Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of June 2006 (Sat)   #1
radiohead1075

Default Tall groom, short bride - how to shoot?

Looking for tips on photographing a tall groom and short bride. Main concern is trying to limit the visual perception of the height difference (dealing with about one foot of difference in height). What are some creative ways to "conceal" the height difference so that it does not stand out so much in a photo?
radiohead1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of June 2006 (Sat)   #2
mackb

Default Re: Tall groom, short bride - how to shoot?

Well, Im no expert, but in the movies they always film low angles to make people look taller and film people at diff depth to make people look closer in height. For example War of the worlds with Tom Cruie and .......I forgot the other guys name, but one guy is like 5'7" and the other is like 6' 3". OK..........it's a wedding not a movie. I guess you could
1. have her in the foreground and him backgound 1-2' back. Play with the DOF to get the right look.
2. You could have them lying down.
3. he could pick her up (although this might look like dad holding a little kd).
4. You can have them stand on diff steps and just use close ups.
5. You could have her looking up into his eyes, from the side.

Just helping you brainstorm, no expert here
Billy
Old 25th of June 2006 (Sun)   #3
samnz

Ask them FIRST if they have a complex about their height differences. I'm 5'7 and my WIFE is 6'1. During our wedding photo shoot the photographer tried to make me stand on blocks of wood, steps and anything else he could think of to make me "taller". The photos looked rediculous 'cause all my family know I'm shorter than (w)...so the wedding photos looked fake.

You could try placing the wife 10m to the rear of the groom...have her facing half-left looking at her bouquet and the groom half-right looking at (something other than the lens). Can be a very romantic shot if the background's right (a tree grove or even beach front).

Another suggestion. Sit HER down and move HIM to different sides of the chair for different poses. Shoot just above HER eye level so you're not shooting DOWN on her.

Have fun with it but remember...ask them first before making alterations or compensations! We weren't and the photos sucked. Sam
Old 26th of June 2006 (Mon)   #4
jj1987

I would get a lot of him holding her. That sounds like the perfict reason to use those types of shots.
jj1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of June 2006 (Tue)   #5
Arnie1

Get her to stand on a box?
Arnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of June 2006 (Wed)   #6
karl_burns

You don't always HAVE to pose them in these manners.....
karl_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of June 2006 (Wed)   #7
karl_burns

OK, so that didn't work. Here's a shot from last Saturday with a 6' 4" groom, and a 5' 5" bride.
Karl
http://www.pbase.com/karl_burns/image/62591161
karl_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of December 2006 (Tue)   #8
BrittanyElise

Location: I reside in Charlotte, NC, but my home is in Florida!

Hey thanks mack & sam - good suggestions. I'm 5'2'' and my guy's 6'2'' so I'm curious how this will work out.
The ability to capture the inner beauty of a soul is the essence of a true photographer. For anyone can capture outward adornment, but who can capture the inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in God's sight?
-Inspired by 1 Peter 3:3-5
BrittanyElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2006 (Wed)   #9
dosha

The wedding I did this past weekend had a 4'11" bride and 6'2" groom. This was my take:

dosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2006 (Wed)   #10
Lin-z

I know this is not a wedding picture, its from an engagement session, but I will be shooting their wedding a few weeks. The groom is about 1 and a half taller than the bride.

I had him with is prop is butt on a low wall and spread his feet out, and had her stand in between his feet... much like a tripod the further out he put his feet the lower he got. I insured them that his legs would not be in the shoot. I am planning to do this alot during their wedding session.

Lin-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2006 (Wed)   #11
jillybean

For full length they should be standing normal- that is who they are. But as in dosha & lindsi's work its ok to get the head together for the close up shots- otherwise they wouldn't be both in the frame. I had this w/my brothers wedding he is 6'6" and bride 5'2". For their close ups I had her stand on a case of soda but ONLY for close ups.
jillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2006 (Wed)   #12
paul33

What Jillybean said ........ remember that is how they are. Who are we to decide that we need to make them look the same height ?

Grab some shots that bring the heads together but your core formals should present them as they are ...... the fact they are marrying one another would suggest they actually like the way they are !
paul33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2006 (Wed)   #13
wilky95

This is exactly my view, as you can see from the picture there was a slight hight difference between them, he was 6-3" and she was about 5-3".

Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul33 View Post
What Jillybean said ........ remember that is how they are. Who are we to decide that we need to make them look the same height ?

Grab some shots that bring the heads together but your core formals should present them as they are ...... the fact they are marrying one another would suggest they actually like the way they are !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7051_filtered.jpg (91.5 KB, 440 views)

http://www.wightphotography.com
wilky95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2006 (Wed)   #14
mizuno
User is banned from forums

Just let them be their natural selves.

You can get away with various tricks and techniques in posed studio portraiture, but during a wedding shoot you'll just end up with confused subjects looking uncomfortable and unnatural.

99% of couples are fine with height differences and are realistic about how they look. They've learned to adapt in everyday life, and if you provide a relaxed approach, they'll do the work for you. Capture their natural interactions and any height difference will pale into insignificance as the emotion of the day comes to the fore.
mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of December 2006 (Fri)   #15
camman

I spoke to a couple a few weeks back. The groom is 7'6" and the bride 5'2". This would be quite a challenge I think.
50D, 1D Mark II, Sigma 24-70 2.8 and 700-200 2.8, 50 1.4, 550EX and Studio Equipment.
camman is offline   Reply With Quote