Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #1
blacksmurf

Default Results of POTN G-series Speed Challenge #60 - "Perspective"

Congratulations to all.

Photos: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=152403

Sorry, I really couldn't choose *only* three shots.

#1 - Boutty - "Walkway"

#2 (tie)
Marie - "salute to a duck" and AndreyD - "Divine Mosaic"

#3 (tie)
Am_pitbull_terrier - "Forgotten Factory" and Teekay - "Bridge to Nowhere"

* Thanks very much to all of you *

Oh, so many entries... I really appreciated that, and I can't complain about that: so hard to choose, but as De Coubertin said "the most important thing is participate"...
not only in the olympic games, I think, but in the whole life.

I am not an expert and I can judge most by my instinct... I will try.
Please forgive me for my approximated knowledge of English.

-

andrewaaa5 - Air Conditioning Necessary - Brasilia, DISTRITO FEDERAL
I liked very much the color and the pattern. Maybe an unusual image for Brasil, if we don't remember that Brasilia is a big city and it's been largely designed by famous architects.

richardbruce - GO Train
I was expecting many nightshots, but this is the only one. I appreciated the depth, the spectacular panorama of lights and the moment choosen. I suppose the shot was made from a bridge; unfortunately another one (or kind of) is in the middle of the scene... but it was maybe impossible to find a perfect point for shooting.

Sophia - In-N-Out
Big depth, and a curious view from inside. The little distortions of the right building and window frame accentuates the effect, in my opinion.

dewmuw - She nose you know!
Great effect and an impressive point of view... unfortunately this day the light didn't helped a lot. I was asking my self which was the aircraft subject, and in which occasion the shot has been taken.

mistergibbon - Polythene fields forever
Clean shot and the evidence of the perspective that we can often see in some field trip. Great depth, here too, and I like the natural faded horizon. Nice wordplay, maybe under the polythene there are some strawberry rising?

mp2k-net - Stay behind the line, please...
This shot caught my attention for much time... really crystalline and magnetic. Great contrast between the background and the subject, that seems to follow a personal way, not taking care of the real perspective.

[1] * Boutty - Walkway
I really admired the simplicity of this shot, mixing the main concept of perspective, a great depth, the instant caught (have you waited for a person to come?), suffused lights. The narrow, vertical crops gives even more to the shot. Poetry.

[2] * AndreyD - Divine Mosaic
Sincerely fascinated by this shot. From the beginning (and still now) I see that chandelier (I suppose) as a flower, in a perfectly turned upside-down perspective. The subject itself is awesome. If this is an arched roof of a church in Moscow, this increases my regrets about never been there.

Gnasher - Tower Bridge
A great view, fine detail and colors that I've appreciated so much. I suppose that it wasn't easy to frame/enclose it in a shot.

[3] * am_pitbull_terrier - Forgotten Factory
Time perspective, the ageing concept, expressed also with color and deformation. The front enclosure seems to protect in vain the aged building. Great picture.

superkully - Flowers
Intriguing idea and composition. The flowers shadow seems to acquire some life, while the surfaces play a confusing (but pleasant) game under that light.

[2] * marie - salute to a duck
Genial. The pavement who plays against the real perspective, in a static design, while the shots freeze an original (maybe unattended) moment.

RAW - Child's View
Such a beautiful choice, looking from a child point of view, seeing the same little columns in foreground and the others far away; and the vertical depth, all giving a concept of feeling small in front of the world.

rpolitsr - Lunch in Perspective
So many choices, being maybe in a spot to decide where to go for the lunch, hoping to make whatever a good choice, if not the best one. Nice colors.

ma-s - Perspective can fool U
ma-s, please explain how you've composed your picture. Yes, you fooled me, but I'm sure not the only one! I nearly lost my eyes.

[3] * teekay - Bridge to Nowhere
The bridge that haunted me. I liked it very very much. I'd like to know, of course, about the original shot and the PP.

Terrywoodenpic - Dovestone
I saw that Terry posted another shot before, that I liked too. This one has a quiet and peaceful view, with soft colors and a clear line drawn by the wall in the foreground. Very relaxing.

