Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of July 2006 (Sat)   #1
35mm

Default Virginity Lost - First Wedding Pictures (12 pics)

The wedding was on the top of a mountain in the middle of the day. The lighting was really difficult (for me). My mate who was there took some good pictures and didn't get dark shadows on the face without a flash... exactly the shot that I took but no panda eyes.. Not happy. I also think I have sun stroke

99% of all photos of the groom have his eyes shut

Honestly? I am not happy with the set (the rest of them). Mostly all of them need PP and I have no idea how to do it properly.

Oh well - lots of learning to be done
Old 1st of July 2006 (Sat)   #2
jamiewexler
Goldmember

Default Re: Virginity Lost - First Wedding Pictures (12 pics)

Congratulations on making it through your first one! Man I wish that colored dress craze would catch on here in the states!
jamiewexler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2006 (Sat)   #3
bpuppy

They're pretty good ... you should fix the exposure on a few (use a curves layer and drag the middle up or down).

And about the grooms eyes. did you do burst shots? That's why you do 2 or 3 in a row ... less chance of eyes shut.
bpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of July 2006 (Sat)   #4
NickSimcheck
Sir Chimp-a-lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiewexler
Congratulations on making it through your first one! Man I wish that colored dress craze would catch on here in the states!
Tell me about it, a lot more fun in post processing and a lot easier to expose then Black tux and white dress. Don't tell anyone, but I'm a selective color junkie too.
Old 1st of July 2006 (Sat)   #5
NickSimcheck
Sir Chimp-a-lot

Oh, by the way my favorate was the one of the wedding license. Maybe take more shots next time and close the apature on eash shot so that you get the exact out of focus that your looking for.
Old 1st of July 2006 (Sat)   #6
Steve Parr
should have taken his own advice

That certainly looks like some challenging lighting. I'm shooting my first wedding tomorrow. I hope I do as well...
Steve Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2006 (Sat)   #7
35mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpuppy
They're pretty good ... you should fix the exposure on a few (use a curves layer and drag the middle up or down).
And about the grooms eyes. did you do burst shots? That's why you do 2 or 3 in a row ... less chance of eyes shut.
Thanks, I will have a fiddle with a few actions I found on the adobe website - I have difficulty understanding that you don't take the shot right the first go and it is okay to PP them
The groom has his eyes shut due to sun/wind - at least I still got closed eyes when no flash was used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSimcheck
Oh, by the way my favorate was the one of the wedding license. Maybe take more shots next time and close the apature on eash shot so that you get the exact out of focus that your looking for.
I only had a 1 gig card or else I would have gone crazy... my 'want' list has grown a lot since yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Parr
That certainly looks like some challenging lighting. I'm shooting my first wedding tomorrow. I hope I do as well...
Good luck buddy.

Here is one first un PP'ed the second played with Gamma, RBG curves, and Red curves - I think I made it too green - back to searching adobe for actions

This one I can't do anything with Next time assistant and reflector/sun diffuser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4109.jpg (88.9 KB, 1202 views)
Old 2nd of July 2006 (Sun)   #8
momentz
Goldmember

I like the last one of your post above - the B&W... as for the before and after processing - i think you did a good job editing that.. I like the new version
Old 2nd of July 2006 (Sun)   #9
35mm

Half way through I went "stuff it" and put it on "RAW + L" - Can I just say?? I LOVE RAW!!!!!

I managed to change the digital exposure and the bright highlights don't look that bad anymore *hugs her RAW function*

Still trying to figure out how to make a good album (MIL will cover costs)
Old 2nd of July 2006 (Sun)   #10
tim
Light Bringer

I have a few suggestions:
- experiment with ballancing flash and ambient light. one looks like it's massively overexposed, others look like they're "dear in headlights".
- ditch all your fancy effects in post processing. In my opinion they detract from the photos rather than add to them.
- Exposure. I shoot manual and watch the histogram. However you do it you need to stay on top of it and get it right in the camera. Especially in strong sunlight under trees where a few rays get through.
- Rule of thirds. Learn use it, then learn when to break it.

I'm in a grumpy mood, hope that came over as constructive.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2006 (Sun)   #11
CarsRFun

8 is the best
CarsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of July 2006 (Thu)   #12
35mm

Heeeelllppppp

Anyone know how to make this picture work as a 8x10? (4:5) ?
Old 27th of July 2006 (Thu)   #13
tim
Light Bringer

Not really. Here's my best effort, tried lots of crops and settled on this one as least bad, with a bit of gaussian blur. I'd suggest a 6x9 or a 10x6.66 unless the customer insists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3974t.jpg (23.6 KB, 976 views)
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of July 2006 (Thu)   #14
EOS mE
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
- Exposure. I shoot manual and watch the histogram. However you do it you need to stay on top of it and get it right in the camera. Especially in strong sunlight under trees where a few rays get through.
- Rule of thirds. Learn use it, then learn when to break it.
Tim, quick question on the histogram.. how can a newbie tell if the photo is properly exposed via viewing the histogram? Is it when majorty of the graph is in the dead center and/ or properly even through out the graph? cuz someitmes i see the histogram and the graph is either so far left or so far right when shooting at the beach with direct sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
I'm in a grumpy mood, hope that came over as constructive.
Somehow, after reading your post.. the song from Daniel Powter "Bad Day" just popped into my head.

"Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
You've seen what you like
And how does it feel for one more time
You had a bad day
You had a bad day"

I hope you are feeling better now~

My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103
EOS mE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of July 2006 (Thu)   #15
odvdveer

Is it just me? but on #7 and 8 where they are putting the rings on I would like to see the rings and on your shots I have to guess where they are.

Olga