Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Macro prime lens do you use?
Canon 60 f2.8 453 12.05%
Canon 100 f2.8 1900 50.55%
Canon 180 f3.5 139 3.70%
Sigma 50 f2.8 99 2.63%
Sigma 105 f2.8 253 6.73%
Sigma 150 f2.8 261 6.94%
Sigma 180 f3.5 60 1.60%
Tamron 90 f2.8 261 6.94%
Tamron 180 f3.5 42 1.12%
Tokina 100 f2.8 53 1.41%
Canon MPE65 211 5.61%
Canon 50mm f2.5 "Comapct" Macro / LS Converter 125 3.33%
Canon 100 f2.8L IS 250 6.65%
Tamron 60mm F/2.0 1:1 SP Macro 0 0%
Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro 0 0%
Zeiss 50mm f/2 Makro-Planar 0 0%
Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro-Planar 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3759. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd of May 2006 (Wed)   #46
JDUPhoto

Default Re: Looking for zoom/macro lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Airy Ed
Hi, I'm on a budget and would like to get both a zoom and macro lens in one. I see mostly fixed macro lenses used here. In a few posts, I've seen the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro. What's your opinion of that lens? What are the zoom/macros that are better than that one?

Thanks!
Ed
Ed, you may be looking for an impossible combination. Many lenses claim to be macro, but don't come anywhere near 1:1 magnification. The lens you've asked about achieves no better than 1:2 and that's at a minimum focussing distance of 1.5m (59.1 inches). However, that magnification is a good deal better than you'll get from most zoom lenses, so may not be a bad option if 1:2 is macro enough for you. It would no doubt be a good choice for butterflies and other larger subjects.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of May 2006 (Wed)   #47
Lester Wareham

Default Re: Looking for zoom/macro lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Airy Ed
Hi, I'm on a budget and would like to get both a zoom and macro lens in one. I see mostly fixed macro lenses used here. In a few posts, I've seen the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro. What's your opinion of that lens? What are the zoom/macros that are better than that one?

Thanks!
Ed
A lot of zooms have macro in the title and on the focus ring. This is really a marketting gimick and indicates some close focus capability.

A real macro lens will be specialy designed for very high resolution, low chromatic aberation and good flatness of field over a large magnification range. They can normally focus unaided to at least life size. Most modern macro lenses also perform well at conventional distances.

You can use zooms with tubes to get higher magnification but aparantly this introduces more chromatic aberation than one gets with a good prime. However some people have published pics with the kit lens etc that look very good on the web - I don't know how good they are if printed at A3 or larger.

If you are a budget get tubes and use tham with a good prime, if you don't have a good prime get the 50/1.8 if really stuck for cash.
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
Lester Wareham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2006 (Wed)   #48
Carzee
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: -=TOP TEN=- Which macro lens do you use?

Nil.
No macro. Am I the only one without macro glass?

I plan on re-acquiring a Kiron 105 f2.8 if I see one.
Old 8th of May 2006 (Mon)   #49
kwsanders

The macro that I use is not on the list, so I thought I would mention it here. I have the 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro. It is half lifesize (1:2). I hope to purchase the 100mm f/2.8 macro in the near future.

20D w/BG-E2 grip, 400mm f/5.6 L, 70-200mm f/4L, 17-40 f/4L, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, Canon 1.4x extender, 580EX Flash
Full Gear List
kwsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2006 (Mon)   #50
Reyno
Cream of the Crop

Tamron 90mm 2.8. Just got it today.
Old 16th of May 2006 (Tue)   #51
35mm

I have an extension ring. i can't afford a lense
Old 19th of May 2006 (Fri)   #52
Bob Boner

I use the Canon 180. I have used Minolta 50mm, Vivitar 90mm,Nikon 55, 105, and 200mm, and the Çanon 180. I like the 180 the best. I think it is one of the top two lenses Canon makes (300 f/2.8 is possibly as good). I highly recommend it.
Bob Boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of May 2006 (Wed)   #53
rgravel

Smile Re: -=TOP TEN=- Which macro lens do you use?

I just voted for the Canon 100, because I just ordered one from B&H moments ago

Can't wait to receive it

Last edited by rgravel : 1st of June 2006 (Thu) at 06:58.
rgravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of May 2006 (Wed)   #54
dpastern
User is banned from forums

Sigma 150mm Got it a few days ago, still getting used to it, it's a lot heavier than my 50mm/kenko tube setup - with my flash, flash bracket and 1D the whole lot is around 3kg I'd say. I swear the Sigma is heavier than both my Canon 70-200 f2.8 and 300mm f4 Excellent build quality and feel, and the optical quality is very very sharp, top notch. Sharper than my Canon 50mm f1.8, and that's a reasonably sharp lens I believe.

After having just spent 3-4 months getting my focusing technique down to pat with the 50mm/tubes combo I'm having to start all over again with the Sigma, most of my shots so far have been pretty disappointing from my end. I did get a few good shots of ants and a jumper yesterday though, haven't processed them yet

For those looking at a macro lens, and not wanting to cart around a heavy lens, go for the Canon 100mm as it's smaller and lighter and easier to handle than the Sigma 150mm (but no better in image quality).

The Sigma's AF isn't too bad at all - the HSM is silent, and it's pretty accurate. It's a tad too slow, but it'll only affect you if you're trying to use it for sports/action etc. Normal usage, the AF speed is fine.

Dave

edited: I failed to mention originally that the Sigma represents fantastic value for money, and the optical performance is every bit as good as the Canon 180mm f3.5L as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure some will disagree with me on that one
dpastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2006 (Thu)   #55
benca1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern

edited: I failed to mention originally that the Sigma represents fantastic value for money, and the optical performance is every bit as good as the Canon 180mm f3.5L as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure some will disagree with me on that one
The Canon 180mm L has some of the worst vignetting going for a macro lens and the saddest MTF numbers I've seen for a macro lens.

FWIW, the highest res lens, theoretically, is the Tamron 90mm which puts all others to shame with virtually no vignetting worth mentioning. Gaspingly sharp wide open. Following the same numbers the next sharpest Macro is the Sigma 105, the Canon 100, and the Sigma 150. The Canon 180 comes in dead last.

For the money, being that the 100mm Canon comes with nothing but a box and the Tamron comes with a 6 year warranty, pouch and hood, it seems sort of short sighted to pass it up for the Canon. Both being less then 500 dollars. (the Tamron is actually about 25 to 50 bucks cheaper). And the 10mm less focal length helps the Tamron better as a portrain lens for APC cameras.

For 350 bucks, it looks like the Sigma 105 is the best bargain going.
benca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2006 (Thu)   #56
madferrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by benca1

For 350 bucks, it looks like the Sigma 105 is the best bargain going.
I'm so glad you said that, i just purchased this lens from a fellow POTNer.. just can't wait to put it to use
Old 3rd of June 2006 (Sat)   #57
Sn@ve

I only recently acquired the Canon 100mm f 2.8 and I love it. I am virtually certain that I'll end up with the 180mm version at some point in time. It is without a doubt my favorite lens and macro is my favorite genre of photography.

www.pbase.com/snave/galleries

Comments and critique are always welcome.
Sn@ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of June 2006 (Sun)   #58
mR_CaESaR

im' a sigma 150mm user here, but i'm still learning the art of macro, i really would like to get some pics of flies and butterfiles like the ones i see on this forum, bloody amazing, but i have no idea how they are done.
mR_CaESaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of June 2006 (Mon)   #59
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsanders
The macro that I use is not on the list, so I thought I would mention it here. I have the 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro. It is half lifesize (1:2). I hope to purchase the 100mm f/2.8 macro in the near future.
It really is on the list....
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of June 2006 (Mon)   #60
dpastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_CaESaR
im' a sigma 150mm user here, but i'm still learning the art of macro, i really would like to get some pics of flies and butterfiles like the ones i see on this forum, bloody amazing, but i have no idea how they are done.
Lots of practice my fellow Sydneyite The Sigma 150mm is a big lens though, it's heavy and solid. I'm getting a few good shots here and there, but it's a lot harder to hold steady than my old 50mm/tubes combo. That all said, the Sigma is a gem!

Dave
dpastern is offline   Reply With Quote