Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News > Rumors > Camera Rumors and Predictions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of April 2006 (Sun)   #1
I Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer

Location: On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
Default NEW 5D RUMOUR !!

LATEST Rumour is .... new 5D WILL have:

92MP

EIT: now a measly 24MP accordion to the latest rumours

[[Actually first guess was 16-18 MP - just for the record]]

Digic 1V
Dust removal
3 custom modes (register settings)
Highlight Tone Priority
Face recognition
G&N Mode ( Boobs and legs recognition)
waterproofing
A new larger Print button (same size as the shutter button) This button must be used every 2000 actuations to reactivate the camera, otherwise all auto modes are locked out until the print button is used [Hopefully someone will develop a hack for this before it is released!) The camera becomes unlocked afte 5000 actuataions of the print button. As yet we don't know whether it ha s to be connected to a printer to work.

It will also be available in custom colours, current proposals are LIme green, Shocking Pink and transparent. Please petition Canon for an 'Apple iMac' colour!

Availablity: Not until SEPT 2007 [rumours to the contrary i.e. Feb release have been debunked - read the thread )

5D wishes:

+ Wider AEB options - e.g. 4 stops either side, with 2 or 1 stop gaps, with 3 or 5 exposures with ONE press of shutter (for HDR)

Another quality AF point like the centre one in the TOP (portrait mode) position, so you don't have to re-frame portraits after focussing in very low light

waterproofing - why? because I bet at least half of 5D users are landscapers and in case no one at Canon has noticed in Europe (esp GB) most of the time IT RAINS!

A lock or guard on the on/off switch or repositioning - it keeps getting knocked off or on by rubbing on clothing when walking - so it's not on when you need a quick shot - and it is on when you want it off to save battery - no good relying on auto off as it keeps getting touched on one button or another as I walk with it

a lock on the diopter adjustment - so it doesn't have to be reset every 10 mins after brusing against it inadvertanly whilst holding the camera from swinging in the undergrowth

Mirror lock up with AEB]- i.e press shutter once and get 3 or 5 mirror locked up bracketed exposures (for HDR)

Mirror lock up BUTTON

another two custom settings on the dial ( there's p[lenty or room and it would be great to have custom settings for portrait, landcape etc without having to rest the lot and reregister everytime you go out to change shooting

---------------------------

what there won't be is two versions of the 5D (as rumoured)

[what I DON'T want is the 1D series cameras because they are TOO HEAVY]

or eye focussing - yach - ptui!

AND

Never mind all this fast fps malarkey what I want is SLOW fpm
- i.e. I want the ability to shoot one frame every 10 secs, 20 secs or 30secs or one a minute - without having to buy an external timing device

LATEST Rumour is .... new 5D WON'T have

Mirror lock up button ( but can be set via registered custom mode)

Last edited by I Simonius : 17th of September 2008 (Wed) at 13:01. Reason: oh nothing.. - it's just a rumour
I Simonius is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of April 2006 (Sun)   #2
hemuni

Default Re: NEW 5D RUMOUR !!

what about 12 stop dynamic range?
Old 9th of April 2006 (Sun)   #3
I Simonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemuni
what about 12 stop dynamic range?
Non possibile est!

Why? because you'd need more sensitive pixels and they'd go in the 1D series first
Instead we'll have smaller pixels which will in theory have less dynamic range BUT the 1Ds manages OK so I wouldn't worry

However if there'sa Digit 3 processor to go with it and the rest of the range then you might be talking, as it is the DR is about 8 stops aint it?
Old 9th of April 2006 (Sun)   #4
hemuni

Well maybe not entirely impossible. You can group 2 or 3 pixels together to record different areas of the specter. This has been done already, but i cant remember by who.

I actually do think that the coming upgrade to the 1Ds will have larger DR - time will tell.

