Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of March 2006 (Mon)   #1
bravo

Default Camera bag for 600mm f/4

I am looking for a camera bag, backpack, in which I can carry my 600mm f/4 and body. I do not need to carry much else besides that.
What about the LOWEPRO LENS TREKKER 600 AW SHOULDER BACKPACK ?
bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #2
formula4speed

Default Re: Camera bag for 600mm f/4

Check out www.kinesisgear.com they make cases for specific lenses (L621 is probably what you want) and you can order it with a harness to convert it into a backpack. This will allow you to carry your 600 with a body attached, with an extra pocket on the front that could hold another body or lenses.

5DII, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, ZE 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4L, ZE 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 580 EX
formula4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #3
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006

I use the hard case it came in as it doubles as a seat when knackered from the effort of carrying it in the hard case it came in as it doubles as a seat when knackered from the effort of carrying it in the hard case it came in as it doubles as a seat when knackered from the effort of carrying it in the hard case it came in.

A truly circular argument

N
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #4
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

I second the Kenisis bags..

I have the one that fits the 500mm with a body attached,. it also has a pouch for a full size body on the front (removeable) and lovely mesh side pockets. It also has straps and belts where you can hang other goodies on, like my little 28mm belt pack style lens soft case. (which also fits a 2X t-con perfectly)

It's MUCH lighter weight contruction than any other bag I've worked with,. they really focused on keeping weight down.

In it I can store the 500mm,. two bodies (one attached) 580ex, better beamer, Wimberly flash bracket, and my t-cons and or another lens. (small lens) Empty the thing seems virtually weightless after all the other bags I've worked with.

The hard cases of course are a disappointment as they take up tons of room, weigh a lot and have NO accomodation for anything but the lens.

I believe mine is the 511... I can check when I get home,. but for the 600mm you'll want the 521 so you can have a body attached.

http://www.kinesisgear.com/images/L511big.jpg

Last edited by CyberDyneSystems : 28th of March 2006 (Tue) at 11:19.
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #5
JayHawk

Lightware makes this case:

http://www.lightwareinc.com/site/ind...vers&Cat_ID=13

Cant' comment on on the Kenisis cases, but I've used the Lighware ones, highly recommended, water resistent (not waterproof), and very well insulated (you can section it off and keep your lunch cool as well).
JayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2006 (Wed)   #6
bravo

Thanks for all the info. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 29th of March 2006 (Wed)   #7
convergent
Goldmember

I've got the Kenesis and a friend has the Lowepro. Looking at them both, I kind of like the Lowepro. The Kenesis is a nice case, and you can remove all the extra pouches and such... where the Lowepro has a built-in backpack strap and is a lot cleaner if you intend to use it as a backpack all the time. By the time you add the cost of the Kenesis back, backpack harness, pouches, etc... it can get pretty pricey and isn't quite as clean. However, you can strip all that stuff off if you wish... or load it up with a million pouches. I got a good buy on a used Kenesis, so that's what I have. One other thing, the Lowepro has a lateral support for the top of the lens to help keep an attached body from being damaged.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2006 (Wed)   #8
CoolToolGuy
Boosting Ruler Sales

I bought the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 for my 500 L, and verified it for use with the 600. It won't work as well with a body on the 600, but it will work. What I like about it is the ability to attach extra pouches to it. I have a tripod, 2 FD-EOS converters, a 400 f4.5 and a 200 f2.8 all attached to it. It makes for a big load, but the bag can handle it.

I hadn't heard of the Kinesis bags befor this, but they look interesting as well.

My 2 cents.

Have Fun,

My Gear list
CoolToolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #9
convergent
Goldmember

Kinesis makes a great bunch of bags, with practically endless options... the problem is it can add up to quite a bit of expense as every harness, strap, pouch, etc.... isn't cheap. But you can have one incredible bag to hold anything and everything if you need it. I ususally just bring a shoulder bag with my other gear for now. Eventually I'll look into some other pouches.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #10
Mike K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo
I am looking for a camera bag, backpack, in which I can carry my 600mm f/4 and body. I do not need to carry much else besides that.
What about the LOWEPRO LENS TREKKER 600 AW SHOULDER BACKPACK ?
One issue with the Lowepro lens trekker is that it is too deep for legal airline carry on size.
That may or may not be an issue for you. The large Kinesis bag may just barely squeek though airline security sizing restraints, but you will have to take the harness and all pouches off of it and carry them seperately in your checked luggage along with your tripod.
I you do want to carry more that the one big lens with you, one backpack that will carry everything is the Think Tank Airport Addicted, which is the largest airline carry on size:
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_pr...rprtAddctd.php
Mike K
Old 19th of April 2006 (Wed)   #11
bravo

After alot of resaerch I ended up with the Kinesis bag and I am very happy with it. I can fit my 600 with my 1.4 extender mounted on my 20D body inside the bag.

Thanks for everyones help
Aloha