Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 03 Apr 2006 (Monday) 23:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Be nice to your fellow bird photographer's POSTS

LazyPhotographer
Goldmember
3,163 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Apr 03, 2006 23:05 |  #1

We finally got our Bird Forum!! Let's have a HUGE round of applause for Pekka and the Mods for taking care of us.

Now all WE have to do is take care of each other. Already the forum is jumping, there's lot of new posts but we still have people getting bumped to pages 3-4 without any comments. C'mon people, let's make this new forum a new beginning and a new chance to help each other.

Please take the time to comment on some posts BEFORE you post your new pics of the day. Bump the zero comment posts up to the top again and offer a comment, suggestion, or a bit of encouragement. Put yourself in the other person's shoes and remember how your first pics looked or the anticipation you felt with your first posts... it's important that we acknowledge and encourage each other, otherwise, there's no reason for anyone to post.

If everyone gets in the habit of doing this, soon there won't be any page 3-4 zero comment posts!! A few kind words, sharing the experience, and helpful suggestions can go a really long way. Show me the love, people... show me the love! :D

Mods: Can this be a sticky for a while pls?

LazyPhotographer: One who uses a telephoto lens to shoot pictures out the car window or from a balcony. :arrow: No Bird Posts Left Behind, dammit! :twisted:

sponsored links
RonnF
Joined Apr 2005
Los Altos, Ca, USA
Apr 04, 2006 00:26 |  #2

It was a terrific move to create a Bird Forum and I hope Pekka and the others responsible know how much it's appreciated.

And, MJ, I very much agree with your suggestion about eliminating the 0 comment posts. This is such a great place to learn about wildlife photography, and a lot can be learned from viewing postings and comments from others. But, as you said, when someone gets the courage to ask for comments and posts their own shots, it's discouraging to not rate a comment while they see their shot move to page 3. We should almost always be able to find something positive about a post and help soften the more critical comments. And when we have critical comments, we should also suggest how to fix or avoid the problem in future shots.

Ron

Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 100-400mm 4.5/5.6 L IS II, Canon 400mm F5.6L, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, Set of Kenko Extension Tubes, Canon 580EX
Galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/r​fredrick (external link)

forsakenme720
910 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Apr 04, 2006 01:13 as a reply to RonnF's post |  #3

I'm a noob and I have to say this is definitely a good idea. I know that if I posted my first pic and no one responded I would feel like crap, so I'm glad that comments are being encouraged:)

Cameras: Canon 20D, Canon Rebel XT (converted to infrared)
Lenses: Canon 17-40mm f4L; Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5; Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro; Canon 85mm f1.8

calicokat
Cream of the Crop
14,720 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Southern California
Apr 04, 2006 03:04 |  #4

LazyPhotographer wrote:
We finally got our Bird Forum!! Let's have a HUGE round of applause for Pekka and the Mods for taking care of us.

Now all WE have to do is take care of each other. Already the forum is jumping, there's lot of new posts but we still have people getting bumped to pages 3-4 without any comments. C'mon people, let's make this new forum a new beginning and a new chance to help each other.

Please take the time to comment on some posts BEFORE you post your new pics of the day. Bump the zero comment posts up to the top again and offer a comment, suggestion, or a bit of encouragement. Put yourself in the other person's shoes and remember how your first pics looked or the anticipation you felt with your first posts... it's important that we acknowledge and encourage each other, otherwise, there's no reason for anyone to post.

If everyone gets in the habit of doing this, soon there won't be any page 3-4 zero comment posts!! A few kind words, sharing the experience, and helpful suggestions can go a really long way. Show me the love, people... show me the love! :D

Mods: Can this be a sticky for a while pls?

That is a great suggestion, I will do my part

"You are going to fall off a cliff trying to get a better shot someday"- My hopeful and loving wife :eek: :twisted:
My Websiteexternal link

My Gear

Calicokat 1990-2007 RIP My Loving Kitty

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,642 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Apr 04, 2006 03:09 |  #5

Sounds fine with me, LP. I'll pass it along to the Senior Mods.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Colin ­ Morey
621 posts
Joined Nov 2005
UK
Apr 04, 2006 05:56 |  #6

may i request that sometimes comments of the negative, but constructive variety may be just as helpful?

ie, try to have the bird looking into space if possible,

so
|frame end| bird looking right, space to the right |frame end,

(if that makes sense?

1DmkIV, 350D dual zoom kit, EF-S 60mm macro(sold), 50mm 1.8(sold), 100-400mmL IS, 70-200mm f2.8 IS L IS, 10-22mm(sold), 3x580EXII, 24-70mm f2.8L

Comments and Critisms welcome, edits allowed if you tell me how you did it :) No Bird Posts Left Behind! My photo-a-day habit.external linkZenfolio: VPZ-MH5-2PZ

Blackburnian
Goldmember
1,444 posts
Joined May 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Apr 04, 2006 06:45 as a reply to Colin Morey's post |  #7

I agree but where's your birdie pic:D

Marc Latrémouille

My Portfolioexternal link

Colin ­ Morey
621 posts
Joined Nov 2005
UK
Apr 04, 2006 06:57 |  #8

mine? first one in the new forum is Here

1DmkIV, 350D dual zoom kit, EF-S 60mm macro(sold), 50mm 1.8(sold), 100-400mmL IS, 70-200mm f2.8 IS L IS, 10-22mm(sold), 3x580EXII, 24-70mm f2.8L

Comments and Critisms welcome, edits allowed if you tell me how you did it :) No Bird Posts Left Behind! My photo-a-day habit.external linkZenfolio: VPZ-MH5-2PZ

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
Apr 04, 2006 07:35 |  #9

Definitely a great idea.

I have to stress Ron's post about comments and critique: Don't be afraid to ask for them! We've got a very friendly crew here willing to help, and there's a lot we can all learn from each other.

And for critiquers: be helpful, not harsh. Remember that we were all newbies once. Please don't offer criticism without offering pointers for improvement.

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

dancinec
Cream of the Crop
8,035 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Carlsbad, California
Apr 04, 2006 08:18 |  #10

I too agree with LF, sometimes I will search over the pages and look for zero responses and look for something positive to say and followed by some soft critique. Thanks Lazy Photographer for suggesting this.

Dennis
Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, Canon 100 mm Macro, Canon 100-400mm, Canon 400mm 5.6L, Canon TC 1.4X, Tamron 28-75 mm, Bogen 3221 Tripod, Kirk BH-1 ballhead, Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash, Canon 580 II Flash, Better Beamers, Whimberly Plamp.
My galleriesexternal link

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Austin, TX
Apr 04, 2006 08:40 |  #11

I like this idea. Let's start a policy - "No zero Bird post left behind". :D And no, i'm not a republican. LOL!

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
Apr 04, 2006 10:23 as a reply to cfcRebel's post |  #12

cfcRebel wrote:
I like this idea. Let's start a policy - "No zero Bird post left behind". :D

I'm in with that one!
(Check out the Sig)

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

Cicarius
180 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Apr 04, 2006 22:49 |  #13

I like It.

Great idea.

A comment as someone new. When I post I am often after the critical comments. I want to be told what i have done wrong.

So on the topic of posting. If you see something you would have done differently let me know.

I am loving this forum and this sort of thread is what makes it better then others.

Marty

P.S. check the sig. An idea for life.

If you can't help then hinder, but don't sit idly by doing nothing.

My Gear
Galleryexternal link

l ­ bo
545 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Fenwick Island, De.
Apr 05, 2006 22:28 |  #14

This is great, with my new lens I find myself shooting more birds than anything else right now.

Well done

Canon 30D
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8

Dimitri_V
Cream of the Crop
9,221 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Scotland
Apr 06, 2006 11:41 |  #15
banned

I totaly agree with everything anyone above said,i always do my best to comment to others (see my posts) but sometimes i see things like...a new person who has 2-3 posts,posts quite a few new topics and if he/she gets no replies then they bump it up asking why.
Well,as been said before by scottes,if you want to get into the game,make yourself known first by replying to others and then,after they know you,its guaranteed that you`ll get plenty of replies to your own post.
Especially some people that i have noticed,they don`t reply at all,they only expect comments from others.
Am i talking crazy?

My siteexternal linkhttp://www.earthsbeaut​ytours.comexternal link

sponsored links

61,746 views & 1 like for this thread
Be nice to your fellow bird photographer's POSTS
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.