Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of August 2003 (Sun)   #1
rkamlesh

Default 4x6 Costco Prints are cropped!

Hi,

I got 4x6 prints from Costco and the quality is good but all the pictures were cropped on width side. I understand that I'll have to crop the picture before I give for prints, but if I do that I loose some part of the frame and I might not be able to do this for all the pics.

What is the solution for this and which software can do it best?

I have Photoshop 5.0, LE that came with G3. All my pictures are Highest Resolution and Fine Compression.

While clicking the pics do I have to keep in mind to leave some extra space in the frame so that even it gets cropped the print will be okay.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Kams.
rkamlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of August 2003 (Sun)   #2
PacAce

Default Re: 4x6 Costco Prints are cropped!

Quote:
rkamlesh wrote:
Hi,

I got 4x6 prints from Costco and the quality is good but all the pictures were cropped on width side. I understand that I'll have to crop the picture before I give for prints, but if I do that I loose some part of the frame and I might not be able to do this for all the pics.

What is the solution for this and which software can do it best?

I have Photoshop 5.0, LE that came with G3. All my pictures are Highest Resolution and Fine Compression.

While clicking the pics do I have to keep in mind to leave some extra space in the frame so that even it gets cropped the print will be okay.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Kams.
I'm afraid that the G3 uses the old video standard aspect ratio of 4:3 so you're always going to lose some parts of your picture if you print in any other formats such as 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 8x12, etc. The only print you'll be able to make without any unwanted cropping is a 3x4 or a 6x8 (or any others with a 4:3 ratio).

If you don't want the printers to arbitrarily crop your pictures to fit the format, you should edit the picture yourself and crop it to the correct aspect ratio for the print format you want before taking it to the printers.
Old 30th of September 2003 (Tue)   #3
Calboy

I had the same thing happen to me and almost all of the heads were cut off of my pictures. I am glad you posted this

Cal
Calboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of September 2003 (Tue)   #4
freakboy

how do you crop them to the correct aspect ratio? Is this just done by croping the image or do you have to change anything else?

freakboy
freakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of September 2003 (Tue)   #5
msvadi
Goldmember

Default Re: Re: 4x6 Costco Prints are cropped!

Quote:
freakboy wrote:
how do you crop them to the correct aspect ratio? Is this just done by croping the image or do you have to change anything else?

freakboy
There are many ways to do that. I use the crop tool in Photoshop with preset values 2272 x 1515 or 1515 x 2272 pixels. This way it's easy to choose what parts of the image should be cropped.
msvadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of September 2003 (Tue)   #6
vatey

to avoid this crop
use your edit photo software
first make a new format by select 8 inch X 12 inch
and DPI 213 per inch ,second open your photo and move it to install on a new format ,with this format (8x12 DPI 213 ) it can fix exactly with photo 2272 X1704 pixel
and save it for print at any Lab who print at 4x6 ratio

VATEY
vatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of September 2003 (Tue)   #7
civis

Quote:
freakboy wrote:
JPEGCrops works pretty well (and it's free). Just do a search for:

JPEGCrops
civis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of September 2003 (Tue)   #8
msvadi
Goldmember

Quote:
vatey wrote:
to avoid this crop
use your edit photo software
first make a new format by select 8 inch X 12 inch
and DPI 213 per inch ,second open your photo and move it to install on a new format ,with this format (8x12 DPI 213 ) it can fix exactly with photo 2272 X1704 pixel
and save it for print at any Lab who print at 4x6 ratio

VATEY
I'm not sure what you mean, because 2272 x 1704 image cannot fit EXACTLY into 3:2 ratio "frame". But yes, there is an alternative to cropping: increase the image width to 2556 pixels, for example, by adding white borders on the left and on the right of the original picture.
msvadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of September 2003 (Tue)   #9
Man-Fai Wong

Go w/ Civis' suggestion of JPEGCrops here:

http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

It's a fast, easy way to crop lots of JPEGs w/out losing quality due to recompression, if you don't need to do any touch up. If you use Photoshop (or most other standard image editors), they will probably recompress your JPEGs and lose some quality.

Another alternative, but less elegant, freeware cropper is JPEGCrop. You can find it here:

http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/ (for original version)

http://www.enotes.de/twiki/bin/view.pl/Notes/JpegTools (for easier 4x6 cropping)

_Man_
Man-Fai Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2003 (Tue)   #10
WallyBeavis

FYI:
I've noticed that sam's club does this too. For quickie/gotta have it now, prints I rotate my images 90 deg (laying them on their side), and the prints usually come out decent enough. Of course this only works for a few images, unless you want stand there are their kiosk for a few hours

cheers,
Wally
WallyBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2003 (Tue)   #11
Man-Fai Wong

Default Re: Re: Re: 4x6 Costco Prints are cropped!

Quote:
msvadi wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean, because 2272 x 1704 image cannot fit EXACTLY into 3:2 ratio "frame". But yes, there is an alternative to cropping: increase the image width to 2556 pixels, for example, by adding white borders on the left and on the right of the original picture.
Just reread and noticed this suggestion. It's a good way to go if you really don't want to crop, and you could also choose something other than white to suit the image (or eventual frame). For borderless prints, I'd go for something dark, eg. black or the dominant color around the outer parts of the image or that faded into black, but that would require a bit more work though.

Personally, I do often try to shoot for the wider 4x6 ratio because I often prefer the wider scope for my style (and would crop for wider compositions). To see what I mean, check out the new gallery I recently set up on PBase (finally!): http://www.pbase.com/mandnwong. Many images were shot for wider composition although a couple were not, but still ended up cropped that way.

_Man_
Man-Fai Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of October 2003 (Sun)   #12
Elliott

I have used a couple of web photo services to make some 4 X 6 prints of some of my digital photos taken with my G3. I noticed that Wal Mart cropped my photos slightly from top to bottom. Yes, I tried Wal~Mart's online digital photo processing against my better judgement, knowing how I have often disliked their quality of photo processing in the past. The photo print quality was "OK", but I didn't expect the crop, and don't remember seeing an option to adjust for it on their upload page. Now, I also uploaded a handful of digital photos to be processed into 4 X 6 prints by Shutterfly, and their upload screen has the option to adjust the crop of each photo that I uploaded. At least with Shutterfly I could be sure that what I wanted in the print was actually going to be in the print. No cutting off the tops of someone's head or that sort of thing. I don't know how many online photo processing sites offer the ability to make this kind of adjustment when you send them work, but I think it's a good thing if they do.
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2003 (Tue)   #13
yallcome

Default Re: 4x6 prints vs 4xD prints

Here's a place that offers 4xD prints with paper cut to match the digital dimensions:

http://www.clubphoto.com/popups/what_is_4xd.php
yallcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2003 (Tue)   #14
walkien

Open PS7

1. Select "Crop" tool
2. In the "crop" tool option bar, enter the size (width and height) you like 6X4,4X5, 5x7.....etc
3. open a picture you like to crop.
4. Click within your photo with the crop tool and drag out a cropping border.

Hope this will help.

ps. You can also preset different sizes in the crop tool, so you don't have to change it all the time.
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, 2 Alien Bees b800, 60" umbrella, large octogon softboxes
LightSphere II, Omnibounce. Tronix Explorer 1200, pocket wizard
walkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2003 (Tue)   #15
Default9

In photoshop, my way: select
>rectangular marquee tool.
>style: fixed aspect ratio. 2:3
>select the area you want to crop.
>image>crop

greetz.
Default9 is offline   Reply With Quote