Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 19 Apr 2006 (Wednesday) 11:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tutorial: How to attach photos to a post

tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,890 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
Apr 19, 2006 11:36 |  #1

When You create a new post it is possible to attach photos that are displayed imbedded when viewing the post like the sample photo attached in the bottom of this tutorial.

There 2 ways to display photos in a post.

1. Attach photos to the post which is what this tutorial is about. This means the photos are stored on the POTN server and thus use storage space provided by POTN.
  2. Link to photos hosted on own server or photoservice like PBase

Edit: Embedding - How to link to an image.
See post #2 in: Where to host my photos

To be able to attach the photos to a post they have to meet 2 requirements

1. Must be less than 150 kbyte in size
  2. Must not exceed the dimension of 1024x1024 pixels (the forum software will resize it automatically if the photo is bigger but I suggest you resize since the forum might not use the best method to resize).

both of these requirements are in place to conserve storage space which is not unlimited. And it is expensive and all paid for by the owner Pekka.

Be sure to check the Image posting rules for all the rules about posting photos.

Ok first step is to prepare the photos to be attached. There is atutorial on how to create avatarsfor the forum. You can use the same technique to prepare the photos. The only difference is the size and dimension You have to hit when adjusting the photo.

When You have prepared the photos it is time to upload them to the server. To do this scroll the "New post" form down to "Additional Options". In that section You will see a box named "Attachments" inside that is a button "Manage Attachments" click on that.

IMAGE: http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/public/attachtut/attachtut1.jpg

A new window opens. It is from here You locate the photos You have prepared in advance.

IMAGE: http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/public/attachtut/attachtut2.jpg

Click on browse and find Your photo then click on upload.

If the photo is too big in kbyte You will get a message like this one

IMAGE: http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/public/attachtut/attachtut3.jpg

then You would need to adjust the photo until the size is accepted.

If the photo exceed the 800x800 dimension You will get this message

IMAGE: http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/public/attachtut/attachtut4.jpg

again You need to adjust the photo until the dimension is not exceeded.

If all goes well You can close the window and return to the main form. If You scroll down to "Additional Options" You can verify that You have attached the photos. Just above the "Manage Attachments" button You will see the filenames of the photos attached.

IMAGE: http://photo.klein-jensen.dk/public/attachtut/attachtut5.jpg

Then You are ready to finish the post. Write a story about the photo to make it interesting and choose the subject line wisely.

Other usefull links:

Image posting rules

Tutorial: Thumbnails with link to external image
Tutorial: Where to host my photos
Tutorial: Creating An Avatar in Photoshop & Paint Shop Pro

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,806 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Apr 19, 2006 12:46 |  #2

More On Attaching Images.

You can also use additional functions to get the attached images to show up "inline" as if they were embeded.
This way you can put the images and text anywhere in your post.

After you upload the picks using the "manage attachments" feature as illustrated above, then you can embed those attached images anywhere within the post to suit your needs.

To do this, first put your text cursor where you want the image to be embedded in your post. (you can move it later too)
Next click on the little tiny paper clip icon

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'
in the editor tools.

From the drop down menu select the image you wish to embed.
Text will appear in your post that looks like this;

[ATTACH]123456[/ATTACH]

You can move the [ATTACH]123456[/ATTACH] part to where you want the image to display,.

This way you can "embed" and image "inline" like so;
HOSTED PHOTO
IR Blossom
EOS D60- IR converted, EF 17-40mmL

If you don't do that second step the attached images will display like so always at the end of the post.

HOSTED PHOTO

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

L ­ A ­ Mac
350 posts
Joined Apr 2004
San Diego
Jun 13, 2006 15:33 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #3

I don't use save for web. I size photos for 800 in the longest dimension abd save at 72 DPI with a file size of 8. These are too large. What else would you recommend? If I compress the file size more it will distort the image.
Thanks

tommykjensen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
20,890 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
Jun 13, 2006 15:52 |  #4

Make sure exif information is not saved in the file. The easiest is to use save for web if You are using PS CS / PS CS2.

Otherwise You only alternative is to reduce the size in small steps until it is less than 100 kb. Try 700 pixels on the longest side.

EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

ArcticEOS
968 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Lake Orion, Michigan
Jun 17, 2006 23:38 as a reply to tommykjensen's post |  #5

testing attachment

My Nature & Wildlife Blogexternal link

For members of POTN, I am offering custom designed photo galleries starting at $150. Need a website? Let me know!

Thompsunshine
753 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Ohio
Jun 19, 2006 23:54 |  #6

I am near tears at this point. I cannot figure out how to post photos. Apparently everyone else understands what your tutorial was saying, but not me. :-(

"...the photos are stored on the POTN server..." And where might that be exactly?

