Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 09 Apr 2006 (Sunday) 13:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

NEW 5D RUMOUR !!

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Waterdown, ON
Aug 10, 2007 08:56 |  #331

I was just booking a rental with Vistek in Toronto and the rep fed me that the 5D MkII would be out this Fall with the same 16MP full-frame sensor as the Canon 1Ds Mk II. In the same breath he confirmed the 40D would be out in a matter of weeks.

Hmmm, to buy a current 5D when the price drops or the 5D MkII. I doubt I really need 16MP so I'll see what other goodies get added before I decide.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

sponsored links
I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Weather Sealed Photographer
Joined Feb 2005
On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
Aug 10, 2007 09:21 |  #332

Rubi Jane wrote in post #3702257external link
I was just booking a rental with Vistek in Toronto and the rep fed me that the 5D MkII would be out this Fall with the same 16MP full-frame sensor as the Canon 1Ds Mk II. In the same breath he confirmed the 40D would be out in a matter of weeks.

Hmmm, to buy a current 5D when the price drops or the 5D MkII. I doubt I really need 16MP so I'll see what other goodies get added before I decide.

You can buy mine secondhand (but in XLent condition) when I upgrade!;):D

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps external link My Gear ----external link

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Mississippi
Aug 10, 2007 13:18 |  #333

That would be a step back in my opinion. High ISO noise is better on the 5D than the 1DsII. I'd rather have a cleaner 12MP than a noisier 16MP. Here's hoping that it's 16MP but in a redesigned sensor instead of reusing a sensor with older tech.

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Aug 10, 2007 17:09 |  #334

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #3703518external link
That would be a step back in my opinion. High ISO noise is better on the 5D than the 1DsII. I'd rather have a cleaner 12MP than a noisier 16MP. Here's hoping that it's 16MP but in a redesigned sensor instead of reusing a sensor with older tech.

Digic III !;):D

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Mississippi
Aug 10, 2007 22:11 |  #335

I Simonius wrote in post #3704683external link
Digic III !;):D

Digic III isn't magic :) The 1D III has better high ISO performance than the IIN because of redesigned microlenses as well as Digic III processing. The 5DII won't have that benefit if it reuses the 1DsII sensor.

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Waterdown, ON
Aug 10, 2007 23:08 |  #336

I Simonius wrote in post #3702372external link
You can buy mine secondhand (but in XLent condition) when I upgrade!;):D

Upgrade before Christmas then, that way I can get my Mum to bring it over when she comes to visit (she's in Lincolnshire). Hmm, maybe it could be my birthday/Xmas pressie from her since they are only 2 days apart ;)

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

fr0z
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2005
Aug 11, 2007 00:59 as a reply to Rubi Jane's post |  #337

5Dmk2 is 7D? -> http://www.upcdatabase​.com/item.asp?upc=0013​803086706external link

welangle
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2007
Indianapolis
Aug 11, 2007 00:59 as a reply to Rubi Jane's post |  #338

Interesting. I hope the 5D upgrade won't be noisier than the original.

-billy

www.goodpersontest.comexternal link

SunTsu
Goldmember
1,591 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Westcoast, Canada
Aug 11, 2007 02:38 |  #339

Ditto. I really really hope Canon doesn't just plop the old 1D sensor in there thinking higher MP is the end-all.

Canon 5D Mark II+BG-E6, Canon 5D+BG-E4 | 200-400mmL IS, 85mm F1.2L II, TS-E 17mm F4.0L , 16-35mm F2.8L II, 24-105mmL IS, 70-200mm [COLOR=#000000]F2.8L II IS, 100mm F2.8L Macro IS, 100mm F2.8 Macro, 40mm F2.8, 1.4x II, 2.0x III | EF12+25 II | Canon 600EX-RT (x5) | Gitzo support
Full Gear List

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Aug 11, 2007 03:32 |  #340

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #3706114external link
Digic III isn't magic :) The 1D III has better high ISO performance than the IIN because of redesigned microlenses as well as Digic III processing. The 5DII won't have that benefit if it reuses the 1DsII sensor.

yeah I knew that;):p

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Aug 11, 2007 03:32 |  #341

Rubi Jane wrote in post #3706307external link
Upgrade before Christmas then, that way I can get my Mum to bring it over when she comes to visit (she's in Lincolnshire). Hmm, maybe it could be my birthday/Xmas pressie from her since they are only 2 days apart ;)

sounds good;)

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Aug 11, 2007 03:34 |  #342

welangle wrote in post #3706706external link
Interesting. I hope the 5D upgrade won't be noisier than the original.

Hussssh, quiet upgrade in progress;):lol:

SunTsu wrote in post #3707016external link
Ditto. I really really hope Canon doesn't just plop the old 1D sensor in there thinking higher MP is the end-all.

AGREE!:evil:;)

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Aug 21, 2007 09:24 as a reply to I Simonius's post |  #343

At last we now know what the 5D upgrade will have!

It will have all the 40D features including the 'improved' weather resistance (not weatherproofing!)- the only difference being more MPs (16.7?)

And that's it.

but where is it ??? :confused: :cry:

Punisher77
302 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Aug 21, 2007 09:53 |  #344

I Simonius wrote in post #3767172external link
It will have all the 40D features including the 'improved' weather resistance (not weatherproofing!)- the only difference being more MPs (16.7?)

And that's it.

but where is it ??? :confused: :cry:

I hope it has more than the 40D otherwise the only point in owning it is full frame. The current 5D has much better tonal control and DR as well as lower noise than the 30D which is another reason (other than FF) that makes it very attractive.

I'm hoping it's out early next year. I've been waiting for it for 9 months now and I'm tempted to get a 40D to hold me over... ;)

Flickrexternal link :: Portfolioexternal link
My humble kit

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Aug 21, 2007 09:56 |  #345

Next February - it'll be around next February. At least that's my guess.
Sensor should be based on that of the 1D3, just as the 5D was based on the 1D2. Around 15.5 to 16 Mpx.

I expect a few additional features over the 40D, but not much. ISO 50 and 6400, perhaps an improved viewfinder over the present 5D (maybe with an available split-image focus screen??), a few invisible "assist" AF points around the center like the present 5D. I'm going to guess 4 frames per second, with a bit larger buffer than present.

I would hope that it's at least as noise-free as the present model, if not moreso.

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

sponsored links

384,763 views & 0 likes for this thread
NEW 5D RUMOUR !!
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.