Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #1
buttrfly

Cool Powershot S3 IS vs. Rebel XT slr- need advice

Aloha From Hawaii,

I'm moving to India at the end of the month and want to have a great camera to capture all the incredible imagery I will be experiencing. Have researched cameras quite a bit and have narrowed it down to Canon, either the Powershot S3 IS (to be released any day now) and the Rebel XT slr...

I have heard such rave reviews about the S2 IS from photographers, including a friend who says he loves it so much he hardly uses his slr anymore. I like the idea of it being smaller and lighter with no lense changes so not having to deal with dust (which there is a lot of in India!) It has a 12x zoom with telephoto, so very versatile.

The Rebel is a great camera too, but it's a little bigger and bulkier, have to get lenses, a little more of a show when I'm taking pictures which will draw lots of attention which I'm not keen on either...

Bottom line is I want excellent quality photos, the ability to do continuous shooting at key moments, and to love the camera and what it can do.

Any advice, info, suggestions, pros and cons, etc on either would be incredibly helpful as I need to make my decision asap!

Thanks so much....
Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #2
RossW

Default Re: Powershot S3 IS vs. Rebel XT slr- need advice

Hi, Buttrfly... welcome to the forums. If you truly want "excellent quality" photos, then I think you have to ante up the cash for the dRebel at least... and some good lenses. If merely "very good quality" is OK, and you know the convenience of the S3 will mean you will actually take the camera with you on outings, then go for the S3. Only you can really decide whether the bulk and cumbersome nature of the SLR is worth it for somewhat better quality. Personally, I'd go with the S3, rather than lug something larger over India.

By the way, you've posted in the "G-series" forum, which may or may not get replies from people with experience with either of your choices... but at least you picked a middle ground for your question.

By the way, I love my S2 but wish it had a flash hot shoe or sync connector. If that's important to you, you need to consider that negative point of the S3. And I still get "lens envy" sometimes when I see wildlife photos taken with a DSLR and a long lens... or maybe it's "sensor envy." Still, S-series is a great all-purpose takealong camera.

Last edited by RossW : 30th of March 2006 (Thu) at 20:04.
RossW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #3
buttrfly

Thanks so much Ross. What you have described is exactly what I am struggling with. Guess I'm wanting someone to say one is way better than the other, but both are really good with different benefits.
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, was looking for a general camera questions thread. Maybe I'll post it a couple places.
Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #4
lostdoggy
King Duffus

Buttrfly, you are comparing 2 distinctly different cameras. S3 is a very capable camera (this is to make sure the P&S fans don't attack me) indeed but it is limited to just that. Where as XT allows you room to grow and add better lenses and BTW that is one off the most important part of the camera. The other factor here is the size of the sensor. The S3 has a sensor about the size of your pinky nail and the XT is almost the size of a 35mm film frame. This translate to lower noise particularly in low light situation. If you ever took pictures w/ a P&S digital camera w/ flash you'll notice more offen then not a reddish halo effect along the subject and largish grains as well. These are the biggest drawback in the P&S cameras. Of cause I know you have you heart set on the S3 and by all mean you should follow you heart, but if you feel that you will be getting more into photography then XT would be a very good base to start from.
lostdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #5
lostdoggy
King Duffus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttrfly
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, was looking for a general camera questions thread. Maybe I'll post it a couple places.
DEon't worry if the MOd think you would be better serve in another section they will move the thread.
lostdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #6
Rubberhead

I have a 350D that I just recently got and a Sony DSC-H1 (which is comparable to the Canon S2 IS) that I have had for a while. The Sony H1 has reviews that are as good or maybe even a little better than the Canon S2 IS.

The long and short is that the non-SLR point-and-shoots are small-sensor cameras that have the problems of small sensor cameras. The good news is that they are very versatile at the macro and telephoto ends. And, they take very good videos. Most will take AA batteries or their rechargeable equivalents which can really be a plus when on vacation.

If I were going on vacation where space was a premium, Id carry the H1 and a handful of memory cards or a mass storage device and Id be pretty happy.

If I were trying to get published in a magazine or make the readers of photography-on-the.net go "wooooooo", I'd get something better than the XT.

Just my opinion.
Old 30th of March 2006 (Thu)   #7
raymie_v

Cosider really if you are going to take night shots. I believe you can carry the extra weight of the XT but there is really nothing much you can do with the flash of the S3.
raymie_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of March 2006 (Fri)   #8
Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor

For good night shots ... just use a solid tripod on both cameras.

Also take a look at this older thread asking a very similar question.
Although the camera in question is the G6 and not the S3IS, the arguments pro/con P&S / DSLRs are very much covered and discussed.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of March 2006 (Fri)   #9
dbump

Another option, which many folks here have taken, is to purchase two types of cameras, one compact and discreet, and one DSLR. Some start with only one of those two, and plan to add the other in the future, but accept the limitations of the one they get for the meanwhile.
dbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of April 2006 (Sat)   #10
buttrfly

Thanks everyone! All your feedback really helps. I'm leaning towards the XT as it leaves me with room to grow, and the speed thing is very important to me... like things to be fast!!
Old 13th of April 2006 (Thu)   #11
Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor

Just some statistics ...

this question asked on the G-series board ... 9 answers
this question asked on the EOS board ... 45 answers

last thread on page in G-series board ... 1 week ago
last thread on page in EOS board ... 4 hours ago

Looks very much to me like the popularity of the EOS cameras is overshadowing that of the smaller compact digital cameras.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2006 (Thu)   #12
Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andythaler
Just some statistics ...

this question asked on the G-series board ... 9 answers
this question asked on the EOS board ... 45 answers

last thread on page in G-series board ... 1 week ago
last thread on page in EOS board ... 4 hours ago

Looks very much to me like the popularity of the EOS cameras is overshadowing that of the smaller compact digital cameras.
Especially now the G-breed is gone. Meaning not much newbies (am still a newbie though ) who should be having their G7 if Canon released one. DSLR is now getting bargain and more compact. But I still agree, compact and DSLR is still a perfect combo.
Old 13th of April 2006 (Thu)   #13
Sophia

Just like to add... the more you see people ask fresh questions and more answers, it's somewhat easier to justify and even just for an ounce, it makes life a little bit better.
Old 13th of April 2006 (Thu)   #14
dbump

Andy,
Only if there's a direct correlation between posts on this newsgroup and poularity among all camera owners.
Have you ever read Freakonomics?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...Fencoding=UTF8
Wonderful collection of essays. I'm sure he'd have an interesting story to tell if he had sufficient numbers to play with on our boards and camera owners in general.

I do suspect you're right about the popularity, but a number of other possibilies are quite plausible:

EOS owners may post more than G owners
(more expensive camera/system; more expendable income; more likely to have internet/broadband; more likely to post)
(more wordy )
(more questions from EOS owners than G owners, due to lens sytsem complexity, owners' background in digital, etc.)
etc.

The number of posts on a folder may not accurately represent the camera model owned by posters
(Maybe lots of non-EOS owners posting to the EOS groups)
etc.

Insert your own theory here

I want more data
dbump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2006 (Thu)   #15
Sophia

In the end, he got the Rebel XT. Not sure if he based his decision from the replies etc. Oh well, as long as we are happy on our cameras (or we should be happy on what we purchased), I think that's what matters. There is always better out there whether we like it or not. Best today, just ok tomorrow. "Best" I think is a psychological. Yes, best on reviews or best on the market, but do we really need the "best" one? Why do I need a big house if every room is never used?" Why I need a fast car if going to my office only needs 6o mph? Why 60GB MP3 and I only got 1000 songs etc