I tried Image Shack, PhotoBucket, and I downloadeda widget from dbushell.com. Nothing works. At ImageShack it said "Please select only one of the supported file types: allowed: jpg jpeg png gif bmp tif tiff swf < 1.5 megabytes.

Now the photo I was trying to put on there was 128 kb, adobe photoshop jpeg file, 700 x 417 dimension. Now I saw no reason why it shouldn't have taken the photo.

I would really like to think that I am NOT the only one with what seems to be stupid problems. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I am the only one who seems to lack the intelligence to maneuver through this technological nightmare.

Canon 20D
Canon 18-55mm kit lens | Canon 70-300 f/4.0 IS | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5 | Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR DI LD |Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro| Speedlite 580EX | Manfrotto 055PROB with 3030QR PAN-TILT HD
**NEW**Canon EF 300mm 1:2.8 L IS USM **NEW**Canon Extender EF 2 X 11

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Jun 21, 2006 09:00 as a reply to Thompsunshine's post |  #7

Thompsunshine wrote:
I am near tears at this point. I cannot figure out how to post photos. Apparently everyone else understands what your tutorial was saying, but not me. :-(

"...the photos are stored on the POTN server..." And where might that be exactly?

I tried Image Shack, PhotoBucket, and I downloadeda widget from dbushell.com. Nothing works. At ImageShack it said "Please select only one of the supported file types: allowed: jpg jpeg png gif bmp tif tiff swf < 1.5 megabytes.

Now the photo I was trying to put on there was 128 kb, adobe photoshop jpeg file, 700 x 417 dimension. Now I saw no reason why it shouldn't have taken the photo.

I would really like to think that I am NOT the only one with what seems to be stupid problems. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I am the only one who seems to lack the intelligence to maneuver through this technological nightmare.

If you are attaching a picture to a post, you would upload it from your hard disk to here through the "Attachments" of the Advanced posting screen. If your images are hosted elsewhere, you'd embed them with the [IMG]http://site.url/p​icture.type[/IMG] tag

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Thompsunshine
753 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Ohio
Jun 21, 2006 11:59 |  #8

hmm We will see if this works!

Canon 20D
Canon 18-55mm kit lens | Canon 70-300 f/4.0 IS | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5 | Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR DI LD |Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro| Speedlite 580EX | Manfrotto 055PROB with 3030QR PAN-TILT HD

Thompsunshine
753 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Ohio
Jun 21, 2006 12:25 |  #9

Well, apparently I have found where to attach the photos, thanks to Jon. Thanks Jon.

Now for the next step. Once I have made sure that they are within the limits set forth, and I have uploaded the photograph, then what? I tried it a couple of times but it just doesn't show up? Ready for Idiot Uploading, Class 2. :-)

Canon 20D

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Near Charlotte, NC.
Jun 21, 2006 12:32 as a reply to Thompsunshine's post |  #10

Once you have uploaded the images you click on the paperclip icon and select 1 or both images to be inserted where your cursor is on your post.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

Thompsunshine
753 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Ohio
Jun 22, 2006 00:49 |  #11

HOSTED PHOTO

Well I'll be. I think I finally got one. LOL

Thank you Jon. Thank you In2Photos. OH! And did I say thank you??:eek:

YIPEEEE!!!!!!

Canon 20D

breezeart
26 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Jul 21, 2006 19:53 |  #12

thanks for the info, very useful!!! :)

Submit Photos & make some $$$external link

www.breezeart.usexternal link

backlot
102 posts
Joined Jul 2006
bermuda dunes
Jul 27, 2006 23:22 |  #13

could you please tell me why above the eagle photo it says attached image
and on the child photo it does not
is there a difference on how they are attached?
thank you
:cool:

Visual Literacy is what I am striving for…..
there is no finish line.....

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
LA
Jul 27, 2006 23:26 |  #14

Tommy Do you know how much of pain I personally went through when 1st here?
Good job done. You have many thanks of noobies should they find this thread.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005
The Left Coast in the Land of Fruits and Nuts
Jul 27, 2006 23:46 as a reply to backlot's post |  #15

backlot wrote:
could you please tell me why above the eagle photo it says attached image
and on the child photo it does not
is there a difference on how they are attached?
thank you
:cool:

The eagle image has been uploaded from the poster's computer to the POTN server and is an attached image.
The child's image is hosted on another server like PhotoBucket, SmugMug, ImageShack, or the like then embedded in the thread using the image tags----[IMG]url of the image[IMG] and voilà it magically appears in the post.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

sponsored links

107,809 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tutorial: How to attach photos to a post
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.