Tv, Av & P modes, help understaning

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 19 Jul 2006 (Wednesday) 16:48   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

crp0499
Joined May 2006
108 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

OK, I'm reading the book, taking lots of pictures but wanted a variety of explanations of the above three modes and when one might be more suited over the other two. Mostly I work with the camera sitting on my desk and using the Canon EOS utility to make adjustments to camera settings and snap pics. I get to see instant results and can look at the pics side by side and with the settings showing down the right side of the screen. I'm doing it this way until I understand the controls and what they do.

So far I really like Av mode but don't know why. I guess cos my pics come out better (all of the objects in the field of view are clear, the exposure is good). Of course in Av mode, to get the objects in the field of view to be clear the shutter stays open all day!

The few I've taken in M mode are BLACK almost and you can barely tell there is a picture there so I'm not bothering with it right now.

P mode seems to make everything dark but I can adjust the exposure using the large dial on the back and that's really handy. The thing is, when I do that, the shutter stays open longer and I have to be REALLY still or the pic is blurred. P mode with the flash is great so long as the flash is pointed up. Even outdoors I've noticed that the flash improves the picture quite a bit. That's interesting.

I'm not changing any other setting except the one mentioned in the subject line so before you ask, there's my answer to that. I'm "playing" using the EF 85mm lens, ISO 100 and capturing RAM and JPEG.

So, for the newbie, if you feel like taking time to draw me pictures and explain the three modes listed above, it would be appreciated a great deal.

Thanks

Cliff

Post #1, Jul 19, 2006 16:48:57

There is no offense if none is taken.

Spock

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Dante ­ King
"Cream of Corn" BurgerMeister
Joined Jan 2005
9,134 posts
San Anselmo, California
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, If you want an old guys short version, read on.

AV mode is F/stop priority. This allows you to control the Aperture and the camera sets the TV (shutter Speed) to make a proper exposure. Simple as that. I shoot in this mode for the most part as I am controlling DOF for the results I want, when using natural light.

TV mode is Shutter Speed Priority. This allows toy to set a shutter speed and the camera will select the AV value to make a good exposure.

P mode is kind of an auto mode. Camera selects AV and TV trying to get a good exposure. Not sure why your pics are coming out dark in this mode. Might have EV compensation on or changed unknowingly.

M mode is pure manual. You have to set the AV and TV settings using the cameras meter or a light meter to get correct exposure. This is the mode I use most often. It allows me to have full control over the shot. Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, its well worth it. Pics are black due to under exposure. Look at your light meter in the VF and you can see how the AV and TV values effect the meter and what is needed to set a proper exposure.

Depending on your metering mode, spot, center weighted..... this will also have an effect on your exposures.

Ok, I hope that helps a little. I am not really delving into the small details that others could on this topic.

Good luck. What do you shoot that the camera sits on your desk?

Post #2, Jul 19, 2006 17:10:45

Dante
I am not an Lcoholic. Lcoholics go to meetings!
Gear List

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
Joined Apr 2003
10,884 posts
southern Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Its not rocket science but I know it can seem like it when one is just starting out.

AV mode
Simply put you choose the f-stop that you want to work in and it calculates the shutter speed based on the light and ISO that you have chosen to work in. You watch the viewfinder to see what the shutter speed will be and if it looks like it is going to be too slow then you make your aperature opening larger. Through experience you will understand the kind of depth of field that you will get with certain f-stops. This is predominantly why I use this mode almost exclusively.

TV mode
The reverse of AV in that you set the shutter speed and the camera calculates the appropriate shutter speed. I use this when I know what type of shutter speed that I would require in order to say stop a subject. Knowing this also takes some experience.

P mode
Is a blend of the the two above in that the camera calcuates both shutter speed and f-stop for you. It tried to keep a reasonable depth of field and shutter speed. To be honest, I might have taken a handful of pictures using this mode just to say that I have used it.

You can use exposure exposure compensation in these modes. I generally overexpose slightly on my images so that my histogram is shifted to the left.

Post #3, Jul 19, 2006 17:14:07

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

crp0499
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
108 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Dante King wrote:
Good luck. What do you shoot that the camera sits on your desk?

I just set it at one end of the desk and shoot down the long axis towards the server rack along the far wall.

ssim, what is that hanging off your camera in your avatar? it looks like the hubble?

Post #4, Jul 19, 2006 17:25:35 as a reply to Dante King's post 14 minutes earlier.

There is no offense if none is taken.

Spock

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
15,545 posts
Portland, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

Why don't you get out in the real world and shoot with the camera in the various modes? And by real world, I mean outside, away from your desk with your wife, kids, family and friends? How about shooting some landscapes, some trees, some sunsets? I think you'll learn a lot more from that than by sitting at your desk reading a book. Yes, you do need to understand the basics, but you need to work with your camera and lenses under a variety of lighting conditions and scenary. Go forth, young man, and seek photos! :)

Mark

Post #5, Jul 19, 2006 18:01:41

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Thirty-five years of shooting and still learning.
My G&N Blogexternal link (NSFW)- My Complete Gear Listexternal link - Mac-Photo Websiteexternal link - My Tumblr Siteexternal link (NSFW)
G&N FORUM EARLY ACCESS & IMAGE POSTING RULES

sponsored links
vetkrazy
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
1,019 posts
Just North of South, next to the Joshua tree
[MORE/SHARE]

The 1DsMKII can be a daunting machine, especially if it is your first DSLR. Think of the P mode as in Point-N-Shoot or cruise control for your camera. Never use it!:lol: The AV, TV and M are what make this camera special. You need to understand their use and how it relates to the ISO and white balance. Read those chapters also. The reason your M shots where dark is probably the low ISO 100. The type of lighting in your office will also affect your pictures. I second the motion, get out of the office and shot some pictures in the daylight. Use the different modes then go back and look at them and then you can analize the exif data to see what works and what doesn't.

Post #6, Jul 19, 2006 18:28:53

Wrap your ass in fiberglass.... You're only young once but you can be immature the rest of your life
http://vetkrazy.exposu​remanager.com/external link

Gear List

claudermilk
Joined Jun 2005
390 posts
SoCal
[MORE/SHARE]

:shock: That is a HECK of a lot of very expensive gear to have for needing to ask what Av, Tv, and P modes are! I wonder if maybe you dived in a little too deep to start with.

In all seriousness, the manual is your friend. It's dry reading, but it's well worth taking a couple of trips through it with the camera handy. Also, Understanding Exposure (http://www.amazon.com ...2-8134770-3444968?ie=UTF8external link) will take you a long ways towards understanding basic photography concepts.

Post #7, Jul 19, 2006 18:45:58 as a reply to vetkrazy's post 17 minutes earlier.

20D/BG-E2/Katz Eye | Tokina 12-24/4 | 24-70/2.8L | 50/1.8 Mk I | 70-200/2.8L | PD70X

dan_c
Joined Jul 2004
122 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

you have all that and don't know what Av and tv means??? hard to believe...

1DsMII
EF 35mm f/2
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM
EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
EF 75-300 f/4-5.6
Speedlite 580 EX
Gitzo G1588 w/ 234RL head
Manfrotto 3221WN w/503 Head

Post #8, Jul 19, 2006 19:17:36 as a reply to claudermilk's post 31 minutes earlier.

EOS 30D
24-70 f2.8L
10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
70-200L f4
Speedlite 430EX

Coco-Puffs
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
1,472 posts
cornfield, midwest
[MORE/SHARE]

dan_c wrote:

1DsMII
EF 35mm f/2
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM
EF 75-300 f/4-5.6
Speedlite 580 EX

+1:shock:
but yeah, the 1D is different...I was playing with it at Canon's QR center in Tokyo and it took me a second to switch between the different modes. I played with it for 5minutes but still couldnt figure out how to delete images on the memory card...

Post #9, Jul 19, 2006 19:23:17 as a reply to dan_c's post 5 minutes earlier.

--------------------

"Hi super nintendo Chalmers!" -Ralph Wiggum

--------------------

Tundrasport
Joined Apr 2006
273 posts
Boca Raton, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

crp0499 wrote:
what is that hanging off your camera in your avatar? it looks like the hubble?

It is the hubble! I took that shot as the Hubble was rising over the horizon. The camera he is holding really has a very tiny lens on it and it just looks like the telescope is atached to it. Of course I had to use a home made radio telescope to get the hubble that clear and ssim got a bit fried, pretty cool forced perspective isnt it!

Post #10, Jul 19, 2006 19:31:52 as a reply to crp0499's post 2 hours earlier.

I Shoot...Therefore I Chimp
30D, 20D 18-55 kit,100-400L IS USM, EFS 17-85 IS USM, EFS 10-22, nifty 50, 75-300IS USM
http://www.photoraton.​comexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

One thing about 'P': You can dial in EC with the back wheel, as you said. You can use the front dial to shift to a different aperture/shutterspeed combination which will give the same exposure . (for instance: 1/125 @ f/8 vs. 1/30 @ f/16)
There is also a CFn: 'retain Program shift'

Post #11, Jul 20, 2006 05:24:02

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
grego
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2005
8,819 posts
UCLA
[MORE/SHARE]

dan_c wrote:

1DsMII
EF 35mm f/2
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM
EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM
EF 75-300 f/4-5.6
Speedlite 580 EX

Equipment does not equal skill level. And that is present with more than a few users.

Post #12, Jul 20, 2006 05:51:28 as a reply to dan_c's post 10 hours earlier.

Go UCLAexternal link!! |Gear|http://gregburmann.comexternal linkSportsShooterexternal link|Flickrexternal link|

LIST NEARBY THREADS
23,199 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tv, Av & P modes, help understaning
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES