Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of May 2006 (Mon)   #1
greg20d
Typo King

Default Local Camera Clubs (your ideas please)

I ran into a guy yesterday at a local museum and he had an antique camera I was admirering and in our conversation he invited me to join his local club ...anyone belong to any and are they snobs or worth while .. I can stand to learn alot more ... I feel like between my accident in january and being new to digatal .. My brain isnt functioning at times ....my pictures show it ...lol
Old 8th of May 2006 (Mon)   #2
Steve Parr
should have taken his own advice

Default Re: Local Camera Clubs (your ideas please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg20d
I ran into a guy yesterday at a local museum and he had an antique camera I was admirering and in our conversation he invited me to join his local club ...anyone belong to any and are they snobs or worth while .. I can stand to learn alot more ... I feel like between my accident in january and being new to digatal .. My brain isnt functioning at times ....my pictures show it ...lol
I'm a member of a local club in which, for the most part, there are reasonable, sane, fun people. But I think you're going to end up running into the occasional snob regardless if you join one or not...
Steve Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2006 (Mon)   #3
girliegirl61904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Parr
I'm a member of a local club in which, for the most part, there are reasonable, sane, fun people. But I think you're going to end up running into the occasional snob regardless if you join one or not...
Can I ask what goes on in the club? Do you meet at locations? I know nothing about them. Is it open to anyone? My sister-in-law and I have been thinking of finding something like that in this area. Any info you could give me would be great. BTW, I am in the North County (San Marcos) if you can point me in the right direction to any thing my way. But I am not against going any where in the county. Thank you so much!
Canon 70-200mm F/4L~Canon 50mm F/1.4
Canon 580EX
girliegirl61904 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of May 2006 (Mon)   #4
lefturn99

I'm a fairly new member of my local camera club. The members run the gamut, from the "darkroom set" to people with P&S cameras. If the elite have snobbish opinions (and I suspect they do), they keep them to theirselves.

There is a program at each meeting. Tonight it was on light meters.

My main reason for joining is the field trips. I haven't been on one yet but it sounds like fun.
Old 8th of May 2006 (Mon)   #5
Carzee
Cream of the Crop

Before discovering POTN, before the web, I was buying/borrowing used camera magazines at boot/yard/garage sales mostly to look over the "reader galleries" and read the C & C. Its a great teacher, reverse engineering the mistakes etc. Its a lazy way to do a photography course. C & C would say "In hindsight, I wish I had used some more FEC" and I'd look up flash compensation. That sort of thing.

Now I go to the club for the photos and the C & C night once a month. The social aspect is well n truly there too, you pays your money and you takes your chances like everything. The C & C is mixed intensity depending on the sobriety of the judge(s). Usually the judges are local pro shooters of various types, lured into service with promises of a free beer and/or some ego-enhancement from the "We're Not Worthy" crowd.
Old 8th of May 2006 (Mon)   #6
Carzee
Cream of the Crop

I should add the C & C night at our club can last 2 hours non-stop, seeing maybe 200 prints.

Tomorrow night is the monthly night.

On the subject of ego-enhancement, last month the club pres selected one of my best black n white prints to date to be one of the club entries in a regional inter-club contest. I've been to one inter-club comp (6 clubs entered) and the quality is really up there. The judging at that level is less "warm and cuddly" to say the least.

This is the relevant black n white print thread:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=146816
Old 8th of May 2006 (Mon)   #7
greg20d
Typo King

thanks everyone for your input I was feeling like I was typing in white ....(invisable)
Old 9th of May 2006 (Tue)   #8
MrTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carzee
I should add the C & C night at our club can last 2 hours non-stop, seeing maybe 200 prints.

Tomorrow night is the monthly night.

On the subject of ego-enhancement, last month the club pres selected one of my best black n white prints to date to be one of the club entries in a regional inter-club contest. I've been to one inter-club comp (6 clubs entered) and the quality is really up there. The judging at that level is less "warm and cuddly" to say the least.

This is the relevant black n white print thread:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=146816
Carzee, where is your local club. I am near to you and am interested in camera clubs around the area.

Nathan
Canon Speedlite 580EX & 580EX II
Stroboframe (Camera Rotating)
MrTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2006 (Tue)   #9
Carzee
Cream of the Crop

Hi Nathan. Ours club's the best of course, [waves flag etc] . C & C is 3rd wednesday each month. When there is a fifth wednesday (4 times a year I think) they have socials or powerpoint shows on Photoshop.
Its expensive considering the petrol from Gosford. The annual fees are $5 and $8. The 5 is for the camera club and to be a member you have to be a financial member of the main club, the Belmont 16 footers club/pokie palace. You get a member discount on sckooners at the bar and buffet etc. Mostly Canon too.

http://www.belmont16footers.com.au/