FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 24 Jun 2006 (Saturday) 14:26   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

radiohead1075
Joined May 2006
174 posts
PA
[MORE/SHARE]

Looking for tips on photographing a tall groom and short bride. Main concern is trying to limit the visual perception of the height difference (dealing with about one foot of difference in height). What are some creative ways to "conceal" the height difference so that it does not stand out so much in a photo?

Post #1, Jun 24, 2006 14:26:19

5D
50mm f/1.2L | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L I | 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS
My Photosexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
mackb
Joined Jan 2004
537 posts
Columbus, OH-IO
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, Im no expert, but in the movies they always film low angles to make people look taller and film people at diff depth to make people look closer in height. For example War of the worlds with Tom Cruie and .......I forgot the other guys name, but one guy is like 5'7" and the other is like 6' 3". OK..........it's a wedding not a movie. I guess you could
1. have her in the foreground and him backgound 1-2' back. Play with the DOF to get the right look.
2. You could have them lying down.
3. he could pick her up (although this might look like dad holding a little kd).
4. You can have them stand on diff steps and just use close ups.
5. You could have her looking up into his eyes, from the side.

Just helping you brainstorm, no expert here
Billy

Post #2, Jun 24, 2006 16:18:09

Billy

samnz
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
1,315 posts
Blenheim, Marlborough
[MORE/SHARE]

Ask them FIRST if they have a complex about their height differences. I'm 5'7 and my WIFE is 6'1. During our wedding photo shoot the photographer tried to make me stand on blocks of wood, steps and anything else he could think of to make me "taller". The photos looked rediculous 'cause all my family know I'm shorter than (w)...so the wedding photos looked fake.

You could try placing the wife 10m to the rear of the groom...have her facing half-left looking at her bouquet and the groom half-right looking at (something other than the lens). Can be a very romantic shot if the background's right (a tree grove or even beach front).

Another suggestion. Sit HER down and move HIM to different sides of the chair for different poses. Shoot just above HER eye level so you're not shooting DOWN on her.

Have fun with it but remember...ask them first before making alterations or compensations! We weren't and the photos sucked. Sam

Post #3, Jun 25, 2006 15:29:22

SAM
Gear

jj1987
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
1,398 posts
Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I would get a lot of him holding her. That sounds like the perfict reason to use those types of shots.

Post #4, Jun 26, 2006 19:12:43

Arnie1
Joined Jun 2005
237 posts
Essex, uk
[MORE/SHARE]

Get her to stand on a box?

Post #5, Jun 27, 2006 02:25:36

sponsored links
karl_burns
Joined Mar 2006
31 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

You don't always HAVE to pose them in these manners.....

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Post #6, Jun 28, 2006 08:58:57

Karl Burns
20D, a bunch of lenses (some "L"s), and flashes.
Computer/Photoshop really makes 'em look good!

karl_burns
Joined Mar 2006
31 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

OK, so that didn't work. Here's a shot from last Saturday with a 6' 4" groom, and a 5' 5" bride.
Karl
http://www.pbase.com/k​arl_burns/image/625911​61external link

Post #7, Jun 28, 2006 08:59:58

Karl Burns
20D, a bunch of lenses (some "L"s), and flashes.
Computer/Photoshop really makes 'em look good!

BrittanyElise
Joined Nov 2006
65 posts
I reside in Charlotte, NC, but my home is in Florida!
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey thanks mack & sam - good suggestions. I'm 5'2'' and my guy's 6'2'' so I'm curious how this will work out.

Post #8, Dec 05, 2006 22:32:03

The ability to capture the inner beauty of a soul is the essence of a true photographer. For anyone can capture outward adornment, but who can capture the inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in God's sight?
-Inspired by 1 Peter 3:3-5

dosha
Joined Jul 2006
99 posts
Tallahassee, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

The wedding I did this past weekend had a 4'11" bride and 6'2" groom. This was my take:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://i113.photobucke​t.com ...n223/dosha_02/coupl​e2.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Post #9, Dec 05, 2006 23:02:55 as a reply to BrittanyElise's post 30 minutes earlier.

Lin-z
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
1,247 posts
GA
[MORE/SHARE]

I know this is not a wedding picture, its from an engagement session, but I will be shooting their wedding a few weeks. The groom is about 1 and a half taller than the bride.

I had him with is prop is butt on a low wall and spread his feet out, and had her stand in between his feet... much like a tripod the further out he put his feet the lower he got. I insured them that his legs would not be in the shoot. I am planning to do this alot during their wedding session.

IMAGE: http://Lindsi.smugmug.com/photos/102480386-M.jpg

Post #10, Dec 06, 2006 00:02:52

http://www.lindsi.comexternal link

jillybean
Joined Jul 2005
813 posts
Columbus, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

For full length they should be standing normal- that is who they are. But as in dosha & lindsi's work its ok to get the head together for the close up shots- otherwise they wouldn't be both in the frame. I had this w/my brothers wedding he is 6'6" and bride 5'2". For their close ups I had her stand on a case of soda but ONLY for close ups.

Post #11, Dec 06, 2006 04:27:07

jill
www.justjillphoto.comexternal link
www.photosbyjill.blogs​pot.comexternal link

sponsored links
paul33
Joined Aug 2002
361 posts
Peterborough, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

What Jillybean said ........ remember that is how they are. Who are we to decide that we need to make them look the same height ?

Grab some shots that bring the heads together but your core formals should present them as they are ...... the fact they are marrying one another would suggest they actually like the way they are !

Post #12, Dec 06, 2006 15:32:44 as a reply to jillybean's post 11 hours earlier.

Peterborough Wedding Photographer - Nene Digital Weddingsexternal link

wilky95
Joined Jan 2006
658 posts
Isle of Wight, England
[MORE/SHARE]

This is exactly my view, as you can see from the picture there was a slight hight difference between them, he was 6-3" and she was about 5-3".

Martin

paul33 wrote in post #2362999external link
What Jillybean said ........ remember that is how they are. Who are we to decide that we need to make them look the same height ?

Grab some shots that bring the heads together but your core formals should present them as they are ...... the fact they are marrying one another would suggest they actually like the way they are !

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #13, Dec 06, 2006 16:27:01

"I am an incompetent so ignore :p "
http://www.wightphotog​raphy.comexternal link

mizuno
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
1,680 posts
Hobart, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Just let them be their natural selves.

You can get away with various tricks and techniques in posed studio portraiture, but during a wedding shoot you'll just end up with confused subjects looking uncomfortable and unnatural.

99% of couples are fine with height differences and are realistic about how they look. They've learned to adapt in everyday life, and if you provide a relaxed approach, they'll do the work for you. Capture their natural interactions and any height difference will pale into insignificance as the emotion of the day comes to the fore.

Post #14, Dec 06, 2006 20:19:07

DAN CRIPPS PHOTOGRAPHYexternal link | BLOGexternal link | PITBULL MANSIONexternal link
30D x 2 | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8 IS L | 580EX x 2 |

camman
Joined Jan 2006
59 posts
Indianapolis
[MORE/SHARE]

I spoke to a couple a few weeks back. The groom is 7'6" and the bride 5'2". This would be quite a challenge I think.

Post #15, Dec 08, 2006 11:28:46

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tall groom, short bride - how to shoot?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES