FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 27 May 2006 (Saturday) 11:24   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Eoseni
Joined May 2006
781 posts
Northeastern USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd appreciate your ideas on what I really need to get to round off my meager list of equipment. I'm looking to begin photographing weddings.

I know one needs back up equipment, but I'd like to round off just the "essentials" first. Granted, each person's idea of essential varies, but those of you who are already wedding pros can help educate my decisions...

Here's what I have:
Bodies: 20D, Film body Elan 7E, (but I want to shoot only digital ideally.)
Canon G2 (4MP) (Speedlite capable)

Lenses: Tamron 24-135mm 3.5-5.6 (my main lens) On 20D it's 38-216mm!:cry:
and 100mm Macro 2.8

Lights: 420EX flash; A cheap but functional 3-strobe softbox kit with optical sensors. 250W/s I think.

Other: Carbon Fiber Tripod; a Monopod; 42" 5-in-1 reflectors

As most, I'm on a tight budget, so if you can, list in order of what you would buy first, second....

Right now, my own order is:
1. 580EX, with Off camera cord 2, and a diffuser like a Lumiquest (for two light combo with my 420EX
2. A light/flash meter Sekonic L-358
3. A wide angle lens. Recommend please...the 17-55L IS sounds like a dream but is now beyond my budget I suspect :cry:
4. A battery pack CP-E3 perhaps
5. A 50mm 1.4

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Post #1, May 27, 2006 11:24:44

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
JaertX
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
2,018 posts
Amarillo, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

really, a backup body IS essential.

Even if you get something used or a recently out-of-date model. Why not that, an inexpensive zoom and another flash?

Post #2, May 27, 2006 11:35:14

Jason - I use Canon and stuff

therosefairy
Joined Apr 2006
167 posts
So. California
[MORE/SHARE]

I definitely recommend a flash bracket for shooting weddings.

Post #3, May 27, 2006 14:27:07

liza
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
11,386 posts
Mayberry
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Get a Tamron 28-75, an extra flash, a bracket, and extra CF cards. I also recently picked up a 10D as a backup for next to nothing and prefer it in many ways to my 20D. It's slow but it produces wonderful images and is built like a tank.

Post #4, May 27, 2006 15:20:28

Elizabeth
Blog
http://www.emc2foto.bl​ogspot.com/external link

Eoseni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
781 posts
Northeastern USA
[MORE/SHARE]

therosefairy wrote:
I definitely recommend a flash bracket for shooting weddings.

Anyone happy using a Light Sphere without a bracket? That seems to be it's boast.

If I do buy a bracket, any I should avoid? Better, which would you recommend? Personally I prefer simplicity and smaller rigs.

Post #5, May 27, 2006 15:20:37 as a reply to therosefairy's post 53 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
Eoseni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
781 posts
Northeastern USA
[MORE/SHARE]

liza wrote:
Get a Tamron 28-75, an extra flash, a bracket, and extra CF cards. I also recently picked up a 10D as a backup for next to nothing and prefer it in many ways to my 20D. It's slow but it produces wonderful images and is built like a tank.

What about the 10D do you prefer? is the shutter loud like the 20D's? It's the one complaint I have with the 20D!

Anyone esle care to help me out with my equipment buying decisions??

Post #6, May 27, 2006 15:22:27 as a reply to liza's post 1 minute earlier.

liza
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
11,386 posts
Mayberry
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Yes, it's a constant 2.8, and it's very sharp. I really can't tell the difference in image quality between it and my 70-200 f/4L. The 10D is a 6.3 megapixel DSLR rather than 8.2. Maybe it's just me, but it appears to produce images with more accurate skin tones and wonderful, even color. I also use good glass, which is half the battle.

Post #7, May 27, 2006 15:34:19

Elizabeth
Blog

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

liza wrote:
Get a Tamron 28-75, an extra flash, a bracket, and extra CF cards.

I 2nd this, though if you're careful you might get away without the bracket.

Post #8, May 27, 2006 20:34:36 as a reply to liza's post 5 hours earlier.

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Eoseni
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
781 posts
Northeastern USA
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote:
I 2nd this, though if you're careful you might get away without the bracket.

Tim, I see you own the Pro-T bracket. What can you say about it? Would you buy it again? Or would you get another kind? which?

And also, you have the various diffusers: Omnibounce, LSII, 80-20 etc. Which one would you choose if you only had to choose one to do weddings? I want to get one that would "do-it-all." at least for now until I earn more....

I understand the LSII eliminates the need for a bracket. Is that true in your experience? Also, its shadows are the slightest among the other diffusers, right? If so, I'm thinking of getting the LSII to save money on a bracket.

Your thoughts and advise welcome, and thanks!

Post #9, May 27, 2006 20:47:25 as a reply to tim's post 12 minutes earlier.

liza
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
11,386 posts
Mayberry
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I forgot to add earlier, Tim Wee, that the 10D's shutter isn't loud like that of the 20D.

Post #10, May 27, 2006 22:53:54

Elizabeth
Blog

jamiewexler
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
2,004 posts
Grafton, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd almost be inclined to recommend the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (if your budget can't stretch for the Canon 17-55). Despite my somewhat negative experiences with Tamron, it seems to be at least as good at the 28-75, and gives you the wide end you're missing with a fast aperture you're missing. 17-50 on a crop body is (IMHO) about as ideal a FL as you can get for weddings. 28mm (44mm on 20D) is too tight for smaller rooms and crowded dance floors.

As for the backup digital body (and light meter), I'd bump those to lower on the list. I shot with a film backup body for my first 5 weddings. I never needed to use it, but it was there just in case - that's all a BU needs to be, just in case. A faster lens and better flash are top priorities. I'd also recommend a faster prime for the really low light scenarios (50 f1.8/f1.4, 85 f1.8 ).

Post #11, May 28, 2006 11:24:23

Massachusetts Wedding Photographerexternal link
My blogexternal link
my facebookexternal link
my gear

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I've had a 20D fail in the middle of a ceremony a couple of times, so I consider it essential to have a backup with lens, CF card, and battery out and set up to the correct settings for the situation. I don't use a backup body exactly, I have two bodies on me at all times, with different lenses so I can get different shots quickly and easily.

Post #12, May 28, 2006 19:58:52

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
894 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with wedding equipment
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES