Thread started 22 Apr 2006 (Saturday) 15:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
Joined Mar 2005
20,848 posts
Birmingham, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I find that looking at others shots can be a great education in composition and imagination. Books can be much nicer and easier to handle than checking out shots online too. Do you have any particular photo packed books that you love, especially if the shots have inspired your own creativity?

I'm happy to kick off with a couple:

On this Earth: Photographs from East Africa by Nick Brandt
Wide Angle: National Geographic Greatest Places by Ferdinand Protzman

Post #1, Apr 22, 2006 15:56:08

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
cjm
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
4,740 posts
Edmonton, Alberta
[MORE/SHARE]

One I like is

"the private lives of animals" by Roger Caras. Although half the pictures are B&W because its a old photo book it is most amazing, especially coming from a age before cropping was available.

I have these old Alberta Magazines from the 60's & 70's and they are very amazing because they had photographers take creative pictures of everyday life. I tend to collect picture books I see at a garage sale that I like.

Post #2, Apr 22, 2006 17:58:21

Christopher J Martin
Gear: 1D MKIII - 60D - G16 - 24mm f1.4 L
- 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm IS f2.8 L - 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS L and more...

flyb0y
Joined Feb 2006
331 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Any National Geographic issue.

Post #3, Apr 22, 2006 18:16:55

Sean-Mcr
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
1,813 posts
Manchester, England
[MORE/SHARE]

I've got a fair few Dave

Cross town by Helen Levvit. reissue but still a future collectible, which is not why i bought it, it's simply visual poetry

Figments of the real world: By Prof John Szarkowski on the works of Gary Winogrand. Another reissue on a remarkable man with a remarkable eye

Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Man, the Image and the World: A great retrospective of his work which you well know i admire

Robert Frank the Americans. One of the greatest windows in to the soul of America ever made. Two years of travelling the states on grant from the Guggenheim and it changed the face of documentary photography

Bruce Davidson: Subway- Revised edition. ( Beautifully candid)
http://www.magnumphoto​s.com ...ocT&E=2K7O3RJSJ42A&​DT=ALBexternal link

Bruce Davidson has become my favourite photographer. His images floor me & give me a series reality check on my own ability but make me want to take photographs. Not to emulate him, nobody could. But i have some sort of drive and his work helps me understand it better.

I have a few more books on his work. Portraits, time of change. East 100th street and Brooklyn gangs.

Joe Cornish: First light i don't really shoot landscapes but i think this is the UK's best landscape photographer and one of the best in the world. Beautiful work, beautiful book

It's become a real love collecting books, there is simply noting like seeing work in print. They've become really special to me, i've never been one for having emotional attachments to objects but they're beyond that for me

Oh, have Robert Capa's retrospective to

Post #4, Apr 22, 2006 19:47:25

I don't know what good composition is.... Sometimes for me composition has to do with a certain brightness or a certain coming to restness and other times it has to do with funny mistakes. There's a kind of rightness and wrongness and sometimes I like rightness and sometimes I like wrongness. Diane Arbus

http://www.pbase.com/s​ean_mcrexternal link

SWPhotoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,231 posts
No. Calif.
[MORE/SHARE]

cjm wrote:
. . . especially coming from a age before cropping was available.

So, when was cropping unavailable? Even in the earliest days of film photography, with contact printing, one could cut a negative with scissors and print the "crop".

Maybe with daguerreotypes there were some difficulties in cropping, since the metal plate was exposed in-camera.

Post #5, Apr 22, 2006 20:49:34 as a reply to cjm's post 2 hours earlier.

SWPhoto-Imaging

sponsored links
condyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
Joined Mar 2005
20,848 posts
Birmingham, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Sean-Mcr wrote:
Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Man, the Image and the World: A great retrospective of his work which you well know i admire

Robert Frank the Americans. One of the greatest windows in to the soul of America ever made. Two years of travelling the states on grant from the Guggenheim and it changed the face of documentary photography

These two are on my list, esp. the first. I'm also interested in his India shots. There must be some fascinating images from his many travels there. It's a fascinating country today, let along then.

