Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #1
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Default Anyone Recommend a Good Monopod-Walking Stick?

My family is heading west to Yellowstone, Jackson Lake in July. I know I will be needing a good walking stick/monopod. I have the cheap Canon monopod, but that won't do it for me as I need something to help me hike all over and be useful with my camera gear. I am planning to do a lot of landscape photography and a tripod on the mountain won't do it. So, if anyone has one of these and can recommend it to me, I'd really appreciate it.
My Gear and Wishes

SuzyView is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #2
Ross McT.

Default Re: Anyone Recommend a Good Monopod-Walking Stick?

Even though I own a decent Manfroto monopod, I would head down to your local sporting store and find a pair of decent trekking poles.
Most of the decent poles have a removable top and can be used as monopods and take the abuse of hiking alot better.
The primary reason is in the locking mechanisms. Many mono pods tend to use a friction pad on one side of the pole to hold the length you set, while the trekking/hiking poles have stronger twist to lock that holds up to the abuse better as it grips around the whole pole, not just pressing a piece of rubber against it.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Ross McT. : 24th of May 2006 (Wed) at 11:33.
Ross McT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #3
sugarzebra
Cream of the Crop

Hi Suzie, I use the Manfrotto 680B monopod and its been very good, especially as its quite inexpensive. Its very sturdy & solid, however its also heavy, so as a walking stick that may be a disadvantage. The much lighter carbon fibre pods would be ideal, however cost three or four times the price.

sugarzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #4
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

I'd also say to head for HTO, REI or EMS and get a Leki or similar trekking pole with tripod screw. They work better as walking sticks than a monopod will; the joints are more solid in my experience. They also generally offer some shock-absorbency. Get a single, not a pair, as I haven't seen a pair yet that had a tripod mounting screw. The cap over the mounting screw's the other nice point about the trekking poles. A monopod with an open top can be uncomfortable.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #5
RikWriter
Goldmember

I bought a hiking stick/monopod at a general store at Bryce Canyon a couple years ago that works really great. Cost me like $40. I've thought several times about getting a regular monopod, but this has worked so well for me I just don't see the need.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
RikWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #6
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Thanks everyone. Going on line right now to find something. I only asked because nothing came up on the search for a monopod/walking stick and I think I read in some photography magazine that there is such a thing and they work well. Thanks. I am searching as we speak.
My Gear and Wishes

Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #7
Double Negative
*sniffles*

I have the Giottos MM 8990 monopod and really like it. Not too expensive, either.
Double Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #8
BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop

I have a Leki walking stick that doubles as a camera mount, and it is excellent as a walking stick, since it has a bit of flex and thus absorbs trail shock quite nicely. However, I think as a monopd it is mediocre, as it is not sturdy at all. I guess I have been spoiled by my Bogen monopod, with its beefy tubes. Suzy, there should be an REI store near you - when you handle one for real you'll know what I mean. But if your primary intention is to have one for trail support, they work great.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
BottomBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2006 (Wed)   #9
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Thanks Pio. I think I am going to the REI store at the Fair Oaks Mall before buying anything, as people here have suggested. I saw some on-line and will find out. I am willing to spend a little money because it means a lot to me to have something for support. My 5 boys (including my husband) are avid hikers, whereas, my idea of a vacation is a 4 star Marriott. I can tell you that I'll need all the support I can get! Also, for landscape, I know the steadying of a monopod would help.
My Gear and Wishes

Old 26th of May 2006 (Fri)   #10
Littlefield

Suzie I have this green one from Cabelas about 50.00 ,they probably have simliar at REI , this one is made well ,and I have hiked and took pics with it a lot.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ploe&noImage=0
Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2006 (Fri)   #11
Ewan McNeill

I have a leki walking pole with a monopod mount and never use it. All walking poles tend to be to short and wont extend to head hight which makes them difficult to use. I would go for a proper monopod.

I am thinking of the Gitzo Monotrek as a replacement.

http://www.gitzo.com/products/metric...ghtscreen.php3

Have not bought one yet so cant comment anymore.

Ewan
Ewan McNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2006 (Fri)   #12
Rumjungle
Goldmember

Post Re: Anyone Recommend a Good Monopod-Walking Stick?

Forget all these great suggestions, Suzie. Get yourself the Gitzo 1588 and have the baddest walking staff in all of Yellowstone! Sure it's bigger and heavier than any trekking stick. But not only will it handle your entire camera setup with ease, it's strong enough to support the weight of your entire family (should you need to pole-vault them to safety over the hot springs in case of any unforseen seismic activity).

Rumjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2006 (Fri)   #13
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

That is some monopod! It's a little too expensive for my taste, unfortunately. If I had that, I'd probably have to sell something.
My Gear and Wishes

Old 28th of May 2006 (Sun)   #14
BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.

Gitzo Monotrek

I have this monopod. It is about the best trekking pole I have see that is designed for camera use. However, it is not the most stable monopod out there, the mini ballhead is not real strong and the monopod has a fair bit of flex to it. It does work to help stabilize your shooting though, I use it lots for macro work and used it succesfully last weekend shooting some canoes running big rapids, using the 100-400, and it helped incredibly.
Old 1st of June 2006 (Thu)   #15
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

Thanks to everyone who has commented in this thread. I went to REI in Fairfax yesterday with my 18 year old to check out the walking sticks. REI had one that doubles as a monopod, granted it's not a great one, but it will do, and it cost $44 and it has shocks. So, thanks, especially to Jon for mentioning this store. It's got more stuff than I could ever need for hiking and camping. The walking stick/monopod is extremely light and so useful. I will need it on my hikes this summer.
My Gear and Wishes