MACRO Challenge #7 - Macro Water (CLOSED)

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 21 Jun 2006 (Wednesday) 20:37   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tghaines
Joined Dec 2005
311 posts
Sydney Australia, Mona Vale
[MORE/SHARE]

Please make sure you have read and understood all the rules before submitting your photos.

On the back of the wildly popular water contest. Macro Challenge #7 will feature “MACRO Water.” Photos should have a water theme, or contain water etc….get creative.

I am happy to announce that we will have a prize - Phodoo is offering a year's free membership of his photo hosting website - phoodoo.com. I am sure we all thank Phodoo for there support.

Remember, everyone is welcome to join in. You don't need to be an expert or to have a fancy camera, this is all just about having fun and, through that, getting better at photography.

As per usual, you may submit up to two photos for this competition.
Good luck everyone!

RULES

1) The contest will run for approximately 10 days and will end on Thursday 6th July, 2006 at 8:00AM GMT.

2) You can submit up to two pictures, and change these if you wish up to the time that the competition ends.

3) Post processing - nothing that substantially changes the original composition of the image.

4) Photos must be no larger than 800 pixels at the longest dimension and a maximum of 200k.

5) No framing of pictures, text or copyright notices.

6) This competition is a learning experience so we ask you, where possible, to take photos especially for the contest.

7) At the end of the competition, a separate thread will be started to seek the votes of forum members over the period of 1 week. The person with the most votes will be declared the winner.

Finally, please ensure that you have read this post fully and understand the rules prior to sending.

Submitting your photo:

* SEND PHOTOS TO: potnmacrocontest at gmail dot com

* Note: Please allow up to 48 hours (longer during weekends) for your photo to post. If it is not posted within this time frame please send me a note via this forum.

* TITLE All e-mails "MACRO". If the e-mail subject is not titled as such, I will not open the attachment and you will not be entered into the contest!

* Please submit photos in the format "username_0x.jpg", where x is the number of the submission (i.e. 1 or 2).

* Please submit a TITLE with your picture along with the DATE it was taken.

* Additionally a brief explanation if needed to emphasise how this photo meets the theme.

VIEW PHOTOS AT: http://potnmacrogaller​y.fotopic.net/external link

Commenting on photos before the voting closes:
* You can comment on any photo in this competition, provided it does not have an asterix (*) next to the title.
* If the photo have an asterix (*) next to the title commenting should wait until after voting.
* I'll assume that everyone is happy for people to comment on their photos.
* If you do not wish to have your photo commented on, just drop me an email/pm and I'll add an asterix to the title of your photo.

Post #1, Jun 21, 2006 20:37:24

Trent Haines
www.diversionimages.co​m.auexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tghaines
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2005
311 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

No Photos at http://potnmacrogaller​y.fotopic.net/external link yet.....I'll try to whip up an example this afternoon and post it.

TGH

Post #2, Jun 21, 2006 22:58:54

Trent Haines

tghaines
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2005
311 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

3 Images online already - Great Work everyone.

http://potnmacrogaller​y.fotopic.net/external link

Post #3, Jun 22, 2006 02:15:24

Trent Haines

tghaines
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2005
311 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Few more shots added. Check em out at http://potnmacrogaller​y.fotopic.net/external link

Post #4, Jun 24, 2006 01:45:28

Trent Haines

tghaines
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2005
311 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

2 More shots added, and some great work. Keep em coming.....

Aren't there some insects the live on the water?? How about so me shots of them??

Post #5, Jun 29, 2006 04:20:51

Trent Haines

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tghaines
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2005
311 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Few more shots added. Comp ends Thursday 6th (not Wed 6th - Sorry). Keep the great work coming.

Post #6, Jul 05, 2006 15:28:43

Trent Haines

MsRaven73
Joined Jun 2006
28 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

I was wondering if you could clear up a bit of confusion for me. I am a little unclear on the definition of macro. I did a search on wikipedia and came up with this. http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Macro_photograp​hyexternal link
This is a relatively new hobby for me and I am still learning. So I would appreciate any feed back that you could give me.
Thank you very much.

Post #7, Jul 07, 2006 23:47:20

~Lisa...
Canon Rebel XTI (Alice), kit lens, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, RC-1, speedlite 430EX, 200DG Bag
Canon PS A610 (stolen)

deconb
Joined Jan 2006
79 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

HA! I JUST looked that up on wikipedia! I was looking at the macro gallery the other day and noticed a couple of pictures that I couldn't figure out what made them macors.. For instance, this:
http://potnmacrogaller​y.fotopic.net/p3130663​9.htmlexternal link

Is an awesome shot, but I'm confused about it being a macro...

Post #8, Jul 07, 2006 23:55:59

AirBrontosaurus
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
3,813 posts
Indianapolis, Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

deconb wrote:
HA! I JUST looked that up on wikipedia! I was looking at the macro gallery the other day and noticed a couple of pictures that I couldn't figure out what made them macors.. For instance, this:
http://potnmacrogaller​y.fotopic.net/p3130663​9.htmlexternal link

Is an awesome shot, but I'm confused about it being a macro...

It isn't. Macro (1:1 photography) means that the object on the image is the same size on the sensor. For instance, the 300D's sensor is 22.7mm long. Thus, in true 1:1 macro photography, an insect that was 22.7mm long would stretch across the entire sensor (thus stretching across the entire image).

A test to see if a lens can go "macro" is to draw a rectange on a piece of paper that is the exact dimension of your sensor. In my case, the 300D's sensor is 22.7 x 15.1mm. Thus, a rectange with those dimensions should theoretically fill the entire image if I were to take a picture of it.

Now, while this is the technical meaning, it isn't fair to bash on people who don't have a dedicated macro lens (like me ;)). So, on these forums, macro is pretty much anything that is small, even if it isn't taken at 1:1.

However, in reguards to that picture, it is almost the exact opposite of macro :oops:. I'm kind of wondering how it got there too. I just figured that the people voting would know that it isn't a macro and skip over it.

It is a really nice shot though ;).

Post #9, Jul 08, 2006 00:49:25 as a reply to deconb's post 53 minutes earlier.

Chris | My Flickrexternal link | AirBrontosaurus.comexternal link | Peleng 8mm Fisheye writeupexternal link
Body
: Canon 5D
Lenses: Canon 24-105mm f/4 L | Canon MP-E 65mm Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

deconb
Joined Jan 2006
79 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm certainly not bashing anybody for the record :)

I haven't yet bought a macro lens for my 20d, looking at the 100mm, but I REALLY enjoyed close up shots with my old s7000 (which had an AWESOME macro). So, when I first bought my camera, I got the kit lens and picked up 3 filters (buy 2 get 1 free); a cp, uv and didn't see anything else usefull so on a whim I picked up a Close Up + 3 at ritz cameras. I don't use it much, but it turned out to be a nice little toy. Here's a shot I took with the kit lens just a few minutes ago

http://i77.photobucket​.com ...s/j78/deconb/IMG_10​99.jpgexternal link

That filter is 16$ (58mm) online here:
http://www.ritzcamera.​com/product/241661503m​sk.htmexternal link

Post #10, Jul 08, 2006 02:17:04

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,203 views & 0 likes for this thread
MACRO Challenge #7 - Macro Water (CLOSED)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES