FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 07 Sep 2003 (Sunday) 12:35   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been accumulating gear at a frightening pace, and I really haven't figured out a good way to carry it all conveniently.

Life was simple when all I had was the 10D body and the 28-135 zoom. My garden-variety camera bag served very adequately. Then, I started picking up more and more lenses and accessories, and suddenly I now have in addition to the original camera bag, two Halliburton cases, a tripod, and another canvas bag.

I'd be interested in hearing how some of you---particularly those who also have a lot of equipment---handle it all when you leave the house. I'm fortunate in one respect: I have a pickup truck, so I have no concerns about getting everything from Point A to Point B, but it's pretty overwhelming once I get to my destination.

Also, do you let bellmen handle your equipment in hotels? I don't, and this greatly complicates the process of checking in at hotels.

This is a problem entirely of my own making, but I know some of you must have come up with elegant solutions. Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.

Post #1, Sep 07, 2003 12:35:06

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Belmondo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Incidentally, the Pentaxes stay home. They're just decoration at this point.

Post #2, Sep 07, 2003 13:00:14

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
Joined Apr 2003
40,787 posts
Providence RI
[MORE/SHARE]

The gear on your list looks to be about the same "weight" that I have.

10D,. 17-40mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50-500mm Sigma,. 28-300mm Sigma,. 50mm f/1.8, batery grip,. batteries charger X-drive,. filters etc....

...this all fits into one big black bag ($89.00 ritz quantaray)
BUT it remains in my trunk when I'm out shooting,. I can't possibly hike with this. So I am thinking very seriously about one of these backpacks. I won't get one to house all the gear,. (the big black bag will continue to that) but it wil give me an "excursion bag" for the hikes. So if I am out looking for herons with the 500mm wish I had the 17mm for a setting sun landscape,. I will be good to go.

Sorry none of this is an answer for you,. more of an "Yeah,. me too, how do they do it?"

Post #3, Sep 07, 2003 13:21:55

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
My POTN Share Threads
Jake Hegnauer Photographyexternal link

RichardtheSane
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
3,011 posts
Nottingham UK
[MORE/SHARE]

My most elegant solution is don't carry all your equipment everywhere.
I always take what I need, and very little more - I understand that can be difficult but the biggest mistake I used to make was dithering over which lens to use etc and I would end up with a less than satisfactory shot.
Now I take my 100-400L (everywhere), and my wide angle zoom, plus a flash and a 'pod' beanbag. Enought o leave space in a lowepro nova 4 and be light enough to lug around over a long period of time.
It really depends on your photography style, I changed mine to cut doen on equipment weight :)

Post #4, Sep 07, 2003 13:24:02

If in doubt, I shut up...

Gear: 40D, 12-24mm AT-X Pro, 17-85mm, Sigma 150mm Macro Sigma 100-300 F4, 550EX, other stuff that probably helps me on my way.

Swat2
Joined May 2002
46 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

On a smaller scale, I had the same problem with my G2, with 420ex, Tele, batteries, cards, etc, but the real problem was all those dam wires!! Recharger, TV connector, etc... I was always guessing wrong on waht to leave home. And then a new S50 was just the last straw!

So I got a LowePro Orion Trekker Backpack. For me it is perfect!! Has a nice carrying handle as well. All the nice little compartments in the bottom for the neat cameras, lenses, etc, and a BIG compartment at the top for all the random wires and other crap. (tabletop tripod!)

Worth a look............Don

Post #5, Sep 07, 2003 16:06:21

sponsored links
Vegas ­ Poboy
Joined Aug 2003
950 posts
Las Vegas, NV
[MORE/SHARE]

I have just recently sorted out the same problem as you and my solution was to have more than one bag.
My Ftb setup stays packed away in a Lowepro Trekker the big one, it only comes out for shoots that I have time to baby sit with or homework plus it has enough room to add more when traveling by car.
Second I have a Tamrac Velocity 7 I use for light tourist travel it works great for 2 lens & a flash.
For everyday, ot sure what I may run into I use a Domke original f-2 it's avery good multipurpose bag. This was an upgrade from Tamrac 603 I out grew it in 3 months. I carry the 10D and the Elan II as backup.
Overall working with local instructors it is hard to have one do it all bag. The more toys the more room you need & it gets heavy.

I keep all my equipment with me when I travel that way if something bad happens it's own me.

Have fun

Post #6, Sep 07, 2003 16:39:52

$$$ in Canon Gear & Lighting Equipment

toddb
Joined Jul 2003
792 posts
Seattle Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

I just got this back back from tamrac (purchased through B&H)

Digital Backpackexternal link

I like it allot and is pretty roomy. I like it because it has lots of integrated places to organize your stuff. It has a place specific for you laptop as well.

Post #7, Sep 07, 2003 16:53:54

10D, EF17-40L, EF50F1.4, EF28-135IS, 550EX [AlienBees 2xB800 and 1xB400 with large softbox and reversible umbrella] Sekonic L-358

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

toddb wrote:
I just got this back back from tamrac (purchased through B&H)

Digital Backpackexternal link

I like it allot and is pretty roomy. I like it because it has lots of integrated places to organize your stuff. It has a place specific for you laptop as well.

I once contemplated getting that exact same bag but I was a little concerned about the overall depth of the backpack getting too thick with the laptop compartment added in. How do you find this backpack in terms of overall size?

I have the non-laptop carrying version of it, the 5274. In it I can carry my 10D with the battery grip and the 100-400L attached, the 420Ex flash, the Sigma 17-35, and the Canon 28-135 along with the filters, CF cards, remote release, etc. in the zippered pouch in the main compartment and an assortment of other accessories, such as battery charger, cleaning kit, etc., in the outside pouch. Right now, it's just perfect since everything fits in one bag. Hope I don't ruin things by, heaven forbid, going out and getting another lens or two! :)

Post #8, Sep 07, 2003 17:33:27

...Leo

toddb
Joined Jul 2003
792 posts
Seattle Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

It's pretty thick, it kind of surprised me when I first got it. I really wanted the extra spot for a laptop because I didn't want to have to carry a second bag just for that. The camera compartment is very deep, much deeper then I expected it to be. I had so much extra room with the gear I had, I also put my video camera and accessories in with my D10. I even carry my battery charger for my rechargeable batteries for the 550 flash.

I'll be taking it on a hiking trip in a couple weeks, I'll see how it pans out there, but on several shorter trips it's been great. Very well made.

I really don't want to take more anywhere I go then what this bag will carry, but I'm just an enthusiast and not a professional by any means.

Post #9, Sep 07, 2003 18:03:54

10D, EF17-40L, EF50F1.4, EF28-135IS, 550EX [AlienBees 2xB800 and 1xB400 with large softbox and reversible umbrella] Sekonic L-358

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

toddb wrote:
It's pretty thick, it kind of surprised me when I first got it. I really wanted the extra spot for a laptop because I didn't want to have to carry a second bag just for that. The camera compartment is very deep, much deeper then I expected it to be. I had so much extra room with the gear I had, I also put my video camera and accessories in with my D10. I even carry my battery charger for my rechargeable batteries for the 550 flash.

I'll be taking it on a hiking trip in a couple weeks, I'll see how it pans out there, but on several shorter trips it's been great. Very well made.

I really don't want to take more anywhere I go then what this bag will carry, but I'm just an enthusiast and not a professional by any means.

toddb,

When you DO get your backpack fully loaded with your laptop, 10D and accessories and the camcorder and accessories, don't forget to pack some extra lead shots and tie them to your front to counter balance the backpack. Otherwise you'll fall over backwards and never be able to get up again! :D

Post #10, Sep 07, 2003 21:25:07

...Leo

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

When I head out to shoot, normally I load my car trunk with several items. The big one is the LowePro backpack. The second one is a LowePro shoulder bag. Then there will be a couple of tripods in cases. One Canon film camera and one Canon digital camera will be hidden in there someplace. Then I take a small cooler for the film and the various battery recharging systems for the digital camera.

If I am going to shoot inside a building, like for a wedding, then everything gets carried inside and parked. But more typically, I am heading out on a nature trail, and I can't carry everything. If it is an overnight backpacking trip, then 15-20 pounds of the above items get carried. If it just a shorter day trip, then more or less camera gear is carried, and I can choose among the bags and cases. If it is a winter overnight trip, then it gets a bit complicated. I will get the shoulder bag packed with one camera and it packs along with all of the other overnight gear before I step on my skis.

---Bob Gross---

Post #11, Sep 07, 2003 22:17:41

sponsored links
deztoys
Joined Mar 2003
102 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I also have a Lowepro pack. My wife and I each carry a Mini Trekker. So far in mine I carry:

10D with BGED
35-350 L
28-70 L
20-35 USM
550EX
5 Batteries
Monopod
AC/DC charger
CF card wallet with 4 extra cards
assorted cables for USB, TV projection etc
Remote release/timer
flash diffuser
and a couple misc little things..

Her's is pretty much the same but with the 70-200 2.8L instead of the 35-350.

We used shoulder bags for a bit, but just got too worn out hauling that stuff around. Also with this pack there is a good tripod/monopod attachment point.

I think there is probably enough room, that I could squeeze a smaller additional lens in if needed (short time only).

Scott

Post #12, Sep 07, 2003 23:21:06

toddb
Joined Jul 2003
792 posts
Seattle Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

toddb,

When you DO get your backpack fully loaded with your laptop, 10D and accessories and the camcorder and accessories, don't forget to pack some extra lead shots and tie them to your front to counter balance the backpack. Otherwise you'll fall over backwards and never be able to get up again! :D

LOL, I've been in training with this pack, 35+ pounds. After training with this for a while, the Tamrac backpack seems pretty light.

[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Post #13, Sep 08, 2003 00:13:14

BearSummer
Joined Jul 2003
883 posts
South East UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi belmondo,

you could do a lot worse than looking at lowepro bags, both my wife and I use them and they are excellent. My main bag is a lowepro trekker AW which carries most of my gear (not the 65mpe, or flash), however if we are doing a small shoot or just taking it easy then I have a light pack which is the lowepro mini trekker (1Ds, 14, 15, 16-35, 24-70, 50, 70-200, 2*550ex, seconic 608 lightmeter). I started of using a shoulder bag, but this became painful if I wanted any lens flexibility. I also use a benbo Mk2 and an acratech head but that gets slung over the shoulder as it makes the big bag to heavy to put on easily.

Have a look at www.lowepro.comexternal link for more details on their products

Best regards

BearSummer

Post #14, Sep 08, 2003 08:46:12

Moderation is for people that can't handle excess.

Gear List.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

toddb wrote:
toddb,

LOL, I've been in training with this pack, 35+ pounds. After training with this for a while, the Tamrac backpack seems pretty light.

toddb, that was a great idea using a training backpack which automatically increases the training weight over time (to increase your strength). The great thing about this one is that it's very cute and I'm sure a LOT of fun to play when it's not on your back. :D

Post #15, Sep 08, 2003 11:34:24

...Leo

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,520 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to carry it all?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES