Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #1
col4bin
Goldmember

Default Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM

and some pictures
col4bin is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #2
Double Negative
*sniffles*

Default Re: I don't hear too much about the 16-35L. If you have one, please post your thoughts..

I have one. It's a sweet lens. 16mm on a crop body is fairly wide (FoV 25.6mm equiv). Until I picked up this lens, the widest I had was a 28mm (FoV 44.8mm equiv) so it was quite a welcome change. IQ is very good.
Double Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #3
col4bin
Goldmember

Default Re: I don't hear too much about the 16-35L. If you have one, please post your thoughts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Negative
I have one. It's a sweet lens. 16mm on a crop body is fairly wide (FoV 25.6mm equiv). Until I picked up this lens, the widest I had was a 28mm (FoV 44.8mm equiv) so it was quite a welcome change. IQ is very good.
Would you consider this a good lens for walking around at night?
col4bin is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #4
Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties........ Inventor Great POTN Photo Book

Default Re: I don't hear too much about the 16-35L. If you have one, please post your though

Can't say enough good things about this lens. Most people who need WA won't fork up the cash for it when there's a much cheaper 17-40L, EF-S 10-22 for crop bodies and other third party alternatives available. Most people simply don't need a fast WA zoom. Probably the main reason for the lack of reviews. You'll see this lens used by a lot of professionals and it gets the job done. Those that purchased this lens and expect it to make pancakes for them in the morning are usually the ones posting negative reviews about it. All the negative things people whine about are usually things that are inherent in the design of the lens. I, for one, am not disappointed. It has performed well for me in less than adequate lighting conditions indoors, the primary reason I swapped my 17-40L for the 16-35L in the first place. It's performs like a mid-range zoom on a crop body and is very versatile in the right hands. Not to mention it's great for landscapes and scenery. BTW, I recently posted some scenic shots taken with the 16-35L mounted on my 5D. You should be able to find the link easily if you use the search function. For night shots, I typical resort to my faster primes like my 35L. Keep in mind that every piece of equipment has its pros and cons. Understanding and accepting the capabilities and limitations of your equipment before hand can save you misery later.

EDIT: No need to search. Here you go: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/373835

Last edited by Lord_Malone : 28th of March 2006 (Tue) at 12:31.
Lord_Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #5
JohnnyBlood
User is banned from forums

Love the lens. Here are some shots with my Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM on my 20D:

JohnnyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #6
Lord_Malone

Default Re: I don't hear too much about the 16-35L. If you have one, please post your though

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBlood
Johnny, I need to borrow this shot for my thread... http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=151821

I'll bring it right back. Thanks.
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #7
Specialhawk

I would think you dont hear much about it because of it's little brother.

The 17-40 f/4 is a great lens that MANY people own, they own it for a reason (i love mine). The 16-35 is at least as sharp and a full stop faster.

I think, eventually, i will replace my 17-40 with my 16-35, but at this point in my photography, at 16/17mm, the extra stop of light is just not all that much of a deal to me and i simply cant justify the (nearly) double cost.

Keep in mind, in most situations, there is a much bigger difference between say a 300mm f/4 and a 300mm f/2.8 then a 16mm f/2.8 and a 17mm f/4 simply because you need much higher shutter speeds for pictures used with these lenses then the wide angles.

Alas, and i'll end with this, photography is all about capturing the light...anyone who doesnt want to be able to capture more is a fool
Specialhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #8
Specialhawk

BTW:

Johnny, i take it you are using a graduated ND filter
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #9
Lord_Malone

Okay, Johnny, here's your picture back. Thanks.

Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #10
Dante King
"Cream of Corn" BurgerMeister

Man, I love this lens. cant believe I was with out one for so long. the 16-35 and 24-70 compose most of my travel set. I love the color form this lens.

Here is one for you. I crack up when I view this shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1635a.jpg (99.0 KB, 11289 views)

Gear List
Dante King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #11
Specialhawk

Dang dante, all that nice gear, good tallent, two kids, a pool, a hot blond...how much better can it get?!
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #12
Lord_Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialhawk
Dang dante, all that nice gear, good tallent, two kids, a pool, a hot blond...how much better can it get?!
The man who has everything is missing... hair.
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #13
Dante King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialhawk
Well? I am waiting to find out. I have been pretty lucky. OH wait, "good talent"? WTF, I guess life would be better if they were posting "great talent"! LOL

Gear List
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #14
Dante King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Malone
The man who has everything is missing... hair.
Alright Lord. I'm calling you out. LOL. Actually Colo springs was a hang out for me on my off time from University of Denver. you are not working in cheyenne mountain are you?

No more hair jokes or I'll come over there!

Gear List
Old 28th of March 2006 (Tue)   #15
Lord_Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante King
Alright Lord. I'm calling you out. LOL. Actually Colo springs was a hang out for me on my off time from University of Denver. you are not working in cheyenne mountain are you?

No more hair jokes or I'll come over there!
Does working near Cheyenne Mountain qualify? Okay, Dante. No more hair jokes. Hard to make jokes about something you don't have anyway.