BobbyT - American Chopper
Fun shot with the tricycle seeming even more aggressive than the cars on both sides.

Maureen Souza - Spring Blooms Through the Knot Hole
Something new and fresh who grows, viewed through something old. Another mixing of perspective, very beautiful shot. A touch of art.

alans220 - Tunnel Vision
The tunnel perspective, the neverending view... great how details melt away on the perspective point. This shot reminds me "2001: A space odissey" even if colors are not the same - if I remember well. I was obviously asking myself which was the shooting place.

ezza - A view from Silvia's eye
Very good idea, placing the main subject into the light reflection. Is it a rear light? I can't guess what vehicle is that!

back to black - Alone Again
Impressive shot, with a great sky and that "abandoned" feeling. Did I see some snow near the car? Didn't guess the season, in this case!

jesshen - Perspective of the Past-- Castle Fraser
Nice shot, maybe a too strange angle. I'm still wondering *where* these stairs are leading to!

BottomBracket - Worm's View in DC
Low, lower, lowest point? Great view, really looks like an insect view, if not a worm one. The obelisk add a "giant" sense and you feel so small, from this point of view. The power of flip&twist display.

lefturn99 - Boo Ha Ha parade
I like to see perspective "covered by" a people parade. Here a little bit more detail would maybe be needed, but the idea is clear. Could we have some info about the parade? Something about Carnival?
blacksmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #2
jesshen

Default Re: Results of POTN G-series Speed Challenge #60 - "Perspective"

Blacksmurf, I wondered how on earth you would be able to choose out of so many... so no wonder you chose ties for second and third. Thank you for judging. Boutty's was my favorite but there were others... a fun variety.

By the way, the "stairs" in my picture are not stairs at all, but the style of decoration of the roof in that section of the castle. It just looks like stairs but it isn't!

Jessica
jesshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #3
blacksmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesshen
By the way, the "stairs" in my picture are not stairs at all, but the style of decoration of the roof in that section of the castle. It just looks like stairs but it isn't!
sorry!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #4
MAS

Smile Re: Results of POTN G-series Speed Challenge #60 - "Perspective"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmurf
ma-s - Perspective can fool U
ma-s, please explain how you've composed your picture. Yes, you fooled me, but I'm sure not the only one! I nearly lost my eyes.
Salute to the winners!

Shall I reveal it, as not been on the podium...? OKAY, here it goes: they were NOT cubes! Got You All!

Markku
Attached Images
File Type: jpg perspective_can_fool_u.jpg (98.1 KB, 164 views)
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #5
blacksmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-s
Salute to the winners!

Shall I reveal it, as not been on the podium...? OKAY, here it goes: they were NOT cubes! Got You All!

Markku

gosh... I have no words...

Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #6
Sophia

Congrats to the winners! Thanks blacksmurf for a wonderful job! You gave each picture a feedback and comment/s and I know it's time consuming. Thanks for sharing your time. I enjoyed watching all the entries!
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #7
BobbyT

Congrats to the winners. A lot of great photos, blacksmurf had a hard job.
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #8
Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-s
Salute to the winners!

Markku
Wow! That's a good optical illusion. I thought it's painting. Nice!
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #9
am_pitbull_terrier

Congrats everyone.... Great job BlackSmurf That had to be a hard contest to judge. Awesome photo Ma-s I thought that was computer generated cubes.
Diffusion Filter 58mm
SkyLight Filter 58 mm
SuperWide Lens

Rebel XT (black), 18-55mm, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-300mm /Lens Hood, 50mm 1.8
Opteka Grip
Radio Slave Trigger
Stroboframe Flash Bracket
580EX Flash & Canon Off Shoe Cord 2
Lumiquest On-Camera Softbox
And of course a POTN camera strap
am_pitbull_terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #10
ezza

thanks for the comment BlackSmurf, the car is a nissan silvia S15, it is the front head lights . congrats to the winners, your pics are awesome!
ezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #11
teekay

Great subject with lots of interpretations and fine entries, so I'm very pleased to tie for third, particularly since one I shot with my A95 got third place also in this weeks "Small compact digitals" POTN challenge for the subject "Motion"! Thanks for the "double" - a record?

The bridge photo was taken on a rainy day while travelling by train on the historic "White Pass & Yukon" railroad out of Skagway, Alaska. On the way up the mountain I spotted this abandoned bridge disappearing into the clouds and there was actually a guy standing on it in the middle of nowhere like a ghost from the past. Looked totally spooky, and although I was too late for a photo then, I decided to try for one on the way down.

So on the return trip I hung out on the shaking platform between cars, shivering with cold, holding on to a wet handrail with one hand and with the other over the lens to keep it dry, waiting for the bridge to appear again in the clouds. I had pre-set the focus, aperture and exposure as I knew I would only get one quick shot, and that's just what happened. I definitely earned that one.

The resulting photo (below with no p.p.) is one of my favourites, but I was playing around with effects in PSP and liked the "buttonize" effect for this particular challenge.

teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #12
rpolitsr

Congratulations Boutty for the first place, marie and AndreyD for your tie in second place and am_pitbull_terrier and teekay for sharing the third place.

As hard as winning with so many beautiful entries is to judge and comment 25 photos submitted. Congratulations, blacksmurf

Being close to 3D graphics ma-s image was a source of many questions, the unveiled secret was a surprise and I am now wondering the exact camera placing for the shot.
Interesting subject.

I enjoyed the integration of perspective lines with the background in the pictures of Terrywoodenpic and teekay. I like the yellow and gray colors of teekay’s PP, but the original image is beautiful.

Airplanes are another subject I love, and dewmuw’s picture (Concorde?) is also beautiful for me.

RAW, you found a real wonderful point of view and I love the perspective and colors of your picture.

Very nice photos posted by everyone, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by rpolitsr : 3rd of April 2006 (Mon) at 18:27.
rpolitsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #13
RAW

Blacksmurf, thank you for your time spent to comment every entry and thanks for your great judging.

Congratulations to the winners and thank you all for participating, it really makes it more interesting and harder for the judge.

Rpolistr, thanks for your comment, I really liked how everyone interpreted this theme in the challenge.

Regards,

Eos 2oD I EF50mm f/1.4 I 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS I 24-70L I 580ex.
PS G6 I 420ex I LA 52/58mm I Hoya HMC polarizer
Kenko KNT-20 2x I Raynox DCR 6600PRO .66x.
I'm lovin' it...
RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2006 (Mon)   #14
marie
Cream of the Crop

Congratulations to all the winners
and to all who entered

especially to

# 1
Boutty

and Andrey

# 3 Pitbull and Teekay

Thank you very much for the # 2 place and for all the wonderful comments for everyone Blacksmurf

you had a really difficult job
I enjoyed all of the pictures very much

regards 'salute to a duck'

the photo was taken last Thursday in a local town
I was down low trying to get the best angle to show the wonderful design of the pavement bricks
and trying to keep the old precious buildings in the distance ' in the picture' also

then I saw the duck waddling out of the river , which was beautiful

then the child , squealing with delight... just ran into the picture very suddenly from behind me

I loved seeing him included
I probably would have used another picture (which I was going to send in) if he had not ran into the shot when he did.
he really made it for me
thank you very much for your thoughts
it is much appreciated

Congratulations again to Boutty and to everyone

Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Last edited by marie : 4th of April 2006 (Tue) at 04:47.
marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of April 2006 (Tue)   #15
AndreyD

Thank you for the comments blacksmurf! Yes, lots of very good shots! I enjoyed that Speed Challenge!
About "Divine Mosaic" - this inside anterior of famous Church in St.Petersurg, called Church of the Resurrection (that Church build on the place where Tzar Alexader the Second was killed). It's interesting that 100% of inside interior if that church occupied with pictures of saints and this is not paintings, this is only mosaic with precious stones!

That shot was done with Canon wide converter, ISO 200, RAW
AndreyD is offline   Reply With Quote