Thread started 08 May 2006 (Monday) 18:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

greg20d
Typo King
Joined Sep 2005
1,972 posts
Stockton California
[MORE/SHARE]

I ran into a guy yesterday at a local museum and he had an antique camera I was admirering and in our conversation he invited me to join his local club ...anyone belong to any and are they snobs or worth while .. I can stand to learn alot more ... I feel like between my accident in january and being new to digatal .. My brain isnt functioning at times ....my pictures show it ...lol

Post #1, May 08, 2006 18:49:45

40D,10d,G10,70-200Lf4is,17-55is

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Steve ­ Parr
should have taken his own advice
Joined Feb 2005
6,593 posts
San Diego, CA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

greg20d wrote:
I ran into a guy yesterday at a local museum and he had an antique camera I was admirering and in our conversation he invited me to join his local club ...anyone belong to any and are they snobs or worth while .. I can stand to learn alot more ... I feel like between my accident in january and being new to digatal .. My brain isnt functioning at times ....my pictures show it ...lol

I'm a member of a local club in which, for the most part, there are reasonable, sane, fun people. But I think you're going to end up running into the occasional snob regardless if you join one or not...

Post #2, May 08, 2006 20:03:22

Steve

Canon Bodies, Canon Lenses, Sigma Lenses, Various "Stuff"...

OnStage Photographyexternal link

girliegirl61904
Joined Feb 2006
87 posts
San Diego, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Steve Parr wrote:
I'm a member of a local club in which, for the most part, there are reasonable, sane, fun people. But I think you're going to end up running into the occasional snob regardless if you join one or not...

Can I ask what goes on in the club? Do you meet at locations? I know nothing about them. Is it open to anyone? My sister-in-law and I have been thinking of finding something like that in this area. Any info you could give me would be great. BTW, I am in the North County (San Marcos) if you can point me in the right direction to any thing my way. But I am not against going any where in the county. Thank you so much! :)

Post #3, May 08, 2006 20:24:44 as a reply to Steve Parr's post 21 minutes earlier.

Marisa
40D
Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L~Canon 100mm F/2.8 Macro
Canon 70-200mm F/4L~Canon 50mm F/1.4
Canon 580EX

lefturn99
Joined Feb 2005
820 posts
Tulsa Oklahoma USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm a fairly new member of my local camera club. The members run the gamut, from the "darkroom set" to people with P&S cameras. If the elite have snobbish opinions (and I suspect they do), they keep them to theirselves.

There is a program at each meeting. Tonight it was on light meters.

My main reason for joining is the field trips. I haven't been on one yet but it sounds like fun.

Post #4, May 08, 2006 20:44:21

6D, 5D Mk III, 60D, EOS M, Gear List

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
6,522 posts
Canberra
[MORE/SHARE]

Before discovering POTN, before the web, I was buying/borrowing used camera magazines at boot/yard/garage sales mostly to look over the "reader galleries" and read the C & C. Its a great teacher, reverse engineering the mistakes etc. Its a lazy way to do a photography course. C & C would say "In hindsight, I wish I had used some more FEC" and I'd look up flash compensation. That sort of thing.

Now I go to the club for the photos and the C & C night once a month. The social aspect is well n truly there too, you pays your money and you takes your chances like everything. The C & C is mixed intensity depending on the sobriety of the judge(s). Usually the judges are local pro shooters of various types, lured into service with promises of a free beer and/or some ego-enhancement from the "We're Not Worthy" crowd.

Post #5, May 08, 2006 20:55:04

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Imagesexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Carzee
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
6,522 posts
Canberra
[MORE/SHARE]

I should add the C & C night at our club can last 2 hours non-stop, seeing maybe 200 prints.

Tomorrow night is the monthly night.

On the subject of ego-enhancement, last month the club pres selected one of my best black n white prints to date to be one of the club entries in a regional inter-club contest. I've been to one inter-club comp (6 clubs entered) and the quality is really up there. The judging at that level is less "warm and cuddly" to say the least.

This is the relevant black n white print thread:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=146816

Post #6, May 08, 2006 21:18:44

Having a bad day? Feeling down? Bantar Gebang Attitude Enhancement Imagesexternal link

greg20d
THREAD ­ STARTER
Typo King
Joined Sep 2005
1,972 posts
Stockton California
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks everyone for your input :) I was feeling like I was typing in white ....(invisable)

Post #7, May 08, 2006 22:07:03

40D,10d,G10,70-200Lf4is,17-55is

MrTED
Joined Mar 2006
144 posts
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Carzee wrote:
I should add the C & C night at our club can last 2 hours non-stop, seeing maybe 200 prints.

Tomorrow night is the monthly night.

On the subject of ego-enhancement, last month the club pres selected one of my best black n white prints to date to be one of the club entries in a regional inter-club contest. I've been to one inter-club comp (6 clubs entered) and the quality is really up there. The judging at that level is less "warm and cuddly" to say the least.

This is the relevant black n white print thread:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=146816

Carzee, where is your local club. I am near to you and am interested in camera clubs around the area.

Nathan

Post #8, May 09, 2006 02:55:15 as a reply to Carzee's post 5 hours earlier.

Canon EOS 30, 30D & 350D + Grip
Main Kit: 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 & 50mm f/1.4
EF Extender 2x II
Canon Speedlite 580EX & 580EX II
Stroboframe (Camera Rotating)

Carzee
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
6,522 posts
Canberra
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Nathan. Ours club's the best :) of course, [waves flag etc] . C & C is 3rd wednesday each month. When there is a fifth wednesday (4 times a year I think) they have socials or powerpoint shows on Photoshop.
Its expensive considering the petrol from Gosford. The annual fees are $5 and $8. The 5 is for the camera club and to be a member you have to be a financial member of the main club, the Belmont 16 footers club/pokie palace. You get a member discount on sckooners at the bar and buffet etc. Mostly Canon too.

http://www.belmont16fo​oters.com.au/external link

Post #9, May 09, 2006 03:19:12

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,005 views & 0 likes for this thread
Local Camera Clubs (your ideas please)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES