Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 16 Jun 2006 (Friday) 06:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Portfolio!!

Dragonfli ­ Spirit
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Jun 16, 2006 06:45 |  #1

HELP!
I've been asked to put together a portfolio of my work, but have no idea where to start and what to do...
Can anyone help please?!

Thank you :)

:D
Donna
www.dmlphotography.com​.auexternal link

sponsored links
RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Delaware, USA
Jun 16, 2006 09:42 |  #2

An on-line portfolio or a book portfolio?

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.comexternal link
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

Sophia
371 posts
Joined Dec 2005
NYC
Jun 16, 2006 09:53 |  #3

I'm not sure if it's applicable but I have an idea how an architecture portfolio should look like at least.

At art stores, you have this clear sheets with folder for portfolio. I bought mine at Barnes and Noble that's pure leather. You can still smell it. Preferably, use black, it looks professional. It looks like a photo album but with a size of 8.5"x11" and up. At the front page, put your name, etc (personal infos) and it depends on how attractive you want to make. All of my works has a jet black background to have more attention of my work. You should at least have a minimum of 20 pages.

Best works should be at the first, middle and last pages. Those in between are the one that's 2nd to the best. Middle pages, try to mix them together. The reason is that some people don't have much time browsing one by one of your work. They only look at the 1st page, browse a little bit then go straight at at the last page.

Arrangement of your photographs (or how many per page) are depends on your liking and what type portfolio you are making.

Just some hints: Use the best paper available and use the "best" quality when printing. When there's a smudge, don't use it. When you see a finger print, don't use it. Make it as perfect as possible.

Another portfolio which is more expensive but very impressive is the magazine or book style. For the magazine style, one example is the "Architectural Digest". Book style looks like the typical photography books found at the book stores. Hardbound.

I hope it helps. Btw, if you know how to use PageMaker, that's a big plus.

--sophie

Canon Rebel T2i, Canon G6 and Grado SR325i:)

Dragonfli ­ Spirit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Jun 16, 2006 10:28 as a reply to RTMiller's post |  #4

RTMiller wrote:
An on-line portfolio or a book portfolio?

A book portfolio :)

Donna

Dragonfli ­ Spirit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Jun 16, 2006 10:30 as a reply to Sophia's post |  #5

Sophia wrote:
I'm not sure if it's applicable but I have an idea how an architecture portfolio should look like at least.

At art stores, you have this clear sheets with folder for portfolio. I bought mine at Barnes and Noble that's pure leather. You can still smell it. Preferably, use black, it looks professional. It looks like a photo album but with a size of 8.5"x11" and up. At the front page, put your name, etc (personal infos) and it depends on how attractive you want to make. All of my works has a jet black background to have more attention of my work. You should at least have a minimum of 20 pages.

Best works should be at the first, middle and last pages. Those in between are the one that's 2nd to the best. Middle pages, try to mix them together. The reason is that some people don't have much time browsing one by one of your work. They only look at the 1st page, browse a little bit then go straight at at the last page.

Arrangement of your photographs (or how many per page) are depends on your liking and what type portfolio you are making.

Just some hints: Use the best paper available and use the "best" quality when printing. When there's a smudge, don't use it. When you see a finger print, don't use it. Make it as perfect as possible.

Another portfolio which is more expensive but very impressive is the magazine or book style. For the magazine style, one example is the "Architectural Digest". Book style looks like the typical photography books found at the book stores. Hardbound.

I hope it helps. Btw, if you know how to use PageMaker, that's a big plus.

--sophie

Thank you so much for that Sophie :)

I've not even heard of PageMaker, but I"ll go and have a look at it now.

One thing about the fingerprints - my hubby thinks I'm potty when I start yelling at him for touching my photos with his bare hands!
The white gloves.. the white gloves... LOL
I'll show him this post later ;)

Thanks again, :)

Donna

Sophia
371 posts
Joined Dec 2005
NYC
Jun 16, 2006 10:45 as a reply to Dragonfli Spirit's post |  #6

You can also use Harold Linton's "Portfolio Design". Widely used by Architecture students. I think it's kind a the same because I included pictures in my portfolio. Basically it teaches you the design, arrangements, contents and "do's" and "dont's" when making a portfolio.

Here's the link:

http://search.barnesan​dnoble.com ...z=y&isbn=0393730956​&itm=1external link

or just check it out at bookstores and see if it's really helpful.

--sophie

Canon Rebel T2i, Canon G6 and Grado SR325i:)

OdiN1701
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Jun 16, 2006 11:31 |  #7
banned

Check these portfolio books out:

http://www.itoya.com ..._html/AP_Profession​al.htmexternal link

They work well. Adorama sells both the 8.5x11 and 8x10 as well as other sizes.

SAY NO TO SPEC WORK!external link

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,886 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Birmingham, UK
Jun 18, 2006 08:02 |  #8

Very useful. Am looking at doing the same and some great advice here.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​203740

Anthony ­ J ­ Howe
Cream of the Crop
6,935 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Rhos-on-sea UK
Jun 19, 2006 04:10 |  #9

I create an online book with software upload it and have the the printing service publish it and sent to my home and use this as my portfolio. I did this with the last wedding shoot. The software here of course is Aperture, but there is tons of software you can download and use.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D + Canon 20D + Canon EOS 300

85mm EF 1:1.8, 24-105 L usm, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 50 mm F1.4 usm Sigma 70-200mm f1.2

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Mercer Island, WA
Jun 19, 2006 04:14 |  #10
banned

stick with a theme, rather than just your best random images. try to tailor it to your client. eventually you'll have muliple portfolios, one for weddings, portraiture, studio, landscape, food etc

Photographic Resourcesexternal link || International Photo Journalistexternal link

Blogexternal link

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographerexternal link

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
6,793 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Mercer Island, WA
Jun 19, 2006 04:14 |  #11
banned

http://www.houseofport​folios.com/external link

Photographic Resourcesexternal link || International Photo Journalistexternal link

Blogexternal link

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographerexternal link

Dragonfli ­ Spirit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Jun 19, 2006 04:17 |  #12

Thanks for that Andrew :)

Donna

Dragonfli ­ Spirit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Jun 19, 2006 06:40 |  #13

Thanks Anthony & Corey.. :D

Donna

sponsored links

2,163 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portfolio!!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.