[[Actually first guess was 16-18 MP - just for the record;)]]

Digic 1V
Dust removal
3 custom modes (register settings)
Highlight Tone Priority
Face recognition
G&N Mode ( Boobs and legs recognition)
waterproofing
A new larger Print button (same size as the shutter button) This button must be used every 2000 actuations to reactivate the camera, otherwise all auto modes are locked out until the print button is used [Hopefully someone will develop a hack for this before it is released!) The camera becomes unlocked afte 5000 actuataions of the print button. As yet we don't know whether it ha s to be connected to a printer to work.

It will also be available in custom colours, current proposals are LIme green, Shocking Pink and transparent. Please petition Canon for an 'Apple iMac' colour!

Availablity: Not until SEPT 2007 [rumours to the contrary i.e. Feb release have been debunked - read the thread;-)a )

5D wishes:

+ Wider AEB options - e.g. 4 stops either side, with 2 or 1 stop gaps, with 3 or 5 exposures with ONE press of shutter (for HDR):cool:

Another quality AF point like the centre one in the TOP (portrait mode) position, so you don't have to re-frame portraits after focussing in very low light

waterproofing - why? because I bet at least half of 5D users are landscapers and in case no one at Canon has noticed in Europe (esp GB) most of the time IT RAINS!

A lock or guard on the on/off switch or repositioning - it keeps getting knocked off or on by rubbing on clothing when walking - so it's not on when you need a quick shot - and it is on when you want it off to save battery - no good relying on auto off as it keeps getting touched on one button or another as I walk with it

a lock on the diopter adjustment - so it doesn't have to be reset every 10 mins after brusing against it inadvertanly whilst holding the camera from swinging in the undergrowth

Mirror lock up with AEB]- i.e press shutter once and get 3 or 5 mirror locked up bracketed exposures (for HDR):cool:

Mirror lock up BUTTON:rolleyes:

another two custom settings on the dial ( there's p[lenty or room and it would be great to have custom settings for portrait, landcape etc without having to rest the lot and reregister everytime you go out to change shooting

---------------

what there won't be is two versions of the 5D (as rumoured)

[what I DON'T want is the 1D series cameras because they are TOO HEAVY]

or eye focussing - yach - ptui!

AND

Never mind all this fast fps malarkey what I want is SLOW fpm;)
- i.e. I want the ability to shoot one frame every 10 secs, 20 secs or 30secs or one a minute - without having to buy an external timing device

LATEST Rumour is .... new 5D WON'T have

Mirror lock up button ( but can be set via registered custom mode)

Post #1, Apr 09, 2006 13:15:57

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
Snaps external linkor Gear or ----external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
hemuni
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,019 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

what about 12 stop dynamic range?

Post #2, Apr 09, 2006 13:18:06

((¯`•.¸hemuni¸.•´¯)) 1000D • 85F1.8 • 50F1.4 • 28F2.8 • 18-55IS • YN565EX - POTN gallery

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Weather Sealed Photographer
Joined Feb 2005
6,352 posts
On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
[MORE/SHARE]

hemuni wrote:
what about 12 stop dynamic range?

Non possibile est!

Why? because you'd need more sensitive pixels and they'd go in the 1D series first
Instead we'll have smaller pixels which will in theory have less dynamic range BUT the 1Ds manages OK so I wouldn't worry

However if there'sa Digit 3 processor to go with it and the rest of the range then you might be talking, as it is the DR is about 8 stops aint it?:)

Post #3, Apr 09, 2006 13:58:03 as a reply to hemuni's post 39 minutes earlier.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?

hemuni
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,019 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well maybe not entirely impossible. You can group 2 or 3 pixels together to record different areas of the specter. This has been done already, but i cant remember by who.

I actually do think that the coming upgrade to the 1Ds will have larger DR - time will tell.

Post #4, Apr 09, 2006 14:36:59

((¯`•.¸hemuni¸.•´¯)) 1000D • 85F1.8 • 50F1.4 • 28F2.8 • 18-55IS • YN565EX - POTN gallery

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,788 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

Fuji has the system with two different types of sensor pickups..
It works well.

Post #5, Apr 09, 2006 14:51:03

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

sponsored links
I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
6,352 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
It works well.

Fingers crossed then , but I still think they'd put it in the 1D series for a year before it got into other models

I do think they have to update the 5D though because I reckon they didnt sell anywhere near as many as they hoped, -the one I got had offers that expired pre-Xmas last year - in fact I have the impression only now that they are offering £200 cashback and the price having dropped so far are they actually moving again after the intorductory flurry.

