Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Presentation
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of January 2002 (Sun)   #1
dodkin

Default D30 Gallery online

If you'd be good enough to pop over and take a peek, I'd be most interested in your feedback.

Chris.
dodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of January 2002 (Tue)   #2
clkgtr37

Default Re: D30 Gallery online

Chris, I love your sight, and was wondering where you saw some of those cars (ie the Zackspeed Porsche GT1 and the Mercedes CLK-LM)?
clkgtr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of January 2002 (Tue)   #3
dodkin

GT racing, Donnington, UK.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of January 2002 (Tue)   #4
Mark Zarn

Cars? What cars? I never made it past "People Two"!

Seriously, for a camera with "poor autofocus" you've managed to take some mighty fine action photos.

Very nice site and images!

Mark
Mark Zarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of January 2002 (Tue)   #5
kd6lor

Nice pics. I saw the People 1 and people 2 directories, and thought, 'gosh maybe I know some of your friends." Crazy coincidence, I have met them all. It was some time ago when I was a teenager, oh, and yes, I was in the REM stage.

Seriously, I am interested in portraits, what is your favorite lens for the glam shots?

Paul
Old 9th of January 2002 (Wed)   #6
dodkin

Default Re: Re: D30 Gallery online

The D30 can handle full AI AF, if you set it up correctly.

Using the L lenses helps too!

I set the D30 to ISO400, select a single AF zone only, use AI focus, and track the target with the AF before taking the shot.

Works, even in low light, and with very fast moving objects.
Old 9th of January 2002 (Wed)   #7
dodkin

Paul,

The full length shots use the 28-70 F2.8L, the head shots use 70-200 F2.8L.

Both produce really excellent results.

Chris.

Quote:
kd6lor wrote:
Nice pics. I saw the People 1 and people 2 directories, and thought, 'gosh maybe I know some of your friends." Crazy coincidence, I have met them all. It was some time ago when I was a teenager, oh, and yes, I was in the REM stage.

Seriously, I am interested in portraits, what is your favorite lens for the glam shots?

Paul
Old 9th of January 2002 (Wed)   #8
Cecil Walker

Chris,

Beautiful photos. I'm very interested in motorsports photography and have really just started getting serious into it with the D30.

Your shots are awesome! Peak moments, real display of action and excitement, and the sense of power and speed really come across.

Well done!
Cecil
Cecil Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of January 2002 (Wed)   #9
Cecil Walker

Chris,

One question though, why do you only use one focus area? I've been using all three in AI Servo mode to help track the moving car no matter where it is in the frame.

For example, say you're standing facing a u-shaped turn and a car comes into view from right to left at the top of the turn. I try to compose with leading space in front of the car, which means the car is over the right focus sensor. As it goes through the turn, it moves to the center and eventually to the left sensor as I try to place leading space in front of it to the right.

I have been doing this assuming that it helps the autofocus in AI Servo mode (vs. a single focus selection). Have you found this to not be true or maybe untested?

Very interested in your insight!
Cecil
Cecil Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of January 2002 (Thu)   #10
dodkin

Cecil,

When shooting such a target I still use a single sensor, as this will speed the AI AF.

If I'm shooting a car coming from the right, leaving space to the left, I'll pre select the right hand sensor and use that to focus.

It just takes a little thought and planning when you position yourself for a shot.

Quote:
Cecil Walker wrote:
Chris,

One question though, why do you only use one focus area? I've been using all three in AI Servo mode to help track the moving car no matter where it is in the frame.

For example, say you're standing facing a u-shaped turn and a car comes into view from right to left at the top of the turn. I try to compose with leading space in front of the car, which means the car is over the right focus sensor. As it goes through the turn, it moves to the center and eventually to the left sensor as I try to place leading space in front of it to the right.

I have been doing this assuming that it helps the autofocus in AI Servo mode (vs. a single focus selection). Have you found this to not be true or maybe untested?

Very interested in your insight!
Cecil