Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #1
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop

Default How to carry it all?

I've been accumulating gear at a frightening pace, and I really haven't figured out a good way to carry it all conveniently.

Life was simple when all I had was the 10D body and the 28-135 zoom. My garden-variety camera bag served very adequately. Then, I started picking up more and more lenses and accessories, and suddenly I now have in addition to the original camera bag, two Halliburton cases, a tripod, and another canvas bag.

I'd be interested in hearing how some of you---particularly those who also have a lot of equipment---handle it all when you leave the house. I'm fortunate in one respect: I have a pickup truck, so I have no concerns about getting everything from Point A to Point B, but it's pretty overwhelming once I get to my destination.

Also, do you let bellmen handle your equipment in hotels? I don't, and this greatly complicates the process of checking in at hotels.

This is a problem entirely of my own making, but I know some of you must have come up with elegant solutions. Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #2
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: How to carry it all?

Incidentally, the Pentaxes stay home. They're just decoration at this point.
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #3
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

The gear on your list looks to be about the same "weight" that I have.

10D,. 17-40mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50-500mm Sigma,. 28-300mm Sigma,. 50mm f/1.8, batery grip,. batteries charger X-drive,. filters etc....

...this all fits into one big black bag ($89.00 ritz quantaray)
BUT it remains in my trunk when I'm out shooting,. I can't possibly hike with this. So I am thinking very seriously about one of these backpacks. I won't get one to house all the gear,. (the big black bag will continue to that) but it wil give me an "excursion bag" for the hikes. So if I am out looking for herons with the 500mm wish I had the 17mm for a setting sun landscape,. I will be good to go.

Sorry none of this is an answer for you,. more of an "Yeah,. me too, how do they do it?"
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #4
RichardtheSane
Goldmember

My most elegant solution is don't carry all your equipment everywhere.
I always take what I need, and very little more - I understand that can be difficult but the biggest mistake I used to make was dithering over which lens to use etc and I would end up with a less than satisfactory shot.
Now I take my 100-400L (everywhere), and my wide angle zoom, plus a flash and a 'pod' beanbag. Enought o leave space in a lowepro nova 4 and be light enough to lug around over a long period of time.
It really depends on your photography style, I changed mine to cut doen on equipment weight

Gear: 40D, 12-24mm AT-X Pro, 17-85mm, Sigma 150mm Macro Sigma 100-300 F4, 550EX, other stuff that probably helps me on my way.
RichardtheSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #5
Swat2

On a smaller scale, I had the same problem with my G2, with 420ex, Tele, batteries, cards, etc, but the real problem was all those dam wires!! Recharger, TV connector, etc... I was always guessing wrong on waht to leave home. And then a new S50 was just the last straw!

So I got a LowePro Orion Trekker Backpack. For me it is perfect!! Has a nice carrying handle as well. All the nice little compartments in the bottom for the neat cameras, lenses, etc, and a BIG compartment at the top for all the random wires and other crap. (tabletop tripod!)

Worth a look............Don
Swat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #6
Vegas Poboy

I have just recently sorted out the same problem as you and my solution was to have more than one bag.
My Ftb setup stays packed away in a Lowepro Trekker the big one, it only comes out for shoots that I have time to baby sit with or homework plus it has enough room to add more when traveling by car.
Second I have a Tamrac Velocity 7 I use for light tourist travel it works great for 2 lens & a flash.
For everyday, ot sure what I may run into I use a Domke original f-2 it's avery good multipurpose bag. This was an upgrade from Tamrac 603 I out grew it in 3 months. I carry the 10D and the Elan II as backup.
Overall working with local instructors it is hard to have one do it all bag. The more toys the more room you need & it gets heavy.

I keep all my equipment with me when I travel that way if something bad happens it's own me.

Have fun
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #7
toddb

I just got this back back from tamrac (purchased through B&H)

Digital Backpack

I like it allot and is pretty roomy. I like it because it has lots of integrated places to organize your stuff. It has a place specific for you laptop as well.
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #8
PacAce

Default Re: Re: How to carry it all?

Quote:
toddb wrote:
I just got this back back from tamrac (purchased through B&H)

Digital Backpack

I like it allot and is pretty roomy. I like it because it has lots of integrated places to organize your stuff. It has a place specific for you laptop as well.
I once contemplated getting that exact same bag but I was a little concerned about the overall depth of the backpack getting too thick with the laptop compartment added in. How do you find this backpack in terms of overall size?

I have the non-laptop carrying version of it, the 5274. In it I can carry my 10D with the battery grip and the 100-400L attached, the 420Ex flash, the Sigma 17-35, and the Canon 28-135 along with the filters, CF cards, remote release, etc. in the zippered pouch in the main compartment and an assortment of other accessories, such as battery charger, cleaning kit, etc., in the outside pouch. Right now, it's just perfect since everything fits in one bag. Hope I don't ruin things by, heaven forbid, going out and getting another lens or two!
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #9
toddb

It's pretty thick, it kind of surprised me when I first got it. I really wanted the extra spot for a laptop because I didn't want to have to carry a second bag just for that. The camera compartment is very deep, much deeper then I expected it to be. I had so much extra room with the gear I had, I also put my video camera and accessories in with my D10. I even carry my battery charger for my rechargeable batteries for the 550 flash.