I think the reason for this is that a lot of lanscape photogs (who need the detail) would love a FF cheaper and lighter than the 1Ds but want the level of IQ that the 1Ds currently has and just won't spend that much until it's there. The 5D sold mostly to portrait and wedding photogs as far as I can ascertain

If they do up it, the sales will do what they had origianlly hoped IMVVHO

Post #6, Apr 09, 2006 16:13:53 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post 1 hour earlier.

hemuni
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,019 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Simon king wrote:
Fingers crossed then , but I still think they'd put it in the 1D series for a year before it got into other models...

I agree that the 1 series will see high DR sensors first. But what would then be an upgrade if not sensor? Semipro like the D200?

The cashback sure seems to have made more people jump the wagon, at least around this forum, myself included. Mine also had the free CF card offer expiring in 2005.

The high introductory price indicates that they didn't expect to sell this by the truckloads, but sales probably hasn't been what they hoped for and I'm sure prices will drop further during 2006.

Post #7, Apr 09, 2006 22:55:33 as a reply to I Simonius's post 6 hours earlier.

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
6,352 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

hemuni wrote:
I agree that the 1 series will see high DR sensors first. But what would then be an upgrade if not sensor? Semipro like the D200?

The cashback sure seems to have made more people jump the wagon, at least around this forum, myself included. Mine also had the free CF card offer expiring in 2005.

The high introductory price indicates that they didn't expect to sell this by the truckloads, but sales probably hasn't been what they hoped fore and I'm sure prices will drop further during 2006.

Yes sensor upgrade but the 5D will always get one technology below the 1D seerries, so put the new stuff (whatever that will be) in the 1D and give the 5D a 17MP sensor - that'd do me for several a year!;)

Post #8, Apr 10, 2006 03:09:05 as a reply to hemuni's post 4 hours earlier.

1sdman
Joined Mar 2006
25 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

Hmmm. I would hope for:

• battery grip with optional wireless built in
  • battery grip with optional GPS built in
  • ultrasonic dust removal on sensor
  • better weather sealing
  • time-lapse built in, with auto-sleep between shots.

Yeap! I like it.

Post #9, Apr 11, 2006 09:05:55

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
6,352 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

1sdman wrote:
Hmmm. I would hope for:

• battery grip with optional wireless built in
  • battery grip with optional GPS built in
  • ultrasonic dust removal on sensor
  • better weather sealing
  • time-lapse built in, with auto-sleep between shots.

Yeap! I like it.

RiGHT- give me the USDust removal and better weathersealing and a 16MP sensor and I'd a a happy bunny!:p

You can forget the rest of that stuff, that's called a 1D!

Post #10, Apr 11, 2006 09:16:11 as a reply to 1sdman's post 10 minutes earlier.

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2004
6,382 posts
Sacramento, CA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I think they'll make a silver version. Everyone would just love that option. :)

Post #11, Apr 14, 2006 10:25:29

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

sponsored links
I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
6,352 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
It works well.

Wasn't that more to extend the DR and colour accuracy, which at the time it was released was crap in most DSLRs, and weren't they using the 'other' chip i.e. not CMOS?

Also surely that limits the amount of MPs you can get on the sensor (presumably to half the optimum for sharpness/resolution?

Post #12, Apr 14, 2006 12:16:15 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post 4 days earlier.

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
6,352 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Citizensmith wrote:
I think they'll make a silver version. Everyone would just love that option. :)

How about aWHITE version?:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

With a built in iPod nano?:p :p :p :p :p
The eardrops could be integral to the camera strap! :-)

Post #13, Apr 14, 2006 12:18:40 as a reply to Citizensmith's post 1 hour earlier.

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
6,352 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

'Someone' in 'a shop' told me they thought the 5D was going to hit £1300 before it's finished (that's more like it!:-))

Post #14, Apr 14, 2006 12:21:19 as a reply to I Simonius's post 2 minutes earlier.

hemuni
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,019 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Simon king wrote:
16MP sensor and I'd a a happy bunny...

Common, really??
Denser pixels will likely take away the 5D advantage of richer and deeper images. Personally i hope for DR improvement :)

Post #15, Apr 14, 2006 12:25:53 as a reply to I Simonius's post 3 days earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
321,400 views & 0 likes for this thread
NEW 5D RUMOUR !!
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES