Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds
Thread started 22 Oct 2003 (Wednesday) 18:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Salt Marsh

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,790 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Oct 22, 2003 18:01 |  #1

This series of images was taken about 15 minutes after the "Taking Wing" series.

By this point I had remembered to switch the camera to RAW! Doh!

Again Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX
ISO 200
Shutter 1/1000
Aperture 9.0

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
http://images.fotopic.​net ...;noresize=1&nos​tamp=1

:) I'm not sure what he was going for,. but I got the feeling that he didn't like it. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
stoneylonesome
Barn Stormer
10,460 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Connecticut, USA
Oct 22, 2003 18:05 |  #2

WOW! great shots, I love the way you've captured the sun shining on him, Maybe he doesn't like getting his picture taken while he's trying to sneak up on his next meal :D :D

the name is Winston but they call me Sandy
"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Flowing River Photosexternal link

tenerife
694 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Tenerife-Canary Islands
Oct 22, 2003 18:08 |  #3

How you feel the different between jpeg and raw....?

regards from tenerife klaus

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,790 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Oct 22, 2003 18:21 |  #4

thankss for your comments :)

tenerife wrote:
How you feel the different between jpeg and raw....?

regards from tenerife klaus

I go into the details a bit here;

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=19084

It is hard to illustrate the difference with these reduced size images... but in working with them and veiwing them full size there is a sizable difference!

The level of detail that is availble in the RAW images would easily allow me to make Very Large prints. with the jpegs,. even in these samll images, look at the head of the heron in the last flight image here;
http://photography-on-the.net ...thread.php?t=19097#​106172

...there is no detail left in the birds head. :(

With similar raw images there is a lot more to work with.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

rssfhs
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Joined Jan 2003
Oregon
Oct 22, 2003 23:26 |  #5

The colors on the raw files are really so much better. Part of the reason though maybe because of the grass which isn't in the jpegs. Did you do any tweaking of the white balance or whatever to the rawbies?

Craig
Canon 5d mk II, various lenses and accessories
See my gallery at:
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com ....mhtml?id=56114&rid​=56114external link

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,790 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Oct 22, 2003 23:47 |  #6

I have a bit of a "workflow" as they cal it for RAW files :D

Its just my own little system that I have developed with use.

In this case I did not adjust white balance,. using Adobe RAW plugin I bumped up the "exposure" slightly (I shoot slightly underexposed) and add a little "shadow"

I use the "levels" settings in photoshop a lot,. but these images needed little. A touch of selective saturation (more red, less yellow in this case)
and USM.

All these tools when applied to RAW files work so seemlesly and have a natural look,. doing the same adjustmenets to the jpeg files is much more touch and go.. and allways seems to result in a very "computer generated and processed" look.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

xuxu1
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Oct 23, 2003 00:46 |  #7

Hi CDS!

Nice shots.....!

Well as for myself..... I´m a RAW shooter. The only JPEG´s i´ve ever shot were at the day i got my G5 to get familiar with it. From then on i always shot RAW. In "M" mode or sometimes if it has to go fast in "P" mode. I always try to get the photo quality out of the camera as good as possible. Therefore most of the time all i have to do is add some USM and may be crop a bit now and then. But that´s about it. :)

Yes "RAW" does give you much more than "JPEG". (My opinion).

Regards
Ed

50D + BG-E2N | 10D + BG-ED3 | Powershot G5 | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 24-105 f/4 L IS | EF 70-200 f/4 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 380EX
Giottos MT-9170 Tripod, Giottos MH1001-652 Ballhead, Manfrotto Tripod, Manfrotto Monopod 681B, Lowepro Pro Mag 2 AW, Lowepro Nature Trekker AW II

lightandlife
306 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Oct 23, 2003 06:03 |  #8

CDS, now I am somewhat convinced that you may be right.
If I shoot RAW, how do I convert RAW pics into jpeg? Do I need to get Photoshop 8?

BCdives
605 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Flori-dahh
Oct 23, 2003 07:54 |  #9

CDS, amazing pic's for sure, was he stalking a fish, looked like he was about to stab one. Really nice pictures as usual.

BC

lightandlife: Try a demo copy of breeze browser and downloader pro. Fabulous for converting RAW images to TIFF or JPEG, it's also great for WB corrections, plus you can apply bits of USM, Levels, and the general massaging like you would in PS, but often times your pic's will look great and you wont need to do anything in PS (just my .02)

tenerife
694 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Tenerife-Canary Islands
Oct 23, 2003 08:15 |  #10

Raw or jpeg - a long discussion...

With my 1Ds i can shot in Raw and Jpeg at the same time...

But most of the time i shot in jpeg.... and the quality is great...

but one graphic designer whants for his work only raw...

but for fashion shots you need many microdrives......

regards from Tenerife

Klaus

rssfhs
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Joined Jan 2003
Oregon
Oct 23, 2003 08:33 |  #11

I see that the Canon File Viewer Utility which came with my 300D has the ability to convert RAW to Tif or Jpeg and to save in both formats at once. Anyone have any experience with it?

Craig

Craig
Canon 5d mk II, various lenses and accessories
See my gallery at:
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com ....mhtml?id=56114&rid​=56114external link

who10
218 posts
Joined Jan 2003
Portland, Oregon
Oct 23, 2003 10:02 |  #12

Incredible pics, CDS – It’s amazing how much detail can be pulled out of a RAW file. Beautiful work…

Lightandlife – I agree with Bcdives, Breezebrowser is an excellent option. Photoshop CS ( Photoshop 8 ) has RAW support for both the D60 and 10D built in. If you don’t have Photoshop 7 or 8 you might want to test the 15day trial for C1LE first. I’ve used both Photoshop CameraRaw and C1LE – I prefer C1LE so much that I am willing to use it with a PC emulator running on a Mac (all three options: BB, CameraRaw and C1LE are much better than Canon’s Fileviewer by far).

____
David

rockyc2
Goldmember
1,969 posts
Joined May 2003
Antlers, Oklahoma USA
Oct 23, 2003 10:11 |  #13

Beautiful shot, CDS. I just have to get me one of those 10D's or the 300D. I never shoot in the Raw. I keep my Clothes on.D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Rocky
PS: What did you pay for the Sigma 500 Lens.

My pictures web site. (Take a look)
http://rockyc.smugmug.​com/external link
Canon 10D, 2-20Ds, & 400D:lol:
Canon Pro90 IS (P&S)
Canon 50 f/1.4
Canon 85 f/1.8
Canon 200 f/2.8L II
Canon 400 f/5.6L
Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Sigma 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 II
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6DL
Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 50-500 (Bigma)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,790 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Oct 23, 2003 10:11 |  #14

Rssfhs

If you do use the Canon utility to to convert to RAW, then be sure to convert to tiff.

I am not at all sure of the workflow in this case. But I assume that once converted to tiff, then working with the tiff in Photoshop will be roughly the same as what I am doing now. I use the Adobe RAW plugin with PS 7.1 With this set up you first get to use the plugin to manipuale the RAW info directly as the file is being imported into PS. The controls that the plug in offer are similar to those that the Canon software gives you (the ability to adjust exposure, shadow detail, white balance etc.

But once you actually import into PS you are working with another file type,. (you never actually change the RAW file,. )

So by using the Canon raw utility you should get similar results (maybe identical?) but it won't be quite as seemless as you will need the extra step of tweeking in the Canon software saving as tiff and than reopening in PS.

On the other hand, and some have pointed out, you may not need to do any further tweeking after converting the raw. (I find I do most of the time though)

In truth I am just stumbling through all this myself... learning as I go and only recently have I started to get the results I want. (partly due to new optics which demand better file work to do the images justice)

The true RAW masters are Pekka (who works with Capture one) Roger Cavanagh @ http://www.rogercavana​gh.com/external link
and other geniuses like Fred Miranda Check out there workflow. And of course search these forums, there are many who have posted info and help on it here,. and they are who I have been learning from.

These RAW workflows look very daunting at first (it delayed my starting for some time) but once you get it down it is in fact much faster (with the right tools) as the RAW images take manipulation MUCH better than the jpegs.

More good news though is this,. If I am getting better results using RAW than you will too,. as I am a total newbie. Period.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,790 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Oct 23, 2003 10:16 |  #15

lightandlife wrote:
CDS, now I am somewhat convinced that you may be right.
If I shoot RAW, how do I convert RAW pics into jpeg? Do I need to get Photoshop 8?

There are a number of ways.
The Canon utility will Convert to tiff.
I strongly advise owning Photoshop if this is of any interest to you,. and by getting 8 you will not need any other utilites and the RAW converter will be included.

If PS 8 is too much there is
Breezebrowser (a fabulous and affordable tool)
Capture One le (I hear great things but haven't tried it)
Adobe RAW luging for PS 7.1 (this is what I use but it is awkward to get it to work at first, as it doesn't initially support the 10D)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

6,883 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Salt Marsh
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.