Anyone Recommend a Good Monopod-Walking Stick?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 24 May 2006 (Wednesday) 08:55   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,754 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

My family is heading west to Yellowstone, Jackson Lake in July. I know I will be needing a good walking stick/monopod. I have the cheap Canon monopod, but that won't do it for me as I need something to help me hike all over and be useful with my camera gear. I am planning to do a lot of landscape photography and a tripod on the mountain won't do it. So, if anyone has one of these and can recommend it to me, I'd really appreciate it. :)

Post #1, May 24, 2006 08:55:05

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Ross ­ McT.
Joined Jun 2005
572 posts
Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Even though I own a decent Manfroto monopod, I would head down to your local sporting store and find a pair of decent trekking poles.
Most of the decent poles have a removable top and can be used as monopods and take the abuse of hiking alot better.
The primary reason is in the locking mechanisms. Many mono pods tend to use a friction pad on one side of the pole to hold the length you set, while the trekking/hiking poles have stronger twist to lock that holds up to the abuse better as it grips around the whole pole, not just pressing a piece of rubber against it.

Just my 2 cents...

Post #2, May 24, 2006 11:20:12

Ross McT.
Digital: 50D, Rebel XT+Grip, EF-S 10-22, 17-85, 18-55, EF 70-300IS,50mm f1.8,
Just trying to master what I have.

sugarzebra
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
9,254 posts
Oshawa, Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Suzie, I use the Manfrotto 680B monopod and its been very good, especially as its quite inexpensive. Its very sturdy & solid, however its also heavy, so as a walking stick that may be a disadvantage. The much lighter carbon fibre pods would be ideal, however cost three or four times the price.

Post #3, May 24, 2006 11:20:57

Scott

Website & Blogexternal link

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,177 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd also say to head for HTO, REI or EMS and get a Leki or similar trekking pole with tripod screw. They work better as walking sticks than a monopod will; the joints are more solid in my experience. They also generally offer some shock-absorbency. Get a single, not a pair, as I haven't seen a pair yet that had a tripod mounting screw. The cap over the mounting screw's the other nice point about the trekking poles. A monopod with an open top can be uncomfortable.

Post #4, May 24, 2006 12:34:37

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

RikWriter
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
3,545 posts
Lakeland, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

I bought a hiking stick/monopod at a general store at Bryce Canyon a couple years ago that works really great. Cost me like $40. I've thought several times about getting a regular monopod, but this has worked so well for me I just don't see the need.

Post #5, May 24, 2006 12:54:46

My gear: 7D, 70D, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Canon 100-400L IS, 500mm f4L IS, 1.4X II TC.
My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r

sponsored links
SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,754 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks everyone. Going on line right now to find something. I only asked because nothing came up on the search for a monopod/walking stick and I think I read in some photography magazine that there is such a thing and they work well. Thanks. I am searching as we speak. :)

Post #6, May 24, 2006 15:40:20

5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
Joined Mar 2006
10,516 posts
New York, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the Giottos MM 8990 monopod and really like it. Not too expensive, either.

Post #7, May 24, 2006 15:44:59

La Vida Leica!external linkLitPixel Galleriesexternal link -- 1v-HS/1d Mk IIn w/E-1 & Op/Tech straps
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2004
6,398 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a Leki walking stick that doubles as a camera mount, and it is excellent as a walking stick, since it has a bit of flex and thus absorbs trail shock quite nicely. However, I think as a monopd it is mediocre, as it is not sturdy at all. I guess I have been spoiled by my Bogen monopod, with its beefy tubes. Suzy, there should be an REI store near you - when you handle one for real you'll know what I mean. But if your primary intention is to have one for trail support, they work great.

Post #8, May 24, 2006 15:48:04

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eyeexternal link
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,754 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Pio. I think I am going to the REI store at the Fair Oaks Mall before buying anything, as people here have suggested. I saw some on-line and will find out. I am willing to spend a little money because it means a lot to me to have something for support. My 5 boys (including my husband) are avid hikers, whereas, my idea of a vacation is a 4 star Marriott. I can tell you that I'll need all the support I can get! :) Also, for landscape, I know the steadying of a monopod would help.

Post #9, May 24, 2006 18:53:50

My Gear and Wishes

Littlefield
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,087 posts
SC, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Suzie I have this green one from Cabelas about 50.00 ,they probably have simliar at REI , this one is made well ,and I have hiked and took pics with it a lot.
http://www.cabelas.com ...Ntt=hiking+ploe&noI​mage=0external link

Post #10, May 26, 2006 01:01:07

Ewan ­ McNeill
Mostly Lurking
Joined Nov 2005
16 posts
Edinburgh Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a leki walking pole with a monopod mount and never use it. All walking poles tend to be to short and wont extend to head hight which makes them difficult to use. I would go for a proper monopod.

I am thinking of the Gitzo Monotrek as a replacement.

http://www.gitzo.com ...monotrek/rightscree​n.php3external link

Have not bought one yet so cant comment anymore.

Ewan

Post #11, May 26, 2006 05:45:38 as a reply to Littlefield's post 4 hours earlier.

sponsored links
Rumjungle
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
3,083 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Forget all these great suggestions, Suzie. Get yourself the Gitzo 1588external link and have the baddest walking staff in all of Yellowstone! Sure it's bigger and heavier than any trekking stick. But not only will it handle your entire camera setup with ease, it's strong enough to support the weight of your entire family (should you need to pole-vault them to safety over the hot springs in case of any unforseen seismic activity).;)

Post #12, May 26, 2006 09:13:54 as a reply to Ewan McNeill's post 3 hours earlier.

Gear

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,754 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

That is some monopod! It's a little too expensive for my taste, unfortunately. If I had that, I'd probably have to sell something. :)

Post #13, May 26, 2006 16:01:29

My Gear and Wishes

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
Joined May 2005
29,915 posts
Calgary, AB
[MORE/SHARE]

Gitzo Monotrekexternal link

I have this monopod. It is about the best trekking pole I have see that is designed for camera use. However, it is not the most stable monopod out there, the mini ballhead is not real strong and the monopod has a fair bit of flex to it. It does work to help stabilize your shooting though, I use it lots for macro work and used it succesfully last weekend shooting some canoes running big rapids, using the 100-400, and it helped incredibly.

Post #14, May 28, 2006 10:09:50 as a reply to SuzyView's post 1 day earlier.

-JIM-

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,754 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks to everyone who has commented in this thread. I went to REI in Fairfax yesterday with my 18 year old to check out the walking sticks. REI had one that doubles as a monopod, granted it's not a great one, but it will do, and it cost $44 and it has shocks. So, thanks, especially to Jon for mentioning this store. It's got more stuff than I could ever need for hiking and camping. The walking stick/monopod is extremely light and so useful. I will need it on my hikes this summer.

Post #15, Jun 01, 2006 19:54:58

My Gear and Wishes

LIST NEARBY THREADS
22,987 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone Recommend a Good Monopod-Walking Stick?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES