Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 21 Jun 2006 (Wednesday) 04:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: -!!BEWARE!!- of fake memory cards on ebay

Ciqala
242 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Greenwich, London
Jun 21, 2006 04:58 |  #1

**EDIT** more on this Here

unfortunately i hadnt seen the existing discussions on here until i'd already won and paid my money for a sandisk ultra II 2gb compactflash card.

card arrived today and it's definately fake based on the comparisons shown on this site ...

http://martybugs.net/a​rticles/fakesandisk.cg​iexternal link

i was thinking it may be worth making a sticky to warn people of the inherent dangers of buying memory off of ebay. i know all purchases on ebay should be carefully considered before bidding and i'm certain plenty of people will post in this thread about how they 'never buy from ebay', but for those who do use ebay its near impossible to tell before you buy if the product you receive will be genuine or not and as such are not as easy to spot as your typical scam and can even catch savvy users such as myself off-guard if not aware of the scale of counterfeiting going on.

the info in the other threads is also rather scattered so perhaps we can use this thread as a central place to put any information on how to go about getting your money back if you already fell foul of this scam and also how to tell if the cards you use are genuine.

HipHop Photographer / Journalist / Webmaster
My Website: HipHopGame.co.ukexternal link | My Blog: TopShotta.comexternal link | My Flickr: TopShottaexternal link
| MySpace: myspace.com/hiphopgame​ukexternal link
Canon 20d + BG-E2, EF 50mm f1.4 USM, Lowepro micro trekker200

sponsored links
nation
906 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Sydney, Oz
Jun 21, 2006 05:09 |  #2

Thanks for th warning. Whose the seller by the way we know for the future?

There's a sticky in the market watch section where you can add your dodgy seller. Just be descriptive yet clear on the facts before posting :)

7D and lenses.

Ephemeral
896 posts
Joined May 2006
UK (London)
Jun 21, 2006 07:09 as a reply to nation's post |  #3

Did you see how many positive responses the seller had before you bought the card?

I bought my Sandisk Ultra II 2Gb from ebay. It was shipped from Hongkong. The seller had over 3000 responses, with 99% positive. I'm not saying responses can't be faked, but it helps.

Canon 5D + Grip | 85mm L f/1.2 | 17-40mm L f/4.0 | [COLOR=Silver]24-70mm L f/2.8 |[COLOR=Black] 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS | Speedlite 580EX & 430EX | Manfrotto 190Pro + 488RC2
ephemeral.smugmug.comexternal link

Ciqala
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Greenwich, London
Jun 21, 2006 07:35 |  #4

they had over 500 positive feedback responses. but if people who buy from them dont realise it's fake and aren't the technical type (to do things like verify its performance) and just take it at face value who's to say they wouldnt be happy with their purchase and give positive feedback. i only knew to even think about checking it's authenticity following posts i saw on the forum (which led me to dig deeper).

since i found out i sent the seller a message stating i wanted a full refund and for no negative feedback to be left or i would be contacting ebay/paypal and sandisk to report him.

his reply was

I just buyn and sell. I buy the memory from Taiwan and they said is real. If you don't accept the card please return to me and get a fully refund. As soon as I received the card I also can return to the factory for refund. So please return it to me that is what i can do.

Billy

now i dont believe a single word of this as this is almost word for word the response posted by many other people who also received fake memory cards that i found from google. so he wants me to send him the fake item back and then he will refund me.

this of course means that the burden of risk remains with me as he may not refund me once he gets the item and i lose any proof that it was in fact counterfeit. i'm also fairly sure the law in the uk says that if i return an item i know to be counterfeit then i'd be breaking the law by aiding them in their venture (much in the same way shops are not meant to give you back your money if they find out it's fake).

i'm waiting on a call back from consumer direct to find out where i stand legally on handling counterfeit goods but ultimately i want my money back and for ebay to stop this guy selling fake goods to anyone else without him tarnishing my own feedback with an unwarranted negative rating.

i'll keep this thread updated with any updates.

My Website: HipHopGame.co.ukexternal link | My Blog: TopShotta.comexternal link | My Flickr: TopShottaexternal link

bigtallguy
69 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Jun 21, 2006 16:11 |  #5

Some pics of the fake Ultra II i purchased off a UK based seller with 100% feedback... fake on the right...

IMAGE: http://static.flickr.com/60/171392883_dd749ddef7.jpg

IMAGE: http://static.flickr.com/59/171393005_dd2e2b6700.jpg

IMAGE: http://static.flickr.com/71/171393045_aaf5174925.jpg

IMAGE: http://static.flickr.com/53/171393138_12e87a59e4.jpg

- Canon EOS40D - Canon EOS300D - Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II - Canon Speedlite 430EX -http://www.bigtallguy.​co.ukexternal link

MegaHurtz
309 posts
Joined Jun 2006
BC, Canada
Jun 21, 2006 17:07 |  #6

I ended up with 3 of the fake 2gb cards :mad:

I've still got them, I'm currently trying to file a dispute with PayPal

:mad:!

I'm really just thinking about keeping them and using them when I am in apinch. Not that that is going to happen, as I have 3 legit 2gb Ultra II cards, a 2gb Elite Pro, and a 1gb standard Sandisk. Having 15gb of CF does have a nice ring to it too :D

Canon

20D | BG-E2 | 17-40 F4L | 70-200 F2.8L | 50 F1.8 | 580EX | 21 gigs of CF

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Boston, MA
Jun 21, 2006 17:18 |  #7

another reason why i do not use flea bay anymore. this has been going on for some time now and these people still have tons of listings up while many hard working people are getting fake cards...

Ciqala
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Greenwich, London
Jun 22, 2006 06:40 |  #8

got a callback from consumer direct (uk consumer advice line) just now and i must have got a woman who was suffering from the monthlys because she was as rude as can be.

the gist of the conversation is, she can forward the sellers details to trading standards to file a criminal prosecution, she then got incredibly rude when i said i was at work and the item was at home "well how do you expect me to help you if you cant even give me the details" err hello, i called yesterday when i had the item in front of me, how was i to know you would be calling me right now. basically she got so annoyed she didnt offer me any advice on what to do in terms of getting a refund and instead tried to terminate the case there and then, i asked if i could call back when i have the item with me, she spat out a case number and hung up on me. in short, it wasnt a productive call.

i'll try again later with the info to hand and hopefully i'll get someone a little more personable on the other end this time. will post what advice they give if i get any.

i cant go through ebay dispute process just yet either as they say you must wait 10 days.

Ciqala
THREAD ­ STARTER
242 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Greenwich, London
Jun 22, 2006 06:44 |  #9

almost forgot, i contacted sandisk as well just to get proper confirmation my card was fake (didnt think trading standards would accept "a website told me it was")

heres the ticket i raised...

Your Question/Problem:
I have just purchased what i thought to be a brand new sandisk ultra II compactflash card from a retailer on ebay but since receiving it, i now have my doubts as to it's authenticity.

the serial number printed on the side of the card is...
ASS0606DH

could you please let me know if there is any way to be certain that the card i have is genuine.
---------------
SanDisk Response: (06/21/2006 07:47)
Hello,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support.

Based on the information provided in your email, We regret to inform you that you purchased a counterfeit item.

The serial number you provided does not match the capacity of your product. This is typical for (unfortunately) many of the counterfeit items sold on the internet. Another typical indication of a counterfeit item is the immediate failure (normally within a week). I hope you can obtain a refund/return from the seller. Any troubleshooting of this non-Sandisk device is useless. I apologize but because of this, we will not be able to provide you with any kind of support.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact our technical support department at one of the numbers below.

Sincerely,
Ingo L.
Sandisk Technical support
US +1 (866) 726 3475
NL +31 (202) 015 029
UK +44 (207) 3654 193

nanodog
45 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Connecticut
Jun 22, 2006 08:26 |  #10

EBAY has a system for all of this.. go to the faqs and follow them.
Don't file a Neg until you have a resolution, it keeps the seller in the game by trying to keep the Neg from happening.
Also do not withdraw your complaint until it is resolved, you only have one shot at that.
If you ship the item back to him you should get a delivery reciept electronically. Use that to file the claim with PayPal if you don't get reimbursed.

Also another good way to check on EBAY sellers is toolhaus.org. They track all negs and neutrals, even the ones that have been mutally withdrawn.

Good luck.

Canon 350D | EF 17-40 f/4L USM | EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II USM | EF 70-200 f/4L USM | Speedlite 430EX | 1.4 Teleconverter | lots of other little stuff...

Jesper
Goldmember
2,742 posts
Joined Oct 2003
The Netherlands
Jun 23, 2006 03:56 |  #11

Fake Sandisk CF cards

There are people everywhere who try to make money by scamming others...

I found this: Fake Sandisk Ultra II CF cardsexternal link

Have you heard about this before?

You'd better buy your memory cards (and other equipment...) from a reputable store, you see how you get scammed if you try to save a few $...

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

AF_is_for_sissies
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Northern California, USA
Jun 23, 2006 04:20 as a reply to Jesper's post |  #12
banned

I remember reading something about fake CF cards either on here or another board a while back. It doesn't suprise me at all, especially considering how much fake stuff is sold via Ebay. Most of it comes from China and can look startlingly real. Tiffany & Co. actaully sued Ebay last year in an attempt to stop users from selling fake jewlery. The crazy thing is, according to the story I read, the fakes were so good, that the silver jewlery was actually the same weight as the Tiffany jewelry and almost identical in every single way. Even if you go on there right now and type in Tiffany, you will still get about 95% fakes (and they even come with fake Tiffany boxes and pouches).

BTW, in case any of you are wondering, I myself do not wear Tiffany, but my girlfriend loves it. Haha. Just wanted to be clear. My girlfriend on the other hand...She loves the stuff. Know if they can only invent a bracelet that doubles as a light meter...

"It’s not the photographer who makes the picture, but the person being photographed." -Sebastiao Salgado
My Equipment
: Canon 1D Mark II, Canon 20D, Canon 17-40mm f/4L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Extreme III 2GB CF, Lexar 80x 1GB CF.

Dew
395 posts
Joined Apr 2005
UK
Jun 23, 2006 04:24 as a reply to Jesper's post |  #13

Jesper wrote:
Have you heard about this before?

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=170887

EOS 1D MkIV | EOS 40D | BG-E2N | EOS 30D | BG-E2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM | Extender EF 1.4x II | Tamrac Model 5575 Expedition 5
flickr setsexternal link

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Jun 23, 2006 04:28 as a reply to AF_is_for_sissies's post |  #14

AF_is_for_sissies wrote:
BTW, in case any of you are wondering, I myself do not wear Tiffany, but my girlfriend loves it. Haha. Just wanted to be clear. My girlfriend on the other hand...She loves the stuff. Know if they can only invent a bracelet that doubles as a light meter...

Haha, then you can get a nice present for her from eBay :wink:

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

chtgrubbs
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Jun 23, 2006 10:01 as a reply to Jesper's post |  #15

Not only do you risk getting a fake, but many sellers are charging $25 to $60 for shipping for an item that can't cost any more than $4 to mail!

sponsored links

222,391 views & 1 like for this thread
-!!BEWARE!!- of fake memory cards on ebay
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.