Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 27 Jan 2002 (Sunday) 01:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

White on White -- Portrait of a Physicist

Don ­ Ellis
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jan 27, 2002 01:50 |  #1

We were sitting in the living room of a friend's home the other day and Ken was facing the picture window, listening to his wife, Aileen. I pulled out the G2 and steadied it on my knee to compensate for the 1/13-second shutter speed. Because I keep the shutter sound turned off, I was able to take half a dozen photos without anyone noticing.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

sponsored links
oops
340 posts
Joined Jun 2001
Jan 27, 2002 09:47 |  #2

Astounding portrait, Don. It kind of made my breath stop. Talk about all the elements coming together at once!

My very first thought was, "Don't I know this guy?". I then realized that the object of a portrait is to capture the subject's soul, which really happened here. I'll bet you were pleased when you viewed the lcd and floored when you saw just how good it was later. Was the 1/13 your choosing or the choice of the camera? Thanks for sharing.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,244 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jan 27, 2002 13:49 |  #3

A really good and moody portrait. VERY well done.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jan 27, 2002 19:53 |  #4

Hi Pekka... thanks very much for your kind words, and the capitals. :)

And oops... I held my breath as well, not only to keep the camera from moving but in the hope that the people would stop moving. The 1/13-second shutter speed and 2.5 aperture setting were chosen by the P (program) mode of the camera.

You're right about seeing the picture. When I saw the scene and looked in the viewfinder, I figured it would be good if it were in focus. But ultimately the viewfinder is a tiny TV that's more for framing than evaluating reality so you never quite know what you've got until you convert it and open it up on the big screen.

I did the usual leveling and sharpening, no saturation boost (which is set to Normal in the camera). If I were to completely correct the picture, I might clone out the shadow in the lower-left corner cast by his daughter's wheelchair. I suppose I could have gotten up and rolled her into the foyer, but I thought that might disrupt the ambience of the room. (She's 30, mostly ambulatory and has a sense of humor, so she won't mind that comment.)

When I grow up, I want to look this distinguished. While I'm waiting, I'll take Ken's total focus on whoever is speaking as a useful everyday lesson.

Thanks for your comments.

Leighow
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Jan 2002
Jan 27, 2002 21:04 |  #5

This seems to me to be a wonderful shot.

It is so realistic, and flattering -- relaxed and not over posed. Really fantastic. I like the texture in the white wall.

As the entire picture fades left into shadow, I would not had been noticed the bottom corner -- it all seems to flow.

HOWIE

Don ­ Ellis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Hong Kong
Jan 28, 2002 00:24 |  #6

I think you've taught me another lesson, Howie: To keep quiet while I'm ahead -- :) -- it was, after all, a casual rather than a formal portrait.

Thank you for your words and observations.

sponsored links

2,604 views & 0 likes for this thread
White on White -- Portrait of a Physicist
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.