Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Forum Feedback' section > Forum Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of April 2006 (Mon)   #1
tommykjensen
The Admin Dane
"Nobody is safe!"

Arrow Tutorial: Thumbnails with link to external image (and inline attachments)

Want to showoff a big photo but also want to be considerate to fellow members?

Then creating a small thumbnail with a link to the big image is what You should do.

This does require that You host the image on a server other than POTN attachment folder. See this thread for where to host images.

First You need to create a thumbnail. You can create a thumbnail the same way as You create an avatar and there is a great tutorial on that here. Only difference is the size You should make the thumbnail. I recommend a little larger than the size for avatars

The thumbnails can be hosted on the same server as the big photo or You can in fact attach the thumbnail to the thread. Of course by putting the thumbnail in the attachment container You restrict Your post to 2 photos/thumbnails.

The first one here use a thumbnail attached to this post. Use the [ATTACH ]number[/ATTACH ] tag to imbed the attachment inside the post instead of in the attachment container. To get that tag inserted first click on the manage attachment button and upload the image. Then position the cursor in the editor where You want the thumbnail and click on the little downarrow next to the paperclick and choose the attachment to insert it.

Then mark the text and click on the link button to insert the link to the external photo. Or You can just copy the text from the code box below (remember to correct urls )

HarrisHawk1_thm.jpg

The complete text for the above thumbnail + link looks like this:
[url="http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/photohtml.php?n=HarrisHawk1.jpg"][ATTACH]70055[/ATTACH][/url]

The other method where both the thumbnail and big picture is hosted elsewhere look like this.

The complete text for the above thumbnail + link looks like this:
[url="http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/photohtml.php?n=PrivateCarnival1.jpg"][IMG]http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/public/PrivateCarnival1_thm.jpg[/IMG][/url]

If You have many photos to show off the POTN staff recommends that You host the photos in a seperate gallery and just post a few of the photos here and provide links to the gallery.

Hope this is usefull. Feel free to ask if You have any questions on how to do this or if some of the instructions above is not clear enough.

Just below here You can see what an attachment container is.

Other usefull links:
Tutorial: How to attach photos to a post
Tutorial: Where to host my photos
Tutorial: Creating An Avatar in Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PrivateCarnival1_thm.jpg (75.1 KB, 11148 views)

Last edited by tommykjensen : 25th of March 2007 (Sun) at 06:09.
tommykjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of April 2006 (Mon)   #2
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide

Default Re: Thumbnails with link to external image

Great job Orophin of Dorthonion ... this is an excellent little tutorial.

condyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2006 (Mon)   #3
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006

I have always liked your harris hawk picture, but do you know what? I think I prefer the second picture in this excellent tutorial

N
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of April 2006 (Mon)   #4
tommykjensen
The Admin Dane
"Nobody is safe!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_r
I have always liked your harris hawk picture, but do you know what? I think I prefer the second picture in this excellent tutorial

N
Haha I wonder why
tommykjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2006 (Mon)   #5
Maureen Souza
Ms. Moderator

Nice... thanks Tommy.

5DIII x2
Canon Lenses:
50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0,
300/f4, 24-70!
Pro1
Maureen Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2006 (Tue)   #6
Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired

Excellent work Tommy. Perhaps you should post a link in the all Share forums in the Posting Guidelines post that Pekka has Stickied.

Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2007 (Wed)   #7
acousticvibrations

Default Re: Tutorial: Thumbnails with link to external image (and inline attachments)

that was very helpful.
Dont forget 18-55mm toy lens.
acousticvibrations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2007 (Fri)   #8
Geo

Default Re: Tutorial: Thumbnails with link to external image (and inline attachments)

Great tutorial and very important.
flickr FACEBOOK Canon EOS 5D mark II, Canon EOS 7D,Lens: Canon 24-70 mm 2.8 L, 85 mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.8 Canon 70-200 mm 2.8 L IS, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 , 16-35mm 2.8LII-Flash: Canon 430 EX, 580 EX II, Extender EF 2X II, and much more stuff.
In his own words, "I don't photographer the world as it is. I photographer the world as I would like it to be." Monte Zucker.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of May 2007 (Wed)   #9
StewartR
"your nose is too big"

Just to add that some image hosting sites (including SmugMug) create thumbnails for you automatically, so you don't need to create one yourself and you don't need to attach the thumbnail.

Here's an example:

Click on image to see larger version.

The code to do that looks like this:
[url=http://StewartR.SmugMug.com/photos/135988342-O.JPG][img]http://StewartR.smugmug.com/photos/135988342-S.jpg[/img][/url]
where the first URL refers to the large version of the image and the second version refers to the (automatically generated) small version of the image.

Photos: Cats | London by day | London by night I My POTN photo sharing threads | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4
StewartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of May 2007 (Wed)   #10
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006

Stewart, you may just have been posting an example but that is a stunning picture ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Old 30th of May 2007 (Wed)   #11
StewartR
"your nose is too big"

Thanks Neil. But I was hardly going to pick a crap one, was I?

Photos: Cats | London by day | London by night I My POTN photo sharing threads | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4
StewartR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of June 2007 (Mon)   #12
r.morales
Goldmember

Thanks for the postings .
Question - what is a good site for posting retrieving pictures ? [ if I said best it would start long posts ]
I am on a garden forum also and post a lot . Every-time I want to post a picture , it's - start OS 9 [on a mac ] then start photoshop and save it as [ add a S for smaller ] size down save it .
r.morales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of November 2007 (Thu)   #13
jackprks

Old shoulder

New shoulder

Did both the same, only the first one worked. Why?

350d, Kit 18-55,, EF 50mm 1.4, Sigma 70-300 4/5.6 APO DG Macro, Sigma 17-70 2.8/4.5 DG Macro, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Opteka 7000 tripod, Monfroto Monopod & 785B Modo , Sigma 500 super, Delta flash breacket, Kenko turbes, cards and batteries.

Last edited by Jon : 1st of November 2007 (Thu) at 15:21.
jackprks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of November 2007 (Thu)   #14
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Fixed. You had a space between the [IMG] and the image URL.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of November 2007 (Thu)   #15
jackprks

Thank you, couldn't figure it out.

350d, Kit 18-55,, EF 50mm 1.4, Sigma 70-300 4/5.6 APO DG Macro, Sigma 17-70 2.8/4.5 DG Macro, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Opteka 7000 tripod, Monfroto Monopod & 785B Modo , Sigma 500 super, Delta flash breacket, Kenko turbes, cards and batteries.
jackprks is offline   Reply With Quote