I'll be taking it on a hiking trip in a couple weeks, I'll see how it pans out there, but on several shorter trips it's been great. Very well made.

I really don't want to take more anywhere I go then what this bag will carry, but I'm just an enthusiast and not a professional by any means.
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #10
PacAce

Default Re: Re: How to carry it all?

Quote:
toddb wrote:
It's pretty thick, it kind of surprised me when I first got it. I really wanted the extra spot for a laptop because I didn't want to have to carry a second bag just for that. The camera compartment is very deep, much deeper then I expected it to be. I had so much extra room with the gear I had, I also put my video camera and accessories in with my D10. I even carry my battery charger for my rechargeable batteries for the 550 flash.

I'll be taking it on a hiking trip in a couple weeks, I'll see how it pans out there, but on several shorter trips it's been great. Very well made.

I really don't want to take more anywhere I go then what this bag will carry, but I'm just an enthusiast and not a professional by any means.
toddb,

When you DO get your backpack fully loaded with your laptop, 10D and accessories and the camcorder and accessories, don't forget to pack some extra lead shots and tie them to your front to counter balance the backpack. Otherwise you'll fall over backwards and never be able to get up again!
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #11
robertwgross
Cream of the Crop

When I head out to shoot, normally I load my car trunk with several items. The big one is the LowePro backpack. The second one is a LowePro shoulder bag. Then there will be a couple of tripods in cases. One Canon film camera and one Canon digital camera will be hidden in there someplace. Then I take a small cooler for the film and the various battery recharging systems for the digital camera.

If I am going to shoot inside a building, like for a wedding, then everything gets carried inside and parked. But more typically, I am heading out on a nature trail, and I can't carry everything. If it is an overnight backpacking trip, then 15-20 pounds of the above items get carried. If it just a shorter day trip, then more or less camera gear is carried, and I can choose among the bags and cases. If it is a winter overnight trip, then it gets a bit complicated. I will get the shoulder bag packed with one camera and it packs along with all of the other overnight gear before I step on my skis.

---Bob Gross---
robertwgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of September 2003 (Sun)   #12
deztoys

I also have a Lowepro pack. My wife and I each carry a Mini Trekker. So far in mine I carry:

10D with BGED
35-350 L
28-70 L
20-35 USM
550EX
5 Batteries
Monopod
AC/DC charger
CF card wallet with 4 extra cards
assorted cables for USB, TV projection etc
Remote release/timer
flash diffuser
and a couple misc little things..

Her's is pretty much the same but with the 70-200 2.8L instead of the 35-350.

We used shoulder bags for a bit, but just got too worn out hauling that stuff around. Also with this pack there is a good tripod/monopod attachment point.

I think there is probably enough room, that I could squeeze a smaller additional lens in if needed (short time only).

Scott
deztoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of September 2003 (Mon)   #13
toddb

Default Re: Re: Re: How to carry it all?

Quote:
toddb,

When you DO get your backpack fully loaded with your laptop, 10D and accessories and the camcorder and accessories, don't forget to pack some extra lead shots and tie them to your front to counter balance the backpack. Otherwise you'll fall over backwards and never be able to get up again!

LOL, I've been in training with this pack, 35+ pounds. After training with this for a while, the Tamrac backpack seems pretty light.

Old 8th of September 2003 (Mon)   #14
BearSummer

Hi belmondo,

you could do a lot worse than looking at lowepro bags, both my wife and I use them and they are excellent. My main bag is a lowepro trekker AW which carries most of my gear (not the 65mpe, or flash), however if we are doing a small shoot or just taking it easy then I have a light pack which is the lowepro mini trekker (1Ds, 14, 15, 16-35, 24-70, 50, 70-200, 2*550ex, seconic 608 lightmeter). I started of using a shoulder bag, but this became painful if I wanted any lens flexibility. I also use a benbo Mk2 and an acratech head but that gets slung over the shoulder as it makes the big bag to heavy to put on easily.

Have a look at www.lowepro.com for more details on their products

Best regards

BearSummer

Gear List.
BearSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of September 2003 (Mon)   #15
PacAce

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: How to carry it all?

Quote:
toddb wrote:
Quote:
toddb,

LOL, I've been in training with this pack, 35+ pounds. After training with this for a while, the Tamrac backpack seems pretty light.
toddb, that was a great idea using a training backpack which automatically increases the training weight over time (to increase your strength). The great thing about this one is that it's very cute and I'm sure a LOT of fun to play when it's not on your back.