Post #6, Apr 24, 2006 13:30:01 as a reply to Sean-Mcr's post 1 day earlier.

Sean-Mcr
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
1,813 posts
Manchester, England
[MORE/SHARE]

You're going to chuckle here mate...

Every single photograph in the book is a full 35mm frame just as it came from one of his Leicas. He never cropped his photos and god knows (and the rest of the world) i'm no bresson. But i admire that greatly

Post #7, Apr 24, 2006 13:41:07

I don't know what good composition is.... Sometimes for me composition has to do with a certain brightness or a certain coming to restness and other times it has to do with funny mistakes. There's a kind of rightness and wrongness and sometimes I like rightness and sometimes I like wrongness. Diane Arbus

http://www.pbase.com/s​ean_mcrexternal link

condyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
Joined Mar 2005
20,848 posts
Birmingham, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Sean-Mcr wrote:
You're going to chuckle here mate...

Every single photograph in the book is a full 35mm frame just as it came from one of his Leicas. He never cropped his photos and god knows (and the rest of the world) i'm no bresson. But i admire that greatly

Yes, some people are just too lazy to go the whole way and achieve perfection :p

Post #8, Apr 26, 2006 07:26:15 as a reply to Sean-Mcr's post 1 day earlier.

dewmuw
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
6,021 posts
Wirral, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I have this and look at is often for inspiration Chased by the Light - Jim Brandenburgexternal link

Any of Laurie Campbell'sexternal link books. (get well soon Laurie)

Bonobo by Frans Lantingexternal link

Not a book but E Chambre Hardman'sexternal link work is inspiring. Particulalry his images of my town.

Post #9, Apr 26, 2006 07:38:08

Damian, 30D & G3 and stuff I've no idea how to use (so C&C always welcome)
My Galleryexternal link
My pBaseexternal link
POTN Fantasy Football League Latest League Table

condyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
Joined Mar 2005
20,848 posts
Birmingham, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok, I just got a great book. Truly inspiring. Is it a photo book tho? Well, it's a book of photographs about graffitti called Banksy: Wall and Piece. Features many of his extraordinary pieces and showcases a guy with an amazing eye, a cutting edge and a great sense of humour. Thought provoking and fun to browse.

Something of relevance for photographers who think gear will make a great shot: [I]'All artists are prepared to suffer for their work but why are so few prepared to learn to draw.'/I] :lol: :lol: I likee this guy.

Post #10, Apr 26, 2006 12:48:57

Claire
Ikea Wannabee
Joined Jan 2004
8,181 posts
Gothenburg, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

I really like Bambi Cantrell's book on wedding photography. Lots of inspiring images within that genre.

Post #11, Apr 26, 2006 15:20:04

My Photo Website -external link | My Flickr galleryexternal link | Photography Blogexternal link | My Twitter accountexternal link | Become a Fan on Facebookexternal link
"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"

sponsored links
rdenney
Rick "who is not suited for any one title" Denney
Joined Jun 2003
2,399 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Quiet Light, by John Sexton

Rick "who gave up on black and white because of the impossible standard this book set" Denney

Post #12, Apr 26, 2006 15:28:04

The List

cjm
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
4,740 posts
Edmonton, Alberta
[MORE/SHARE]

A book I really liked was the K.I.S.S. Guide to Photography by John Garrett. My parents bought it for me about 4 christmas' ago and I still look at it from time to time. It taught me all about F stops, and other things.

Post #13, Apr 26, 2006 19:21:30

Christopher J Martin
Gear: 1D MKIII - 60D - G16 - 24mm f1.4 L
- 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm IS f2.8 L - 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS L and more...

rickyjones24
Joined Apr 2006
23 posts
Reading. Uk
[MORE/SHARE]

First light by Joe Cornish, the mans a genius.

Worthy mentions of 3 more to " light of the earth", Worlds top photograpgers on landscape and "photos with impact"

Post #14, Apr 27, 2006 17:21:58 as a reply to cjm's post 22 hours earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,339 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your most inspiring photo book?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES