Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 10 Jul 2006 (Monday) 22:16
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

monopod with ball heads?!?!

92 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Redmond Washington
Jul 10, 2006 22:16 |  #1

Hi All, I have a question regarding monopod with ball head...what's the point of mounting a ball head on the monopod? or just easier to tilt? (or greater range of tilt angle?)

Jonathan Lin
- Canon Digital Rebel XT, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG Macro
http://gallery.kegogi.​comexternal link

High Plains Chimper
5,594 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Lago, CA
Jul 10, 2006 22:32 |  #2

I enjoy my cheapo canon 100 Monopod with ballhead. Usually supports my 75-300 in low light, or the Bigma lens. The last few times I was walking around a lot, and it was very helpful to be able to simply retract part of the monopod, losen the nut, and then allow the ballhead to swivel freely. It allowed me to setup for another shot in just an instant.
It is actually due to this monopod, that I am getting a Manfrotto tripodwith Ballhead, for more static situations.

Smoothness of movement is non-important with a monopod, but the increased maneuravility is very enjoyable.

Mario "MJ" Gravina

"I feel crampy today.." -Abraham Lincoln
"Ow ow you are on my hair!" -Joan of Arc

All butt cheeks and string.
30,172 posts
Joined May 2005
Calgary, AB
Jul 11, 2006 00:15 |  #3

The main use my ballhead gets on my monopod is when I am doing macros. I often have the monopod at all kinds of weird angles to get the camera into the position I want and a ballhead allows me to adjust the camera angle to aim at my subject. Often I approach a shot with th monopod planted back a ways and lean in to the subject necessitating tilting the ballhead up, sometimes for overhead shots pointing it down.

For shots at most sporting events it is not really needed but it is where my quick release is so is great for changing lenses fast too.

69 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Jul 11, 2006 15:02 as a reply to BearLeeAlive's post |  #4

I use the ball head only for portrait orientation or when using my flash bracket. Otherwise I dont use the ball head whenever I can on a monopod. It does take some getting used to particularly getting a lower height than you would think, and where to put the mono pod when you need to aim down.

"Photographie sans frontiers"

Canon : EOS 1NRS / EOS 3 / EOS 5D
17-40f4 / 28-70f2.8 / 50f1.4 / 70-200f4 / 300f4 & 2.8
Other : Arca Swiss 5x4 / Zeis Ikon 6x9 / Nikon FM2

1,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
monopod with ball heads?!?!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.