D30 Gallery online

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 06 Jan 2002 (Sunday) 03:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dodkin
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jan 2002
10 posts
CA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you'd be good enough to pop over and take a peek, I'd be most interested in your feedback.

Chris.

Post #1, Jan 06, 2002 03:56:46

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
clkgtr37
Joined Dec 2001
183 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Chris, I love your sight, and was wondering where you saw some of those cars (ie the Zackspeed Porsche GT1 and the Mercedes CLK-LM)?

Post #2, Jan 08, 2002 13:35:07

dodkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jan 2002
10 posts
CA
[MORE/SHARE]

GT racing, Donnington, UK.

Post #3, Jan 08, 2002 14:20:03

Mark ­ Zarn
Joined Apr 2001
23 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Cars? What cars? I never made it past "People Two"! :p

Seriously, for a camera with "poor autofocus" you've managed to take some mighty fine action photos.

Very nice site and images!

Mark

Post #4, Jan 08, 2002 21:56:22

kd6lor
Joined Sep 2001
290 posts
Southern California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice pics. I saw the People 1 and people 2 directories, and thought, 'gosh maybe I know some of your friends." Crazy coincidence, I have met them all. It was some time ago when I was a teenager, oh, and yes, I was in the REM stage.

Seriously, I am interested in portraits, what is your favorite lens for the glam shots?

Paul

Post #5, Jan 08, 2002 23:35:01

Paul Jaruszewski
www.melor.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
dodkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jan 2002
10 posts
CA
[MORE/SHARE]

The D30 can handle full AI AF, if you set it up correctly.

Using the L lenses helps too!

I set the D30 to ISO400, select a single AF zone only, use AI focus, and track the target with the AF before taking the shot.

Works, even in low light, and with very fast moving objects.

Post #6, Jan 09, 2002 02:05:08

dodkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jan 2002
10 posts
CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Paul,

The full length shots use the 28-70 F2.8L, the head shots use 70-200 F2.8L.

Both produce really excellent results.

Chris.

kd6lor wrote:
Nice pics. I saw the People 1 and people 2 directories, and thought, 'gosh maybe I know some of your friends." Crazy coincidence, I have met them all. It was some time ago when I was a teenager, oh, and yes, I was in the REM stage.

Seriously, I am interested in portraits, what is your favorite lens for the glam shots?

Paul

Post #7, Jan 09, 2002 02:07:28

Cecil ­ Walker
Joined Nov 2001
50 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Chris,

Beautiful photos. I'm very interested in motorsports photography and have really just started getting serious into it with the D30.

Your shots are awesome! Peak moments, real display of action and excitement, and the sense of power and speed really come across.

Well done!
Cecil

Post #8, Jan 09, 2002 09:33:20

Cecil ­ Walker
Joined Nov 2001
50 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Chris,

One question though, why do you only use one focus area? I've been using all three in AI Servo mode to help track the moving car no matter where it is in the frame.

For example, say you're standing facing a u-shaped turn and a car comes into view from right to left at the top of the turn. I try to compose with leading space in front of the car, which means the car is over the right focus sensor. As it goes through the turn, it moves to the center and eventually to the left sensor as I try to place leading space in front of it to the right.

I have been doing this assuming that it helps the autofocus in AI Servo mode (vs. a single focus selection). Have you found this to not be true or maybe untested?

Very interested in your insight!
Cecil

Post #9, Jan 09, 2002 17:27:57

dodkin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jan 2002
10 posts
CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Cecil,

When shooting such a target I still use a single sensor, as this will speed the AI AF.

If I'm shooting a car coming from the right, leaving space to the left, I'll pre select the right hand sensor and use that to focus.

It just takes a little thought and planning when you position yourself for a shot.

Cecil Walker wrote:
Chris,

One question though, why do you only use one focus area? I've been using all three in AI Servo mode to help track the moving car no matter where it is in the frame.

For example, say you're standing facing a u-shaped turn and a car comes into view from right to left at the top of the turn. I try to compose with leading space in front of the car, which means the car is over the right focus sensor. As it goes through the turn, it moves to the center and eventually to the left sensor as I try to place leading space in front of it to the right.

I have been doing this assuming that it helps the autofocus in AI Servo mode (vs. a single focus selection). Have you found this to not be true or maybe untested?

Very interested in your insight!
Cecil

Post #10, Jan 10, 2002 15:44:36

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
D30 Gallery online
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES