Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Performing Arts
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of May 2006 (Sat)   #1
houghty

Default First few concert shots

Hello,

I thought I would share a few of my first concert shots. The first set are of James Blunt in concert in Sydney last month. The other shots were taken in Byron Bay a week later at a music festival.

They were all taken with my Canon 20D and 70-200 2.8 IS. They were all shot handheld, wide open at ISO1600 so that I could get the fastest shutter speed possible.

Its been the first opportunity for me to take pics like these in a live performance environment where I've actually been close enough to reasonably fill the frame.

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I'm going to another concert next month and am keen to get some reasonable shots if possible as they're one of my favourite bands.

I'll provide a few of my own thoughts on each photos.

James Blunt #1

1/200th sec. Could be sharper, and it could do with a little more room at the top, but I quite like his stance in this one. Minor post processing on colour balance. No cropping.

James Blunt #2

1/125th sec. Sharper than #1. May have worked better on portrait. Minor post processing on colour balance. No cropping.

James Blunt #3

1/25th sec. Taken with my 1.4x TC. The jpeg version of this one was a little blown on his hand and face, but I had the RAW image so was able to pull back some of the blown hightlights to some extent. Maybe should take more care to meter on the face next time in black background situations.

James Blunt #4

1/160th sec. Picked this as it was one of the sharper ones. Minor PP again, no cropping.

James Blunt #5

1/20th sec, with the 1.4x TC. This is of one of his band members. It's a little too soft for my liking, which is a shame since I really liked the photo otherwise.

Beth Orton #6

1/320th sec. I was able to get reasonably close here. Reasonably sharp, and I like the streaky background lighting in this one, but the side of her arm is blown. Same pitfall as in James Blunt #3 where I needed to perhaps be more careful with metering. No cropping or PP.

Hot House Flowers #7

1/500th sec. First I've seen of the Hot House Flowers, but I was able to get close to the front, so decided to practice shooting anyway. I like this one as it has all 3 guitarists in frame, concentrating intensely. Maybe a bit underexposed, and could be sharper. No cropping or PP.

Hot House Flowers #8

1/200th sec. Pleased with the sharpness here. I was practically front row at this point as it was towards the end of the set and people were starting to move on to the next acts. No cropping or PP.

That's it.

Regards,
Houghty.
houghty is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of May 2006 (Sat)   #2
Digitalwave

Default Re: First few concert shots

You did a very very good job on the exposures. I just think the compositions need a lot of work. They are very centered.
Digitalwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2006 (Sat)   #3
MagicallyDelicious
Goldmember

some great captures.

Canon 300D 18-55 Kit, Canon 35-80, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 500 DG Super,
Bits n Bobs

Your Mind Is Like A Parachute.....Only Works When Open.
MagicallyDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of May 2006 (Sat)   #4
Ballen Photo

Hello Houghty, WELCOME to the forum. These look like some very well exposed image's. Nice work.
-Bruce

Ballen Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2006 (Sat)   #5
Steve Parr
should have taken his own advice

Welcome to the Forum!

Real nice work.

The first four shots are very nice shots of the most annoying performer on the planet. His voice makes my fillings vibrate...
Steve Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2006 (Mon)   #6
houghty

Thank you for your feedback guys, much appreciated. Digitalwave - you have a great point here regarding the compositions. I have to admit that my technique for taking these shots was to activate the camera's central focusing point only, and then focus on the face area to ensure this was in focus. At this point I would generally just click the shutter - I don't recall reframing the composition too often as I admit to feeling a sense of urgency at this point.

I expect that I was too preoccupied with getting the shots as sharp as I could and waiting for good lighting that my compositional considerations lost priority here. Certainly feedback I will take on board for my second attempt, so thank you.

Regards,
Houghty.
Old 29th of May 2006 (Mon)   #7
Digitalwave

Its definately hard to take control of so many things at once. You did EXCELLENT for your first shoot! You should be proud of your self.
Digitalwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of May 2006 (Tue)   #8
DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?

Very, very good! I wouldn't be overly concerned about the centering ... the important thing is to get the important things into the image. It is nice to see a little variety although I would like to see a wide angle shot ... I keep saying this and if you do wide angle you will hear me asking for a head shot! Never satisfied. Also, Welcome to POTN.
DwightMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2006 (Fri)   #9
blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team

Some nice shots there. Who do you shoot for? (it looks like you had photo passes for these).

And who is the band you are shooting soon?
blackshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2006 (Fri)   #10
blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Parr
Welcome to the Forum!

Real nice work.

The first four shots are very nice shots of the most annoying performer on the planet. His voice makes my fillings vibrate...
Haha @ the most annoying performer on the planet.

I had the pleasure of attending The Darkness after party on Good Friday which was also the James Blunt after party. I was sitting on a couch with Blunt about 4am having a drink with him - nice guy and he laughed when I said something like "You're not a bad bloke but Christ your music sucks" he took it in very good humour.
Old 3rd of June 2006 (Sat)   #11
Claire
Ikea Wannabee

I went to the James Blunt concert in Stockholm earlier this year in March. Could have been really close by the stage as my friend and I were there early, but we both figured we were too "old" to spend a couple of hours standing up among screaming teenagers... So we ended up sitting far back instead and having a blast looking at the audience.hehe The concert was supposed to be at a smaller venue when I booked the tickets (he wasn't that famous yet), then it got sold out so they moved it to a bigger arena and that too was sold out. My work mate always take the mickey for me liking Blunt's music. LOL Gotta admit it though, I am tired of hearing it too by now since he's played all over the radio. I preferred it when he wasn't as known...

Oh, and how the heck did you manage to get a full 20D and 70-200mm into the concert

"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2006 (Fri)   #12
houghty

I don't shoot for anyone - I just like going to gigs every now and then so thought I'd take my camera along this time and practice getting some shots. No photo passes for any of these unfortunately - I'm just a regular punter.

For the James Blunt photos I just tried to get myself as close as possible but was still probably a good 15-20 metres off the front row. For the other photos I was able to get much closer, and that last shot at the music festival was actually taken from the front row as I wiggled myself through the crowd.

The band I am seeing soon is Coldplay (one of my favourites), and would love to get some nice shots of these, however I'm not getting my hopes up yet as I may not be able to get my camera into the venue. It's also possible I will be too far back to get any close-ups as it's a big venue and it will obviously be packed out.

Claire - I dont think you're ever too 'old' to hold your ground at the front of the stage particularly if it's a band you really want to see, although admittedly for the likes of James Blunt I do see your sense in not mixing with the screaming teenagers.

And as far as getting my 20D and 70-200mm into the Blunt concert, I literally just walked in with my camera backpack and door security did not seem to mind. I expect policies will vary from venue to venue and from artist to artist so maybe I just got lucky with this one.
Old 10th of June 2006 (Sat)   #13
Claire
Ikea Wannabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghty
Claire - I dont think you're ever too 'old' to hold your ground at the front of the stage particularly if it's a band you really want to see, although admittedly for the likes of James Blunt I do see your sense in not mixing with the screaming teenagers.

And as far as getting my 20D and 70-200mm into the Blunt concert, I literally just walked in with my camera backpack and door security did not seem to mind. I expect policies will vary from venue to venue and from artist to artist so maybe I just got lucky with this one.
Houghty,
Yeah, I'd rather not stand among a bunch of girls screaming their heads off... Actually, I might have if I'd been alone, but as I had my friend along and she's not really a Blunt fan as such, I didn't.

I know James doesn't mind people taking photos during his concerts and he does tell the venue, but I guess nobody knows for sure if they'll get stopped or not by the door. I didn't dare to bring my camera along for that reason.

"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of June 2006 (Sat)   #14
blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I know James doesn't mind people taking photos during his concerts and he does tell the venue, but I guess nobody knows for sure if they'll get stopped or not by the door. I didn't dare to bring my camera along for that reason.
I don't take my camera to shows unless I have a photo pass (which I normally do) unless it is for a small pub show.

Houghty, in Sydney you are likely to run into problems at any venue larger than the Annnandale if you try to take camera gear in. I very much doubt that you will get your camera into Coldplay and if you do I have a feeling you wioll be told to put it away very quickly or be taken out of the venue to cloak it.

Yesterday I was shooting the Come Together festival at Luna Park - lots of bands over three different stages and even though I had back stage access we were only allowed in the pit for the first 2 songs of most bands. I missed the 2 songs for one band and was taking some photos from in the crowd and even though security knew I had full credentials I was told to stop shooting from the crowd. I ended up going side/backstage and still got some OK shots of the band in question.
Old 1st of July 2006 (Sat)   #15
houghty

Well, I thought I would share some of my shots from the Coldplay concert that I went to last week at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, which is now my second proper attempt at concert photography.\\

Images moved to new thread.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=186944

Last edited by Belmondo : 1st of July 2006 (Sat) at 13:40.