and you can order it with a harness to convert it into a backpack. This will allow you to carry your 600 with a body attached, with an extra pocket on the front that could hold another body or lenses.

Post #2, Mar 28, 2006 10:45:09

I'm taking pictures of everything, so go ahead and take this place away from me.

5DII, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, ZE 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4L, ZE 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 580 EX

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
Joined Jan 2003
18,065 posts
The middle of the UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I use the hard case it came in as it doubles as a seat when knackered from the effort of carrying it in the hard case it came in as it doubles as a seat when knackered from the effort of carrying it in the hard case it came in as it doubles as a seat when knackered from the effort of carrying it in the hard case it came in.

A truly circular argument ;)

N

Post #3, Mar 28, 2006 10:59:37 as a reply to formula4speed's post 14 minutes earlier.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Siteexternal link - Video Siteexternal link - Blog -external linkGear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,708 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

I second the Kenisis bags..

I have the one that fits the 500mm with a body attached,. it also has a pouch for a full size body on the front (removeable) and lovely mesh side pockets. It also has straps and belts where you can hang other goodies on, like my little 28mm belt pack style lens soft case. (which also fits a 2X t-con perfectly)

It's MUCH lighter weight contruction than any other bag I've worked with,. they really focused on keeping weight down.

In it I can store the 500mm,. two bodies (one attached) 580ex, better beamer, Wimberly flash bracket, and my t-cons and or another lens. (small lens) Empty the thing seems virtually weightless after all the other bags I've worked with.

The hard cases of course are a disappointment as they take up tons of room, weigh a lot and have NO accomodation for anything but the lens.

I believe mine is the 511... I can check when I get home,. but for the 600mm you'll want the 521 so you can have a body attached.

http://www.kinesisgear​.com/images/L511big.jp​gexternal link

Post #4, Mar 28, 2006 11:12:04

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

JayHawk
Joined Dec 2005
157 posts
Chicago Suburbs
[MORE/SHARE]

Lightware makes this case:

http://www.lightwarein​c.com ...s|Rain%20Covers&Cat​_ID=13external link

Cant' comment on on the Kenisis cases, but I've used the Lighware ones, highly recommended, water resistent (not waterproof), and very well insulated (you can section it off and keep your lunch cool as well).

Post #5, Mar 28, 2006 13:05:38 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post 1 hour earlier.

http://jcrihfield.phot​osite.com/external link

sponsored links
bravo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2006
87 posts
Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for all the info. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Post #6, Mar 29, 2006 02:19:43

convergent
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
2,168 posts
Raleigh, NC
[MORE/SHARE]

I've got the Kenesis and a friend has the Lowepro. Looking at them both, I kind of like the Lowepro. The Kenesis is a nice case, and you can remove all the extra pouches and such... where the Lowepro has a built-in backpack strap and is a lot cleaner if you intend to use it as a backpack all the time. By the time you add the cost of the Kenesis back, backpack harness, pouches, etc... it can get pretty pricey and isn't quite as clean. However, you can strip all that stuff off if you wish... or load it up with a million pouches. I got a good buy on a used Kenesis, so that's what I have. One other thing, the Lowepro has a lateral support for the top of the lens to help keep an attached body from being damaged.

Post #7, Mar 29, 2006 07:20:44

Mike - Victory Photoexternal link | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS
Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales
Joined Aug 2003
4,175 posts
Maryland, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I bought the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 for my 500 L, and verified it for use with the 600. It won't work as well with a body on the 600, but it will work. What I like about it is the ability to attach extra pouches to it. I have a tripod, 2 FD-EOS converters, a 400 f4.5 and a 200 f2.8 all attached to it. It makes for a big load, but the bag can handle it.

I hadn't heard of the Kinesis bags befor this, but they look interesting as well.

My 2 cents.

Have Fun,

Post #8, Mar 29, 2006 20:21:45 as a reply to convergent's post 13 hours earlier.

Rick

My Gear list

convergent
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
2,168 posts
Raleigh, NC
[MORE/SHARE]

Kinesis makes a great bunch of bags, with practically endless options... the problem is it can add up to quite a bit of expense as every harness, strap, pouch, etc.... isn't cheap. But you can have one incredible bag to hold anything and everything if you need it. I ususally just bring a shoulder bag with my other gear for now. Eventually I'll look into some other pouches.

Post #9, Mar 30, 2006 10:14:48

Mike - Victory Photoexternal link | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS
Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 posts
San Francisco area
[MORE/SHARE]

bravo wrote:
I am looking for a camera bag, backpack, in which I can carry my 600mm f/4 and body. I do not need to carry much else besides that.
What about the LOWEPRO LENS TREKKER 600 AW SHOULDER BACKPACK ?

One issue with the Lowepro lens trekker is that it is too deep for legal airline carry on size.
That may or may not be an issue for you. The large Kinesis bag may just barely squeek though airline security sizing restraints, but you will have to take the harness and all pouches off of it and carry them seperately in your checked luggage along with your tripod.
I you do want to carry more that the one big lens with you, one backpack that will carry everything is the Think Tank Airport Addicted, which is the largest airline carry on size:
http://www.thinktankph​oto.com/ttp_product_Ar​prtAddctd.phpexternal link
Mike K

Post #10, Mar 30, 2006 14:13:24

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

bravo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2006
87 posts
Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

After alot of resaerch I ended up with the Kinesis bag and I am very happy with it. I can fit my 600 with my 1.4 extender mounted on my 20D body inside the bag.

Thanks for everyones help
Aloha

Post #11, Apr 19, 2006 13:19:18

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,331 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera bag for 600mm f/4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES