Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Competitions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of June 2006 (Wed)   #1
tghaines

Default MACRO Challenge #7 - Macro Water (CLOSED)

Please make sure you have read and understood all the rules before submitting your photos.

On the back of the wildly popular water contest. Macro Challenge #7 will feature “MACRO Water.” Photos should have a water theme, or contain water etc….get creative.

I am happy to announce that we will have a prize - Phodoo is offering a year's free membership of his photo hosting website - phoodoo.com. I am sure we all thank Phodoo for there support.

Remember, everyone is welcome to join in. You don't need to be an expert or to have a fancy camera, this is all just about having fun and, through that, getting better at photography.

As per usual, you may submit up to two photos for this competition.
Good luck everyone!

RULES

1) The contest will run for approximately 10 days and will end on Thursday 6th July, 2006 at 8:00AM GMT.

2) You can submit up to two pictures, and change these if you wish up to the time that the competition ends.

3) Post processing - nothing that substantially changes the original composition of the image.

4) Photos must be no larger than 800 pixels at the longest dimension and a maximum of 200k.

5) No framing of pictures, text or copyright notices.

6) This competition is a learning experience so we ask you, where possible, to take photos especially for the contest.

7) At the end of the competition, a separate thread will be started to seek the votes of forum members over the period of 1 week. The person with the most votes will be declared the winner.

Finally, please ensure that you have read this post fully and understand the rules prior to sending.

Submitting your photo:

* SEND PHOTOS TO: potnmacrocontest at gmail dot com

* Note: Please allow up to 48 hours (longer during weekends) for your photo to post. If it is not posted within this time frame please send me a note via this forum.

* TITLE All e-mails "MACRO". If the e-mail subject is not titled as such, I will not open the attachment and you will not be entered into the contest!

* Please submit photos in the format "username_0x.jpg", where x is the number of the submission (i.e. 1 or 2).

* Please submit a TITLE with your picture along with the DATE it was taken.

* Additionally a brief explanation if needed to emphasise how this photo meets the theme.

VIEW PHOTOS AT: http://potnmacrogallery.fotopic.net/

Commenting on photos before the voting closes:
* You can comment on any photo in this competition, provided it does not have an asterix (*) next to the title.
* If the photo have an asterix (*) next to the title commenting should wait until after voting.
* I'll assume that everyone is happy for people to comment on their photos.
* If you do not wish to have your photo commented on, just drop me an email/pm and I'll add an asterix to the title of your photo.

www.diversionimages.com.au

Last edited by tghaines : 5th of July 2006 (Wed) at 15:27.
tghaines is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of June 2006 (Wed)   #2
tghaines

Default Re: MACRO Challenge #7 - Macro Water

No Photos at http://potnmacrogallery.fotopic.net/ yet.....I'll try to whip up an example this afternoon and post it.

TGH

Old 22nd of June 2006 (Thu)   #3
tghaines

3 Images online already - Great Work everyone.

http://potnmacrogallery.fotopic.net/

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of June 2006 (Sat)   #4
tghaines

Few more shots added. Check em out at http://potnmacrogallery.fotopic.net/

Old 29th of June 2006 (Thu)   #5
tghaines

2 More shots added, and some great work. Keep em coming.....

Aren't there some insects the live on the water?? How about so me shots of them??

Old 5th of July 2006 (Wed)   #6
tghaines

Few more shots added. Comp ends Thursday 6th (not Wed 6th - Sorry). Keep the great work coming.

Old 7th of July 2006 (Fri)   #7
MsRaven73

I was wondering if you could clear up a bit of confusion for me. I am a little unclear on the definition of macro. I did a search on wikipedia and came up with this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_photography
This is a relatively new hobby for me and I am still learning. So I would appreciate any feed back that you could give me.
Thank you very much.
MsRaven73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of July 2006 (Fri)   #8
deconb

HA! I JUST looked that up on wikipedia! I was looking at the macro gallery the other day and noticed a couple of pictures that I couldn't figure out what made them macors.. For instance, this:
http://potnmacrogallery.fotopic.net/p31306639.html

Is an awesome shot, but I'm confused about it being a macro...
deconb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of July 2006 (Sat)   #9
AirBrontosaurus
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by deconb
HA! I JUST looked that up on wikipedia! I was looking at the macro gallery the other day and noticed a couple of pictures that I couldn't figure out what made them macors.. For instance, this:
http://potnmacrogallery.fotopic.net/p31306639.html

Is an awesome shot, but I'm confused about it being a macro...
It isn't. Macro (1:1 photography) means that the object on the image is the same size on the sensor. For instance, the 300D's sensor is 22.7mm long. Thus, in true 1:1 macro photography, an insect that was 22.7mm long would stretch across the entire sensor (thus stretching across the entire image).

A test to see if a lens can go "macro" is to draw a rectange on a piece of paper that is the exact dimension of your sensor. In my case, the 300D's sensor is 22.7 x 15.1mm. Thus, a rectange with those dimensions should theoretically fill the entire image if I were to take a picture of it.

Now, while this is the technical meaning, it isn't fair to bash on people who don't have a dedicated macro lens (like me ). So, on these forums, macro is pretty much anything that is small, even if it isn't taken at 1:1.

However, in reguards to that picture, it is almost the exact opposite of macro . I'm kind of wondering how it got there too. I just figured that the people voting would know that it isn't a macro and skip over it.

It is a really nice shot though .
Lenses: Canon 24-105mm f/4 L | Canon MP-E 65mm Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

AirBrontosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of July 2006 (Sat)   #10
deconb

I'm certainly not bashing anybody for the record

I haven't yet bought a macro lens for my 20d, looking at the 100mm, but I REALLY enjoyed close up shots with my old s7000 (which had an AWESOME macro). So, when I first bought my camera, I got the kit lens and picked up 3 filters (buy 2 get 1 free); a cp, uv and didn't see anything else usefull so on a whim I picked up a Close Up + 3 at ritz cameras. I don't use it much, but it turned out to be a nice little toy. Here's a shot I took with the kit lens just a few minutes ago

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j7...b/IMG_1099.jpg

That filter is 16$ (58mm) online here:
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/241661503msk.htm
deconb is offline   Reply With Quote