Thread started 17 Aug 2003 (Sunday) 02:05   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

rkamlesh
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2003
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,

I got 4x6 prints from Costco and the quality is good but all the pictures were cropped on width side. I understand that I'll have to crop the picture before I give for prints, but if I do that I loose some part of the frame and I might not be able to do this for all the pics.

What is the solution for this and which software can do it best?

I have Photoshop 5.0, LE that came with G3. All my pictures are Highest Resolution and Fine Compression.

While clicking the pics do I have to keep in mind to leave some extra space in the frame so that even it gets cropped the print will be okay.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Kams.

Post #1, Aug 17, 2003 02:05:27

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

rkamlesh wrote:
Hi,

I got 4x6 prints from Costco and the quality is good but all the pictures were cropped on width side. I understand that I'll have to crop the picture before I give for prints, but if I do that I loose some part of the frame and I might not be able to do this for all the pics.

What is the solution for this and which software can do it best?

I have Photoshop 5.0, LE that came with G3. All my pictures are Highest Resolution and Fine Compression.

While clicking the pics do I have to keep in mind to leave some extra space in the frame so that even it gets cropped the print will be okay.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Kams.

I'm afraid that the G3 uses the old video standard aspect ratio of 4:3 so you're always going to lose some parts of your picture if you print in any other formats such as 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 8x12, etc. The only print you'll be able to make without any unwanted cropping is a 3x4 or a 6x8 (or any others with a 4:3 ratio).

If you don't want the printers to arbitrarily crop your pictures to fit the format, you should edit the picture yourself and crop it to the correct aspect ratio for the print format you want before taking it to the printers.

Post #2, Aug 17, 2003 08:54:32

...Leo

Calboy
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2003
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I had the same thing happen to me and almost all of the heads were cut off of my pictures. I am glad you posted this

Cal

Post #3, Sep 30, 2003 11:35:45

freakboy
Joined Aug 2002
22 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

how do you crop them to the correct aspect ratio? Is this just done by croping the image or do you have to change anything else?

freakboy

Post #4, Sep 30, 2003 13:30:04

msvadi
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
1,974 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

freakboy wrote:
how do you crop them to the correct aspect ratio? Is this just done by croping the image or do you have to change anything else?

freakboy

There are many ways to do that. I use the crop tool in Photoshop with preset values 2272 x 1515 or 1515 x 2272 pixels. This way it's easy to choose what parts of the image should be cropped.

Post #5, Sep 30, 2003 14:43:41

sponsored links
vatey
Joined Sep 2003
38 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

to avoid this crop
use your edit photo software
first make a new format by select 8 inch X 12 inch
and DPI 213 per inch ,second open your photo and move it to install on a new format ,with this format (8x12 DPI 213 ) it can fix exactly with photo 2272 X1704 pixel
and save it for print at any Lab who print at 4x6 ratio

VATEY

Post #6, Sep 30, 2003 17:29:05

civis
Joined Sep 2003
235 posts
Midwest USA
[MORE/SHARE]

freakboy wrote:

JPEGCrops works pretty well (and it's free). Just do a search for:

JPEGCrops

Post #7, Sep 30, 2003 17:29:29

msvadi
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
1,974 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

vatey wrote:
to avoid this crop
use your edit photo software
first make a new format by select 8 inch X 12 inch
and DPI 213 per inch ,second open your photo and move it to install on a new format ,with this format (8x12 DPI 213 ) it can fix exactly with photo 2272 X1704 pixel
and save it for print at any Lab who print at 4x6 ratio

VATEY

I'm not sure what you mean, because 2272 x 1704 image cannot fit EXACTLY into 3:2 ratio "frame". But yes, there is an alternative to cropping: increase the image width to 2556 pixels, for example, by adding white borders on the left and on the right of the original picture.

Post #8, Sep 30, 2003 18:45:09

Man-Fai ­ Wong
Joined Sep 2003
215 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Go w/ Civis' suggestion of JPEGCrops here:

http://ekot.dk/program​mer/JPEGCrops/external link

It's a fast, easy way to crop lots of JPEGs w/out losing quality due to recompression, if you don't need to do any touch up. If you use Photoshop (or most other standard image editors), they will probably recompress your JPEGs and lose some quality.

Another alternative, but less elegant, freeware cropper is JPEGCrop. You can find it here:

http://sylvana.net/jpe​gcrop/external link (for original version)

http://www.enotes.de ...n/view.pl/Notes/Jpe​gToolsexternal link (for easier 4x6 cropping)

_Man_

Post #9, Sep 30, 2003 19:38:12

WallyBeavis
Joined Mar 2003
20 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

FYI:
I've noticed that sam's club does this too. For quickie/gotta have it now, prints I rotate my images 90 deg (laying them on their side), and the prints usually come out decent enough. Of course this only works for a few images, unless you want stand there are their kiosk for a few hours :-)

cheers,
Wally

Post #10, Oct 21, 2003 15:32:14

Man-Fai ­ Wong
Joined Sep 2003
215 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

msvadi wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean, because 2272 x 1704 image cannot fit EXACTLY into 3:2 ratio "frame". But yes, there is an alternative to cropping: increase the image width to 2556 pixels, for example, by adding white borders on the left and on the right of the original picture.

Just reread and noticed this suggestion. It's a good way to go if you really don't want to crop, and you could also choose something other than white to suit the image (or eventual frame). For borderless prints, I'd go for something dark, eg. black or the dominant color around the outer parts of the image or that faded into black, but that would require a bit more work though.

Personally, I do often try to shoot for the wider 4x6 ratio because I often prefer the wider scope for my style (and would crop for wider compositions). To see what I mean, check out the new gallery I recently set up on PBase (finally!): http://www.pbase.com/m​andnwongexternal link. Many images were shot for wider composition although a couple were not, but still ended up cropped that way.

_Man_

Post #11, Oct 21, 2003 20:45:33

sponsored links
Elliott
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2003
6 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have used a couple of web photo services to make some 4 X 6 prints of some of my digital photos taken with my G3. I noticed that Wal Mart cropped my photos slightly from top to bottom. Yes, I tried Wal~Mart's online digital photo processing against my better judgement, knowing how I have often disliked their quality of photo processing in the past. The photo print quality was "OK", but I didn't expect the crop, and don't remember seeing an option to adjust for it on their upload page. Now, I also uploaded a handful of digital photos to be processed into 4 X 6 prints by Shutterfly, and their upload screen has the option to adjust the crop of each photo that I uploaded. At least with Shutterfly I could be sure that what I wanted in the print was actually going to be in the print. No cutting off the tops of someone's head or that sort of thing. I don't know how many online photo processing sites offer the ability to make this kind of adjustment when you send them work, but I think it's a good thing if they do.

Post #12, Oct 26, 2003 06:09:05

yallcome
Joined Jun 2003
205 posts
Suffolk, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a place that offers 4xD prints with paper cut to match the digital dimensions:

http://www.clubphoto.c​om/popups/what_is_4xd.​phpexternal link

Post #13, Oct 28, 2003 00:00:04

walkien
Joined Sep 2003
755 posts
West Covina, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Open PS7

1. Select "Crop" tool
2. In the "crop" tool option bar, enter the size (width and height) you like 6X4,4X5, 5x7.....etc
3. open a picture you like to crop.
4. Click within your photo with the crop tool and drag out a cropping border.

Hope this will help.

ps. You can also preset different sizes in the crop tool, so you don't have to change it all the time.

Post #14, Oct 28, 2003 15:54:35

Canon 1D Mark II N, Canon 5D Mark II with grip, Canon 10D with grip, broken Canon G2
28-135 mm IS, 50 mm F1.8 II, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4 L, 85 f1.8
420 EX/580 EX/580EXII, Bogen 3321 tripod
Sekonic L-358 Flash Meter, 2 Alien Bees b800, 60" umbrella, large octogon softboxes
LightSphere II, Omnibounce. Tronix Explorer 1200, pocket wizard

Default9
Joined Jul 2003
53 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

In photoshop, my way: select
>rectangular marquee tool.
>style: fixed aspect ratio. 2:3
>select the area you want to crop.
>image>crop

greetz.

Post #15, Oct 28, 2003 16:46:24