Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of June 2006 (Thu)   #1
dee1974

Default SD550 - can't take pictures with flash

Hi. I have a SD550 which got dropped into water by accident. I dried out the camera and it is working okay except for the following: whenever the flash is required to take a picture, the AF frame won't appear on the display and the camera will not take the picture. So, for the time being, I've had to turn the flash setting to OFF in order to take any pictures.

Any idea what the problem is, how I could fix it, the cost to fix it? Could the flash be fused?

Thanks
dee1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of June 2006 (Thu)   #2
DavidW
Goldmember

Default Re: SD550 - can't take pictures with flash

Not what you want to hear - but water damage to electronics and the sort of relatively unprotected optics in a compact camera usually puts them beyond economic repair. It's worth checking if you've got any insurance cover - possibly via your household insurance.

Quite what is happening is very hard to guess at - it's possible that there's a power drop happening when the flash capacitor is trying to charge due to corrosion somewhere (battery contacts, perhaps).

If you ask a service centre to look at it, they'll probably charge you to say it's beyond economic repair. You could phone a service centre for their opinion, but I don't think it's going to be positive, sadly.

However, it could just be that there's not enough light for the camera to focus. I just checked with an Ixus 700 (SD500) here - and at distances of more than about six feet, the AF assist light doesn't throw sufficient illumination to focus.

If that's the problem, though, I found I could still take the picture (albeit that it was out of focus).

I'd try the camera with the flash on in daylight to eliminate the possibility of it being a low light issue.

David
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2006 (Thu)   #3
dee1974

Thanks for the reply. Not really what I wanted to hear. I've tried taking pictures in all types of lighting with the flash 'ON', but it still won't take pictures. It'll only take pictures when the flash is not necessary or is in the 'OFF' setting.

That was an expensive drop in the creek...
dee1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of September 2006 (Sun)   #4
jptsr1

I bought two of these cameras for myself and my father-in-law. I love the 550 but there are two parts that are extremely delicate in my opinion. One is the LCD and the other is the flash. If the camera experiences the least bit of trauma one or both of these is likely to break. Fortunately I buy all of my electronics at Costco so it isn’t a problem for me but we have been through a couple units each.

J.
jptsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of September 2006 (Mon)   #5
Medic85
I just quoted Forrest Gump!

I suggest using the wrist strap that is supplied with the camera.
Medic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of September 2007 (Tue)   #6
jgparks

I'm having the same exact problem... I did not drop it into any water, or anything like that... it simply stopped taking pictures when requiring the flash... only non-flash photography... any help would be greatly appreciated!!
jgparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2008 (Thu)   #7
pixelmechanic

Me too, me too!! My daughter's SD550 will shoot without flash, but with the flash on, nothing happens. Bummer.
pixelmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2008 (Sat)   #8
angliabob

I also have a flash problem.(All modes)
I bought the camera in April 2007.
I sent it to Canon to have it repaired.
They wanted $127.00 to repair an 8 month old camera.
I told them to send it back unrepaired, and they lost a Canon customer.
angliabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2008 (Sat)   #9
jptsr1

wow! haven't seen this thread in a while. i believe that both the flash and lcd on the 550 are of sub par construction. thank goodness for Costco. if i had bout mine anyplace else my experience with the 550 might have turned me away from Canon as well.

J.
jptsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2008 (Fri)   #10
thaineseguy

I have the same problem. My sister borrowed the camera and said that it stopped working all of a sudden without dropping it or splashing water on it.

I read somewhere that it could be the flash circuitry that's the problem so I bought one and replaced it but that didn't fix it. I'm still going to try to fix it when I get spare time and I'll let you guys know if I eventually get it to work.

One question I have is when you guys shake your camera (working or not working) do you hear something near the flash that sounds like a loose screw? The new one Canon sent me has that rattling sound as well so I wasn't sure if it's supposed to normally sound like that.
thaineseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2008 (Fri)   #11
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

The rattling is typically the orientation sensor.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2008 (Sat)   #12
tombei

I really loved my SD550. Unfortunately I dropped it - yes, the first time I EVER held it in my hand with out strap - and the screen broke.

Was not worth the cost of fixing so I bought an SD1100IS. Am quite impressed but sad I don't have use of my SD550 any more.
tombei is offline   Reply With Quote