FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 15 Jun 2006 (Thursday) 12:00   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dee1974
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2006
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi. I have a SD550 which got dropped into water by accident. I dried out the camera and it is working okay except for the following: whenever the flash is required to take a picture, the AF frame won't appear on the display and the camera will not take the picture. So, for the time being, I've had to turn the flash setting to OFF in order to take any pictures.

Any idea what the problem is, how I could fix it, the cost to fix it? Could the flash be fused?

Thanks

Post #1, Jun 15, 2006 12:00:01

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DavidW
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
3,165 posts
Bedfordshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Not what you want to hear - but water damage to electronics and the sort of relatively unprotected optics in a compact camera usually puts them beyond economic repair. It's worth checking if you've got any insurance cover - possibly via your household insurance.

Quite what is happening is very hard to guess at - it's possible that there's a power drop happening when the flash capacitor is trying to charge due to corrosion somewhere (battery contacts, perhaps).

If you ask a service centre to look at it, they'll probably charge you to say it's beyond economic repair. You could phone a service centre for their opinion, but I don't think it's going to be positive, sadly.

However, it could just be that there's not enough light for the camera to focus. I just checked with an Ixus 700 (SD500) here - and at distances of more than about six feet, the AF assist light doesn't throw sufficient illumination to focus.

If that's the problem, though, I found I could still take the picture (albeit that it was out of focus).

I'd try the camera with the flash on in daylight to eliminate the possibility of it being a low light issue.

David

Post #2, Jun 15, 2006 17:27:27

dee1974
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2006
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the reply. Not really what I wanted to hear. I've tried taking pictures in all types of lighting with the flash 'ON', but it still won't take pictures. It'll only take pictures when the flash is not necessary or is in the 'OFF' setting.

That was an expensive drop in the creek...

Post #3, Jun 15, 2006 21:42:24 as a reply to DavidW's post 4 hours earlier.

jptsr1
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
1,758 posts
Northern NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

I bought two of these cameras for myself and my father-in-law. I love the 550 but there are two parts that are extremely delicate in my opinion. One is the LCD and the other is the flash. If the camera experiences the least bit of trauma one or both of these is likely to break. Fortunately I buy all of my electronics at Costco so it isn’t a problem for me but we have been through a couple units each.

J.

Post #4, Sep 24, 2006 16:50:41

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

Medic85
I just quoted Forrest Gump!
Joined May 2006
2,018 posts
Charlotte, NC
[MORE/SHARE]

I suggest using the wrist strap that is supplied with the camera.

Post #5, Sep 25, 2006 19:25:44

sponsored links
jgparks
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2007
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm having the same exact problem... I did not drop it into any water, or anything like that... it simply stopped taking pictures when requiring the flash... only non-flash photography... any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Post #6, Sep 11, 2007 18:22:37

pixelmechanic
Joined Dec 2006
85 posts
somewhere in the middle of Kansas
[MORE/SHARE]

Me too, me too!! My daughter's SD550 will shoot without flash, but with the flash on, nothing happens. Bummer.

Post #7, Jan 17, 2008 22:18:00 as a reply to jgparks's post 4 months earlier.

Joel
Step away from the forum and go take some pictures!!
5DMkIII|7D|70-200 2.8L IS|24-105L IS|28-300 3.5-5.6L IS|Tamron 180 3.5 Macro|Sigma 10-20 3.5|580EXII|Sekonic L758|Quantum 5DR|G12|

angliabob
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2008
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I also have a flash problem.(All modes)
I bought the camera in April 2007.
I sent it to Canon to have it repaired.
They wanted $127.00 to repair an 8 month old camera.
I told them to send it back unrepaired, and they lost a Canon customer.

Post #8, Jan 19, 2008 14:39:22 as a reply to pixelmechanic's post 1 day earlier.

jptsr1
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
1,758 posts
Northern NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

wow! haven't seen this thread in a while. i believe that both the flash and lcd on the 550 are of sub par construction. thank goodness for Costco. if i had bout mine anyplace else my experience with the 550 might have turned me away from Canon as well.

J.

Post #9, Jan 19, 2008 14:49:38 as a reply to angliabob's post 10 minutes earlier.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

thaineseguy
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2008
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the same problem. My sister borrowed the camera and said that it stopped working all of a sudden without dropping it or splashing water on it.

I read somewhere that it could be the flash circuitry that's the problem so I bought one and replaced it but that didn't fix it. I'm still going to try to fix it when I get spare time and I'll let you guys know if I eventually get it to work.

One question I have is when you guys shake your camera (working or not working) do you hear something near the flash that sounds like a loose screw? The new one Canon sent me has that rattling sound as well so I wasn't sure if it's supposed to normally sound like that.

Post #10, Apr 18, 2008 00:41:55 as a reply to jptsr1's post 2 months earlier.

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,174 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The rattling is typically the orientation sensor.

Post #11, Apr 18, 2008 07:53:02

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
tombei
Joined Apr 2007
46 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I really loved my SD550. Unfortunately I dropped it - yes, the first time I EVER held it in my hand with out strap - and the screen broke.

Was not worth the cost of fixing so I bought an SD1100IS. Am quite impressed but sad I don't have use of my SD550 any more.

Post #12, Apr 19, 2008 04:24:57 as a reply to Jon's post 20 hours earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
SD550 - can't take pictures with flash
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES