Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of July 2006 (Sun)   #31
twotimer

Default Re: 70-200F2.8L Sample images needed please.

Taken in Grand Bend Ontario this March.

Gerhard

twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of July 2006 (Sun)   #32
Treat me like a tourist

Thank you all for contributing. I am sold i think, lol. I was hesitant before i set this thread up, all i heard was how great the IS version is, it blocks out the great performance of the non IS that you have proven here, wait does that make sense? too many Pimms me thinks. Anyway i hope you keep posting, if it continues long enough i will be albe to post my shots when the lens arrives, wont be able to order it for another week though.
Anyone have any negative experience using a 2x converter with a 1.6 crop body?
Treat me like a tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2006 (Sun)   #33
grego
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treat me like a tourist
Thank you all for contributing. I am sold i think, lol. I was hesitant before i set this thread up, all i heard was how great the IS version is, it blocks out the great performance of the non IS that you have proven here, wait does that make sense? too many Pimms me thinks. Anyway i hope you keep posting, if it continues long enough i will be albe to post my shots when the lens arrives, wont be able to order it for another week though.
It'll work with 2x. But don't expect as crystal clear results. I'd consider another lens if the 2x tc will be on the lens more than 50% of the time.
Old 16th of July 2006 (Sun)   #34
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

The hummingbird shot with 1.4x and 2x TCs (which isn't reflected in the EXIF, BTW) was using AF at an effective aperture of f/8. I get AF with that combo on both the 5D and 20D. It seems the Tamron just passes through the Canon's info without adding its own.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2006 (Sun)   #35
Seefutlung
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treat me like a tourist
Photozone has performed resolution (sharpness) tests on both the IS and non-IS 70-200. The Non-IS, by testing, is sharper than the IS. So, IS is handy some-of-the-time, but I rather had the little extra sharpness all the time. And, since most of my shots/usage of the 70-200 are of action/sports ... IS doesn't do me much good. It all depends on what you shoot. IS is handy for those shots when a tripod isn't around or practical ... but a tripod beats IS for sharpness.
Seefutlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2006 (Sun)   #36
grego
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seefutlung
Photozone has performed resolution (sharpness) tests on both the IS and non-IS 70-200. The Non-IS, by testing, is sharper than the IS. So, IS is handy some-of-the-time, but I rather had the little extra sharpness all the time. And, since most of my shots/usage of the 70-200 are of action/sports ... IS doesn't do me much good. It all depends on what you shoot. IS is handy for those shots when a tripod isn't around or practical ... but a tripod beats IS for sharpness.
The sharpness is so minimal though. You'd likely see more lens to lens variation than anything. I doubt most people would even notice the difference with a test against the two without each being labeled. And since Canon's always tend to produce images that are on the soft side, you are going to end up sharpening anyway, whether it is the IS or non-IS.

And Jon made a good point. It does correct handshake blur, even when you are at higher shutter speeds.

For you it works, for other people IS works. Only the person who knows what they are shooting will know which is better. The sharpness issue is not relevant compared to the weight, cost, things you shoot elements.

Obviously, buy what you can afford without any financial problems occuring from your buy.

Last edited by grego : 17th of July 2006 (Mon) at 09:53.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of July 2006 (Mon)   #37
lmelendez

All of them with a 20D and 70-200 f2.8L (non-IS)

Nature:
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/nature/IMG_3179-med.jpg
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/nature/IMG_0126-med.jpg
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/nature/IMG_3178-med.jpg

People:
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/people/IMG_3360-med.jpg
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/people/IMG_0377-med.jpg

Great lens..... 2 out of 50 times I have wished to have IS.... but 2 out of 50 times doesn't justify the $500 in my particular case

Leo.
Old 17th of July 2006 (Mon)   #38
websurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seefutlung
Update - Photozone.de:

Maybe the difference between the IS ver. and non-IS is only very small cos Klaus on Photozone.de is going to make new reviews of the Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS and of the Canon EF 100-400 L because he think, that the copies, which he has tested, were substandard copies. New reviews will follow in a short time.
Link.
websurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of July 2006 (Mon)   #39
PalmBayFlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmelendez
All of them with a 20D and 70-200 f2.8L (non-IS)

Nature:
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/nature/IMG_3179-med.jpg
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/nature/IMG_0126-med.jpg
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/nature/IMG_3178-med.jpg

People:
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/people/IMG_3360-med.jpg
http://www.bluejaygallery.com/people/IMG_0377-med.jpg

Great lens..... 2 out of 50 times I have wished to have IS.... but 2 out of 50 times doesn't justify the $500 in my particular case

Leo.
Beautiful shots Leo...I especially loved the second one in the People category. Did you run any particular action with that? Love the pastel colors!
Old 17th of July 2006 (Mon)   #40
Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties........ Inventor Great POTN Photo Book

I just posted this in the "bokeh" thread...

Lord_Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of September 2006 (Thu)   #41
PAFC2004

The bokeh in the last image is amazing. No PP?
Old 28th of September 2006 (Thu)   #42
Tee Why
"Monkey's uncle"

Default Re: -= Archive EF 70-200mm F/2.8 NON-IS L Photos!Post your best

I'm not sure I get these, "show me your best shots from a XXXXX lens" threads.
Unless you have something to compare it to how are processed and sharpened images of much value?
Arguably the 70-200 f2.8L is one of the sharpest zoom that Canon makes and it's optics are not really questionable at this point as the lens has been out for so long.

I have this lens and think it's a great deal too, but I'm just not sure if these types of threads are really helpful.

Flame suit, ON!!!

Tee Why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of September 2006 (Thu)   #43
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Why View Post
Unless you have something to compare it to how are processed and sharpened images of much value?
Arguably the 70-200 f2.8L is one of the sharpest zoom that Canon makes and it's optics are not really questionable at this point as the lens has been out for so long.

I have this lens and think it's a great deal too, but I'm just not sure if these types of threads are really helpful.

Flame suit, ON!!!

I agree. Even "straight from RAW" crops are pointless...there are different RAW softwares and different settings that mean different things.
Old 28th of September 2006 (Thu)   #44
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Why View Post

Flame suit, ON!!!
Seen any of these threads for a Quantarray lens? How about a Canon 55-200? Perhaps people like to see what others shoot with the lens. Or perhaps characterisitics of the lens, like REALLY REALLY bad CA will show on a 800 pixel image, or how the bokeh looks. The kit lens is said to be a horrible lens but the thread for that has proved that it CAN be a useful lens that creates beautiful images.

In2Photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of September 2006 (Thu)   #45
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post
Seen any of these threads for a Quantarray lens? How about a Canon 55-200? Perhaps people like to see what others shoot with the lens. Or perhaps characterisitics of the lens, like REALLY REALLY bad CA will show on a 800 pixel image, or how the bokeh looks. The kit lens is said to be a horrible lens but the thread for that has proved that it CAN be a useful lens that creates beautiful images.
Yeah, at small sizes. Kinda backs up Tee's point.