extension cords?

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 01 Jun 2006 (Thursday) 15:36   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

LewisImaging
Joined Feb 2005
477 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i thought i read somewhere (unless i was dreaming again :rolleyes: ) not to use extension cords with strobes, but... if you have to then what amp should they be? (2 600w strobes)

Post #1, Jun 01, 2006 15:36:54

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Atomic79
Joined Oct 2005
214 posts
Santa Clarita, CA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I did a quick search on the web. I found this in an AlienBee FAQ:

"If you use an extension cord that is 25 feet or longer, use a 16-3 or larger gauge wire (3 #16 AWG wires) extension cord. Smaller numbers indicate a larger wire (go figure), so a 14-3 extension cord (3 #14 AWG wires) is larger than a 16-3 cord."

I didn't come across any statement positive or negitive regarding the use of extension cords, however since AlienBees does mention them I'd assume it was ok as far as they are concerned, but I'd check with the manufacturer of whatever brand you have.

Post #2, Jun 01, 2006 19:46:05

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen. Minor White

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,498 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I didn't know that, I bought some extension cords at a cheap place here and they work fine.

Post #3, Jun 01, 2006 21:39:28

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Inspired ­ Photography
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
2,096 posts
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

From an Electronic Engineer's perspective, i can't see any problem with it. Maybe use one per strobe, but that'd be it...

If you are using powerpacks and running at full power with hundreds of flashes an hour, then maybe you would start causing some heat issues, but i can't imaging it being a real problem otherwise.

Some of the big strobe (like an AB1600 or something) will be sucking some power on a full recycle, so maybe keep an eye on it, but yeah... if it doesn't blow your circuit breakers, and extension cable should be fine.

Rob

Post #4, Jun 01, 2006 22:17:29 as a reply to tim's post 38 minutes earlier.

Robert Bell - Inspired Photography (formerly "Inspired Graphix" [and "Shooter-Boy" a long time ago])
Inspired Photographyexternal link
email: info@inspiredphotograp​hy.net.auexternal link
external link

LewisImaging
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
477 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

yeah, these units are roughly the same as the bee 1600 (600 true w/s opposed to AB 640). tim, most of the time i couldn't imaging any cord being a problem except with the cheap tiny ones. make sure it's a "heavy duty" one. they often come in orange. i bought a red one that is 100ft, 14 gauge and 13 amps. it says that it can support circular saw, reciprocating saw, and a chain saw lol. i don't think i'll have any problems. i also bought a surge protector. most likely i'll be running both lights off this cord, but i usually never go over half power anyway. the next size up was 14 or 15 amps and ran generators and other larger objects, but that cord was around $45... thanks for the confirmation guys!

tim, does your cord get hot when you are using the flashes alot? make sure to keep an eye on it like shooter-boy suggested. we don't want any fires!!!!!

Post #5, Jun 02, 2006 10:01:06

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
655 views & 0 likes for this thread
extension cords?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES