Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of October 2003 (Tue)   #1
Don Ellis

Default Cats

Young cat...

Old cat...

We spent Diwali -- the Indian festival of lights (Deepavali to South Indians) -- on Lamma Island in Hong Kong where we were the guests of the old cat who ordered enough food for thirty, although we were just ten. It was taken with a G2 with onboard flash set at -2/3 flash exposure, and is one of the few photos I've taken with the built-in flash.

The next morning we wandered about the small car-less island and found the only cat who would sit still for a photo -- although three was his close-up limit.

Don
Don Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of October 2003 (Tue)   #2
marie
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Cats

I can hardly believe these beautiful pictures don
they are wonderful

and the flash (which you mention) worked perfect.

"It was taken with a G2 with onboard flash set at -2/3 flash exposure, and is one of the few photos I've taken with the built-in flash.
" unquote

will I ever get all the details right
onboard flash was just that ......until now
( a quick flash if needed)
thanks for this information also don

the focus on the eyes on both 'cats' are just beautiful
and the shadows are lovely on the real cat .
the man reminded me of santha
(for obvious reasons I guess )

really beautiful pictures.
thanks again

regards
marie
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2003 (Tue)   #3
HeatherJL

Both pictures are nice, but I really like the picture of the young cat... great colors.
HeatherJL is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of October 2003 (Tue)   #4
Leighow
Goldmember

DON

Sounds like a nice break from the main island. Lovely shots.

By the way a few new members are having trouble with flash -- and I thought you had solved same with a clip-on plastic (or something) diffuser.

Keep well,

HOWIE

PS: I must add that Canada is gaining many new citizens via China. There are are nicely educated and we love them all.
Leighow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2003 (Wed)   #5
Don Ellis

Default Re: Re: Cats

Quote:
marie wrote:

I can hardly believe these beautiful pictures don
they are wonderful

the focus on the eyes on both 'cats' are just beautiful
and the shadows are lovely on the real cat.

the man reminded me of santha
(for obvious reasons I guess )
Hi Marie,

Thanks very much for your sweet sentiments... nice observation about the eyes. It did occur to me to title the photos "Cats' Eyes" but I decided to keep it simple.

Vernon was very helpful when Mamma died, introducing us to the Indian Association people who carried us through all the various rites and final passage.

The cat was so comfortable sitting the in tree-filtered sunlight and I knew I would eventually disturb him, but there you go... that's art.

Thanks again.

Don
Old 29th of October 2003 (Wed)   #6
Don Ellis

Quote:
HeatherJL wrote:
Both pictures are nice, but I really like the picture of the young cat... great colors.
Thank you... here's another for you, after he got tired of my being in his face and jumped off his ledge. Not quite so good but if I don't post it here, it will never see the light of day.

Cheers,

Don
Old 29th of October 2003 (Wed)   #7
Don Ellis

Quote:
Leighow wrote:
Sounds like a nice break from the main island. Lovely shots.

By the way a few new members are having trouble with flash -- and I thought you had solved same with a clip-on plastic (or something) diffuser.

PS: I must add that Canada is gaining many new citizens via China. There are are nicely educated and we love them all.
Hi Howie,

It was a nice break... although we spent the night in a new guest hotel that charged US$75 and provided one sheet and no soap. What do the big hotels say: Little things mean a lot? In this case, they mean that we won't be staying there again and I'll be complaining internationally about stupid hospitality decisions.

My Canon 420EX external flash was one of the items in my stolen camera bag and I haven't replaced it yet -- in fact, I just noticed that it's gone up in price. What is it, wine? I thought electronics were supposed to go down.

So for the most part I avoid flash photography -- which I did even with the 420EX -- but occasionally it's the only way to get the shot. Here's another I took about the same time as the Vernon Old Cat photo above...

I've always gotten the best results on the G1 and G2 by setting the flash exposure to -2/3 and shooting AV mode at f5.0. As much as I like P mode, I was getting too many out-of-focus shots... mainly because P mode with flash was choosing f2.0 or 2.5.

Glad you're enjoying your new neighbors -- I know a lot of people aren't as happy about immigrants.

Take care,

Don
Old 29th of October 2003 (Wed)   #8
marie
Cream of the Crop

thank you don

of the other picture of the cat ...not as nice.
as you know already
or it would have been the one posted first.
but the shadows are very nice
looks just like a cat can look for real when on the prowl or fairly angry . very catty looking
(disturbed from its snooze )

the other shot is beautiful.
her lovely happy face and the hat showing the embroidered flowers so clear .
and the colour matching the top which she is wearing are making it a very ' impact' shot (which I love )
the eyes have it also
you must have loved how this came out,
so will she.

reading your reply to howie

"It was a nice break... although we spent the night in a new guest hotel that charged US$75 and provided one sheet and no soap. What do the big hotels say: Little things mean a lot? In this case, they mean that we won't be staying there again and I'll be complaining internationally about stupid hospitality decisions. "

one sheet !
and no soap
no hope and
and no cheap
maybe there were thieves in the night before you came......
maybe get your money back
now I know why they make 'soap on a rope'
a classic case for it here
j/j

terrible conditions at that price.
don't know what 'hospitality decisions' mean.
was there a law passed re certain conditions
and what to supply etc (for tourists) ?

best wishes

marie
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of October 2003 (Wed)   #9
Don Ellis

Quote:
marie wrote:
of the other picture of the cat ...not as nice.
but the shadows are very nice
Yes, shadows are about all it has going for it. He was a grumpy puss after being nudged out of his sunny nap.

Quote:
the other shot is beautiful.
you must have loved how this came out,
so will she.
I was pleased... especially considering it was the on-board flash.

Quote:
one sheet !
and no soap
no hope and
and no cheap
Very witty. And I forgot to mention the short bed. At six-two, I'm not THAT tall but beds are often in the six-foot range, which, with pillow and positioning, means I've got about half a literal foot overhang. If it's just a mattress, that's not a problem... but in this case, there was a sharp wooden footboard the same height as the mattress.

Quote:
don't know what 'hospitality decisions' mean.
was there a law passed re certain conditions
and what to supply etc (for tourists) ?
Sometimes even I grope for the right expression and miss... hospitality refers to the hotel trade and decisions refer to their decisions on what to provide and what to withhold. Withholding a 50-cent bar of soap is just one more stupid decision.

Of course, they call themselves the "Bali Holiday Resort" and they're in Hong Kong, so how bright can they be?

Cheers,

Don
Old 29th of October 2003 (Wed)   #10
robekert

Don,
Great shots. I really like the shot of the young girl in your last post. You just can't keep a good photographer down. Limit your equipment and you just use what is at your disposal. The tips are very helpful. That is the beauty of this fourm.

I got a call from an old friend. He calls me every few years and we catch up. It seems that since our last conversation he got married. Interestingly his nups were with one of your locals. His company has a Hong Kong office. He was working there for a few months and love bloomed. He told me that she was not exactly from Hong Kong but from an area called the "New Territories". I laughed, and said I knew all about the "NT". I told him to fire up his computer and check out your site. He said he has shot many of the same places that you had, but his shots were not as good. (A surprised look goes across my face.) So when he wants to show his family HK shots I guess he will just use your site........Small world, huh.

Rob
Old 29th of October 2003 (Wed)   #11
Don Ellis

Quote:
robekert wrote:
Don,
Great shots. I really like the shot of the young girl in your last post. You just can't keep a good photographer down. Limit your equipment and you just use what is at your disposal. The tips are very helpful. That is the beauty of this forum.
Hi Rob,

Nice to hear from you, as always. Thanks for your comments... I tend to take a lot of pictures and then post them as I process them, which, considering how busy I am, can take a few days.

Looking at the picture of Ella, you're right... it's the best of the lot.

Quote:
I got a call from an old friend. He calls me every few years and we catch up. It seems that since our last conversation he got married. Interestingly his nups were with one of your locals. His company has a Hong Kong office. He was working there for a few months and love bloomed. He told me that she was not exactly from Hong Kong but from an area called the "New Territories".
As you know, the New Territories is part of Hong Kong -- the confusion comes from the fact that "Hong Kong" is divided into three areas: Kowloon, the New Territories, and Hong Kong Island, also known as Hong Kong, just to keep everyone on their toes (or confused).

Glad he found true love in Hong Kong, as did I. I will say one thing for many Hong Kong girls -- they're not the shy, compliant, Oriental types that fill men's imaginations. There's every chance she'll be running the household in a few weeks... if she's demure. Otherwise, it will be a few days.

Cheers,

Don
Old 30th of October 2003 (Thu)   #12
marie
Cream of the Crop

Don quote

" And I forgot to mention the short bed. At six-two, I'm not THAT tall but beds are often in the six-foot range, which, with pillow and positioning, means I've got about half a literal foot overhang. If it's just a mattress, that's not a problem... but in this case, there was a sharp wooden footboard the same height as the mattress."
unquote

thanks for the reply Don

well, you must be the exception to the rule over there
you are six foot two !
everyone must look up to you all the time

you maybe would have been better sleeping on the floor
(with the cockroches )

not an overhang you had
but a hangover ...... probably

""Sometimes even I grope for the right expression and miss... hospitality refers to the hotel trade and decisions refer to their decisions on what to provide and what to withhold. Withholding a 50-cent bar of soap is just one more stupid decision.
Of course, they call themselves the "Bali Holiday Resort" and they're in Hong Kong, so how bright can they be? ""
unquote

grope ? oops

ha ha ha ha ha

after the bomb went off in Bali they just may change that name

met a hong kong man on monday but he didn't know you don

I was disappointed.
he was from the new territories
now he is on new territory here

thanks for info. re flash
have to get my head around everything like it

regards
marie