Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 11 May 2006 (Thursday) 16:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rebel Xt Shutter button problem

Rebel ­ XT
78 posts
Joined May 2006
May 11, 2006 16:36 |  #1

I bought a Rebel XT last week and it has been great, but I started notice this problem a few days ago. In Av mode, sometimes when shutter button is half pressed, there is absolutely nothing happened, no red dots, no focusing sound, nothing. I tried to press the button all the way down when this happens, still nothing. The battery is still fully charged according to the icon. What could be wrong? The camera or I did something stupid?

sponsored links
Saralonde
Goldmember
1,019 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Pennsylvania
May 11, 2006 19:06 |  #2

Is it in auto or manual focus? No dots or focusing sound if it is in manual, only in auto.

lakiluno
slightly jealous
2,895 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Leeds, UK (formerly Edinburgh, Scotland)
May 11, 2006 19:11 |  #3

Is there enough light? Whats the aperture setting when you do this? Is the lens in manual?

Leo
20D|Tamron 17-50 2.8|Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro|50 1.8|Sigma EF-500 DG Super|
My Photo Galleryexternal link *New* | My Gear List | Backup Photos Easily with Robocopy

Rebel ­ XT
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined May 2006
May 11, 2006 19:28 |  #4

This happens when it’s Av (Aperture-Priority). This actually never happened in actual shooting, only happens when I play with the camera in a fairly dark room. When this happens, the aperture is usually at 3.5 (max) and shutter speed is < 20), lens in AF, flash off. When this happens I have to wait for a while and re try a few times before it functions normal again.

am_pitbull_terrier
Goldmember
1,383 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Pittsburgh, P.A.
May 11, 2006 19:29 as a reply to Saralonde's post |  #5

Saralonde wrote:
Is it in auto or manual focus? No dots or focusing sound if it is in manual, only in auto.

:confused: I use mine 99% of the time in Manual and I always have a red dot (set to center) and a beep with the focus.

Powershot G3
LA-DC58B Lens Adaptor
Spot Filter 58mm
Diffusion Filter 58mm
SkyLight Filter 58 mm
SuperWide Lens

Rebel XT (black), 18-55mm, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-300mm /Lens Hood, 50mm 1.8
Opteka Grip
Radio Slave Trigger
Stroboframe Flash Bracket
580EX Flash & Canon Off Shoe Cord 2
Lumiquest On-Camera Softbox
And of course a POTN camera strap :)

Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,478 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Sayre, Pennsylvania
May 11, 2006 19:51 |  #6

My 20D will not take a shot unless my lens has focuses, whether AF or MF. Doesn't matter how many times I press it. Oh, and I use CFN 4-1, so my AF is on the * button. Still, though...it won't fire a shot.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

vctr
182 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Long Island, NY
May 11, 2006 23:47 |  #7

Check the lense contacts, or just removing and reseating the lense on the camera body might help.

XSi 450D, Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 XR Di II, Tamron SP 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon 50mm F/1.8 II, 430EX Flash, Power Shot S95.
http://vtassone.myphot​oalbum.com/external link

denMAR
362 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
May 11, 2006 23:49 |  #8

Yeah my 350D won't let me take the picture unless it's in focus if AF is on. Until I changed CF4 to 1.

denMAR

djdino
410 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Los Angeles (Echo Park)
May 12, 2006 00:34 |  #9

Rebel XT,

This happened to me also while I was away in Catalina Island. I could't really figure it out how to fix the problem when it occurred. I freaked out and started to imagine that I would have to send it for repairs after owning for only a month. Please keep in mind that this occurred outside in daylight.

I turned my XT off a few times and swapped different lens and it eventually got back to normal. I still don't know what caused it to not give me the focus red dot(s). Perhaps I accidentally pressed the AE lock?

tiha
960 posts
Joined Feb 2005
44°49′14″N 20°27′44″E
May 12, 2006 08:40 as a reply to djdino's post |  #10

I sometimes have similar problem with 20D - no red dots, no focusing sound, nothing - but camera will take picture if shutter button is fully pressed :confused:. It normalizes if I press button a few times. It happens maybe once in 1000 pictures.

EOS 5D, EOS 30D, EOS 3, PowerShot G6
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, TS-E 90mm f/2.8, EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Speedlite 580EX, Speedlite 430EX, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Transmitter ST-E2
PBase: http://www.pbase.com/v​_tihomirexternal link

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005
3rd Rock from the Sun
May 12, 2006 11:48 |  #11

red dot will not show up when in AI Servo. Also make sure you didn't disable the "Beep" in the Menu settings.
I use CFn4-1 and AI Servo exclusively no beep no red dots. Only when I switch to One-Shot or AI Focus does it show up.

Vancouver Portrait Photographerexternal link
No toys. Just tools.external link :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?!external link

Tom ­ Digital
103 posts
Joined Feb 2006
May 12, 2006 22:11 as a reply to delhi's post |  #12

Several weeks ago I took photos for this Therpeutic Riding Program Benefit Dinner. I took photos the whole evening with no problem. The lady in chrage of the program requested that I take a photo of her and her mother. I pushed the shutter button. I didn't here it click. The light alongside of the lens was flashing. After a brief delay; the shutter clicked off!! I'm like what is going on with this thing!! My wife said maybe it's getting tired!! (I only took about 241 pictures that morning and about 214 that evening.) I changed battery holders in my BG-E3 Grip; with my back up "AA"s thinking it might of been the batteries. Still the same thing happened. So I used my old Point-Shoot Camera I have as a back up. After getting home the following Monday evening I played around with it. I changed the mode settings to each setting and clicked one photo in each setting. I still had the same problem. However; I noticed in my LCD screen that there was a count down from "10-0" then the shutter clicked. I quick looked in my manual and found that this was for the button on the back of the camera to allow yourself "10 sec" to get into the photo. I pushed the button to off; and everything works fine now!!! Some how I acidentially pushed that button.

sponsored links

4,628 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rebel Xt Shutter button problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.