Last edited by hemuni : 9th of April 2006 (Sun) at 22:57.
hemuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2006 (Sun)   #5
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

Fuji has the system with two different types of sensor pickups..
It works well.
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2006 (Sun)   #6
I Simonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems
It works well.
Fingers crossed then , but I still think they'd put it in the 1D series for a year before it got into other models

I do think they have to update the 5D though because I reckon they didnt sell anywhere near as many as they hoped, -the one I got had offers that expired pre-Xmas last year - in fact I have the impression only now that they are offering £200 cashback and the price having dropped so far are they actually moving again after the intorductory flurry.

I think the reason for this is that a lot of lanscape photogs (who need the detail) would love a FF cheaper and lighter than the 1Ds but want the level of IQ that the 1Ds currently has and just won't spend that much until it's there. The 5D sold mostly to portrait and wedding photogs as far as I can ascertain

If they do up it, the sales will do what they had origianlly hoped IMVVHO

Last edited by I Simonius : 9th of April 2006 (Sun) at 16:16.
I Simonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2006 (Sun)   #7
hemuni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon king
Fingers crossed then , but I still think they'd put it in the 1D series for a year before it got into other models...
I agree that the 1 series will see high DR sensors first. But what would then be an upgrade if not sensor? Semipro like the D200?

The cashback sure seems to have made more people jump the wagon, at least around this forum, myself included. Mine also had the free CF card offer expiring in 2005.

The high introductory price indicates that they didn't expect to sell this by the truckloads, but sales probably hasn't been what they hoped for and I'm sure prices will drop further during 2006.

Last edited by hemuni : 16th of April 2006 (Sun) at 07:10.
hemuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2006 (Mon)   #8
I Simonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemuni
I agree that the 1 series will see high DR sensors first. But what would then be an upgrade if not sensor? Semipro like the D200?

The cashback sure seems to have made more people jump the wagon, at least around this forum, myself included. Mine also had the free CF card offer expiring in 2005.

The high introductory price indicates that they didn't expect to sell this by the truckloads, but sales probably hasn't been what they hoped fore and I'm sure prices will drop further during 2006.
Yes sensor upgrade but the 5D will always get one technology below the 1D seerries, so put the new stuff (whatever that will be) in the 1D and give the 5D a 17MP sensor - that'd do me for several a year!
Old 11th of April 2006 (Tue)   #9
1sdman

Hmmm. I would hope for:
  • battery grip with optional wireless built in
  • battery grip with optional GPS built in
  • ultrasonic dust removal on sensor
  • better weather sealing
  • time-lapse built in, with auto-sleep between shots.

Yeap! I like it.
1sdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2006 (Tue)   #10
I Simonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sdman
Hmmm. I would hope for:
  • battery grip with optional wireless built in
  • battery grip with optional GPS built in
  • ultrasonic dust removal on sensor
  • better weather sealing
  • time-lapse built in, with auto-sleep between shots.

Yeap! I like it.
RiGHT- give me the USDust removal and better weathersealing and a 16MP sensor and I'd a a happy bunny!

You can forget the rest of that stuff, that's called a 1D!
Old 14th of April 2006 (Fri)   #11
Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop

I think they'll make a silver version. Everyone would just love that option.
Old 14th of April 2006 (Fri)   #12
I Simonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyneSystems
It works well.
Wasn't that more to extend the DR and colour accuracy, which at the time it was released was crap in most DSLRs, and weren't they using the 'other' chip i.e. not CMOS?

Also surely that limits the amount of MPs you can get on the sensor (presumably to half the optimum for sharpness/resolution?
Old 14th of April 2006 (Fri)   #13
I Simonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizensmith
I think they'll make a silver version. Everyone would just love that option.
How about aWHITE version?

With a built in iPod nano?
The eardrops could be integral to the camera strap!
Old 14th of April 2006 (Fri)   #14
I Simonius

'Someone' in 'a shop' told me they thought the 5D was going to hit £1300 before it's finished (that's more like it!)
Old 14th of April 2006 (Fri)   #15
hemuni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon king
16MP sensor and I'd a a happy bunny...
Common, really??
Denser pixels will likely take away the 5D advantage of richer and deeper images. Personally i hope for DR improvement