Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of May 2006 (Mon)   #1
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Default Multi-Color Cartridge Printers - Which Color Runs Out Fastest?

I just got an HP 8250 printer, which has 6 different color cartridges. I've printed over 100 pictures and the yellow ran out first. What printers do you use, and what color cartridge runs out the fastest?
My Gear and Wishes

SuzyView is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of May 2006 (Mon)   #2
lostdoggy
King Duffus

Default Re: Multi-Color Cartridge Printers - Which Color Runs Out Fastest?

That is strange my yellow just ran out last night. I use the epson R220 and I print mostly CDs and DVDs.
lostdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2006 (Tue)   #3
jj1987

Post Re: Multi-Color Cartridge Printers - Which Color Runs Out Fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyView
I just got an HP 8250 printer, which has 6 different color cartridges. I've printed over 100 pictures and the yellow ran out first. What printers do you use, and what color cartridge runs out the fastest?
it's all going to depend on what you print. If you print lots of landscapes your blue is going to go quick due to the sky. If you do lost of automotive, other colors might go faster, and black and white photographers will obviously see the black go faster.

All depends. Remember that yellow is used to effect blue also, so that could be perhaps the reason why.
jj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of May 2006 (Tue)   #4
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

The 6 cartridges include 2 shades of blue. I thought it was interesting that yellow is used so much, but then again, I do many outdoor shots with green. So, it does make sense. This is the reason why the manufacturers went with different cartridges besides getting truer colors. People were tired of paying $50 for a color cartridge. I can get a kit with all 6 colors for $35 at Staples. Before, I'd pay $54 for an HP color cartridge. If I need 3 yellows for every 2 blues, that's actually cost effective for me to just buy 2 blue, 3 yellow. I was just curious if anyone else noticed which color they use the most.
My Gear and Wishes

Old 23rd of May 2006 (Tue)   #5
jj1987

at work we run out of blue the most, because our school colors are orange and blue, therefore the backgrounds for posters and images are nearly always blue, since orange is tacky.
jj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2006 (Tue)   #6
SWPhotoImaging
Goldmember

Whatever color you don't have a spare of, or that your local supplier is out of . . .
Old 23rd of May 2006 (Tue)   #7
JimmyA

yellow for me as well.

Jimmy
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #8
liza
User is banned from forums

Another vote for yellow here. Seems like that one is always the first to run out.
liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #9
cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity

yellow was bought today...

Full frame and some primes.
cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #10
Az2Africa
Goldmember

On my Canon i9900 it's Yellow, Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta.

My Gear Arizona's POTN Flickr Gallery
Az2Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #11
mbze430
Goldmember

depends what type of photo you print. If you print alot of flesh tone as I do. light magenta usually goes out first.

My Hub to my personal work (just click on the banners)
mbze430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #12
mickle

Yellow here too. Just about to run out.

Visit Mikes Scripts & Actions for:

Photoshop framing scripts for CS & CS2 & CS3

Framing Script for Photoshop 7 & CS
Dynamic Velvia script for CS & CS2
Framer Action Set for PS7
Framer Action Set for PS Elements

Mikes Framer thread
mickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #13
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Amazing. I was curious because yellow is always the one to run out for me. Maybe we should do a poll (don't know how to do that yet). Yes, always out of it at the store, as well.
My Gear and Wishes

Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #14
Zepher

yellow here as well on all my inkjets and color laserjet. It really sucks with my Epson 1280 since it uses a single multi color cart.

Canon 40D, EF 28-70L, 2x Canon XH-A1 HDV, Canon HV30 HDV
❶______________________________________
Zepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #15
DavidW
Goldmember

On my HP Color LaserJet 3800dtn, the yellow is usually the first of the colour toners to fail - but there's not much in it at the moment. I get through many more black toner cartridges than colour toner cartridges because of the amount of stuff printed in monochrome to save money. I retired my old monochrome laser; the 3800dtn is much faster (21ppm in monochrome or colour), has better paper handling (three trays) and a duplexer that runs at full engine speed.

The 3800dtn is a new machine which is still on its first set of toners - at the moment, black is 24% full (I have a spare waiting to go into the machine), cyan is 86% full, magenta is 87% full and yellow is 85% full. All the cartridges have a nominal 6000 page capacity.

My Canon i865 inkjet gets fed a mixed diet of jobs, and it depends exactly what I'm printing as to the usage. This machine gets used for CD-Rs, as well as the limited amount of photos I print myself. If I did more home printing, I'd go for a wider gamut machine with more colours, but the CMYKK (dye and pigment black) i865 does well enough for what I print at home.

Of the colours, usually yellow is first to go, followed by magenta and cyan, but if I've been doing small CD-R production runs, then it's heavily influenced by the colouring of the CD-R face.

I keep some cartridges around.

The colour laser emails me when the cartridges reach a predefined threshold, and I order cartridges based on that. I tend to be quicker in ordering a black than the colours, as this machine has the capability of continuing as a monochrome only printer if one of the colour toners is exhausted.

There's a full set of tanks for the i865 on the shelf - they have a pretty good shelf life.

I order in cartridges for my HP DeskJet 1220C according to the levels shown in the monitor application - to be honest I don't make much use of this printer now as the Canon i865 is superior to it in every way other than the HP is wide carriage (13 inches).

If I was more serious about home printing, I'd buy an archival grade wide carriage inkjet with CD-R capabilities, such as the new Pixma Pro 9500 when it launches (Canon printers have CD-R capabilities in Europe) or an equivalent Epson, and sell both the i865 and the DeskJet 1220C. However, I don't use either inkjet enough to justify the expenditure.

David
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote