0%
0.5%
0%
1%
0.5%
0.5%
7.7%
5.3%

76 voters, 209 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS

Big_B
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
Joined Jun 2004
4,586 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

The contest is closed and the voting is open, so this is your opportunity to best for the best photo that meets the theme.

The first rule of voting. Please please please leave a comment when you vote. This contest really comes alive when people just drop in,say hi and perhaps tell us why they voted for a particular photo. It makes the contest more fun and gives really great feedback for the photographers.

Other stuff:

• The poll will remain open for 7 days.
  • You can vote for five photos. Your vote will be public. Remember you need to vote for all 5 photos at the same time.
  • Please don't vote for your own photos!
  • As before there will 1st, 2nd and 3rd place positions.
  • No prizes, sorry :lol:
  • I will be announcing the names (aliases) of the people who win.
View the photos here:
http://canondigitalpho​tographycontests.fotop​ic.net/c976103.htmlexternal link

PLEASE NOTE that photos 49 to 57 may be on the second page. I have tried to change this so they are all displayed together, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

UPDATE: Photos 3 and 4 have been disqualified. Click here for more infomation.

Post #1, Jun 17, 2006 10:34:22

www.pbase.com/sam_blac​kieexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
BentwoodBlue
Joined Jun 2006
47 posts
Delaware, US
[MORE/SHARE]

I have to say that 23 was my favourite and I can't really explain why. They are all great shots, but when the whole gallery is thumbnailed that is always the one I see first. The larger version is just as visually appealing to me.
I did want to add that 24 was very interesting. My brain has some trouble processing that one though. Is it upside down?

Post #2, Jun 17, 2006 20:30:49

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

OiPaz
Joined Jul 2005
704 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

BentwoodBlue wrote:
I have to say that 23 was my favourite and I can't really explain why. [...]
I did want to add that 24 was very interesting. My brain has some trouble processing that one though. Is it upside down?

I like the water flow of #23 as well, but there is too much (ugly) pipe for my taste. And of course #24 is upside down: just look at the direction of growing grass!

Anyway, my favourite are: #2 and #10 (I tried to shoot something like that, but my attempts were unsuccessful), #6 (amazing subject, even if I do not really like the cut), #12 (where is that peculiar fountain?) and #56 (perfect shot!).

Post #3, Jun 17, 2006 22:26:11 as a reply to BentwoodBlue's post 1 hour earlier.

http://www.oipaz.net/external linkWho needs a gear list, when you can have a Gear Graphexternal link!

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2004
6,382 posts
Sacramento, CA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I let my eldest kid pick for me, he's 6 so some of the ones he really liked are ones I would never have picked.

Post #4, Jun 18, 2006 00:24:44

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

DigitalMDX
Joined Sep 2005
819 posts
Pacific Northwest
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow, there are some great pictures in this contest. This was a tough one.
First: #4 It's just beautiful
Second: #10 I've tried these drip shots and this one turned out fantastic
Third: #21 I love the color in this one
-----------
others I really liked.
#34 Very cool, I like it!
#37 I would love to see this one rotated slightly and in high resolution.
#56 Very cool (no pun intended) shot!

I really enjoyed looking at all of these photos.

Post #5, Jun 18, 2006 00:38:11 as a reply to Citizensmith's post 13 minutes earlier.

Washington State - Canon Rebel XT

sponsored links
fan_o_fotos
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2006
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]
banned
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
Joined Mar 2006
5,018 posts
New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?
[MORE/SHARE]

I'll explain later. gotta make the pancakes :)

Post #7, Jun 18, 2006 07:56:20

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

Robuk
2011 SMWYG Photographer of the Year
Joined Jun 2006
870 posts
God's Country......N Wales UK
[MORE/SHARE]

4, 20, 24, 25 and 56

Some great shots from everyone :) and I picked what I liked out of all of them...............

Post #8, Jun 18, 2006 08:29:13

Freelance Photos North Wales
www.fpnw.co.ukexternal link
New Web Site now on line :)

leaveit
Joined Oct 2005
359 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I do have to say...and i think everyone should pay attention to this...that these competitions are only going to work if the people in them are acting honestly and if votes are genuine and votes aren’t simply generated for a title (be that 1st, 2nd or 3rd place).
Take the shots for #3 and #4 as examples...

Here is my case:
Point 1:
They are both very nice photos, taken, as seems to me, by the same photographer. (if i am wrong please excuse me). The general execution is the same, subject is the same, both long exposure shots. So they do bear similarities pointing to a primary photographer.
Point 2:
When looking at the vote counter, specifically at the names of the voters voting, i see 2 voters (namely: "fan_o_fotos" and "photojunkie") which only voted on shots 3 and 4.
Point 3:
Both these "users" registered on the SAME day, that being TODAY (18th of June 2006)!! A very convenient time to register in time for the voting.
And both have NO posts, NO avatar and NO signature, further suggesting a registration for competition voting purposes only.
Point 4:
The title of these 2 voters both have the common "photo" word in their names. It suggests that there was no thought (regarding the name) put into these registrations (both names being quite generic and linked) - again leading to the idea that the registrations were only for voting purposes.
Point 5:
My FINAL VERDICT is that both "fan_o_fotos" and "photojunkie" are aliases of the same user, a family member, friend or perhaps the photographer of shots 3 and 4 themselves. All the above evidence points to the fact that these "users" were registered simply to create votes for these photos!!! Just to ensure a win!!!

Attitudes such as this mentioned above will only ruin the idea of fair competition. If indeed i am right, then i think ppl that do such 'fixing' should not be allowed to participate in the competitions created on this forum. It ruins others chances of a real win...and also destroyed the confidence of future entries and the general trust in the competition's authenticity!

If anyone else is of the same opinion...PLEASE SPEAK UP! Because its potentially your competition that such cheating is ruining!

I think all admins should be aware of such possible fraud, for the sake of maintaining competition integrity.

NOTE: user "hunny" is suspect of the same behaviour (i.e. voter simply registered for voting purposes) - in regards to shots 54 and 55 for same reasons as listed above

Am i right...have a think guys...

Post #9, Jun 18, 2006 14:37:26 as a reply to Robuk's post 6 hours earlier.

Vision, cognition and an optical mouse!!! :D

Cristian

blackviolet
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2004
1,313 posts
sydney, au (now in singapore for a few years)
[MORE/SHARE]

i thought newly registered people couldn't vote?? or is that only POTNOTY comps?
edit - i see what you mean........

Post #10, Jun 18, 2006 18:43:23

--
oblio
1dmkiii - 5dmkii -Leica M8/M6 - Mamiya 645AFDiii/zd
ModelMayhemexternal link | myexternal linkflickexternal linkr galleryexternal link

Athena
Must stop thinking
Joined Aug 2005
9,578 posts
Deep in Thought.
[MORE/SHARE]

If this is true, its quite sad indeed.

How is it that you can see who is voting for what? Names don't show up on the poll results for me.

Post #11, Jun 18, 2006 20:37:45

are we real?external link

sponsored links
jenne
Joined Jan 2006
359 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Athena wrote:
If this is true, its quite sad indeed.

How is it that you can see who is voting for what? Names don't show up on the poll results for me.

If you click on any of the poll result links, the names will show up under the status bar lines... As for Cristian's observations, the voting does seem a bit shady... :confused:... That's too bad, if it's true.

Post #12, Jun 18, 2006 21:05:22 as a reply to Athena's post 27 minutes earlier.

Jenne.
5DmkII/7D and various lenses and shtuff
My Bloggity Blog!external link (I love comments and I don't bite! :D)
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
Joined Mar 2006
5,018 posts
New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?
[MORE/SHARE]

I voted for 4. I feel so used. :(

The images are both 600x405. The only ones in the list so formatted. My inclination is to say the photographer is being framed. It's easy for someone to say "Hey, Mom! Look at the photos I've entered into this contest." and Mom gets a couple of accounts to help her son/daughter along.

It's just a contest, people. I just wish someone would VOTE for one of my pics and post why they like it. It's nice when one of mine does well, but I like the comments too. One of my photos finished fourth in an earlier contest. Nice, but I liked the things people said about the pic most of all.

Stuff the ballot box all you want. For yourself or your friends, but if no one else is commenting on it you may as well be cheating at solitare.

Post #13, Jun 18, 2006 22:31:54

I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
Joined Mar 2006
5,018 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh, and one other thing, these boards keep track of the IP addresses used for posts. Given the hectic week that Big_B has had just getting the voting started, I doubt there'd be an investigation.

But here's what's so easy to do:
Take the IP addresses used to post messages for anyone.
Compare that IP address with those used by the photographer's posts.

Does POTN allow sock-puppet accounts?

Post #14, Jun 18, 2006 22:43:56

Gear List

JFK
Joined Sep 2005
128 posts
Denmark, Western Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

If the vote rigging is correct then it is very sad. I don't understand why anyone would bother cheating.

Post #15, Jun 18, 2006 23:59:56 as a reply to BillsBayou's post 1 hour earlier.

www.johnkrepp.netexternal link Canon 5D, 40D, 20D, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, EF 24-105 f4L, EF 100 f2.8 Macro, Feisol CT-3401 Tripod, Feisol CM-1401 Monopod, Manfrotto 488RC2 head, Kenko 1.5 TC

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,452 views & 0 likes for this thread
Voting #43: Water! (results posted)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES