Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of July 2006 (Fri)   #1
ClickClick

Default How to eliminate lens fog?

Ok I live in South Florida and upon exiting an air conditioned environment to go outside in the heat/humidity my camera lens foggs up something terrible. (So do my glasses but they clear up on their own rather fast but the camera lens doesn't). I mean it is bad and you can actually see condensation forming on the lens.

Is there a simple solution for this/ Thanks.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of July 2006 (Fri)   #2
KevNJ

Default Re: How to eliminate lens fog?

As per CorruptedPhotographer stated in another thread "Before going to the outside, put the lens in a ziplock bag and leave it outside till the body temperature of the gear changes to the outside temperature. When it does, take it out and use it, this way it will not fog up because there is no sudden change (to the gear) temperature wise."

Thinking of getting a new gear, not sure if it's the right choice ?
www.RentCameraGear.com
KevNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of July 2006 (Fri)   #3
led hed

maybe try leaving it in the trunk (where air-con is limited or not at all) instead of inside the vehicle where the air-con is blowing.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #4
CorruptedPhotographer

good quote KevNJ

Member since 2005 ^_^
CorruptedPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #5
GAELICSTORM7

Hi, try searching on the net for dew heaters or dew bands, I use them in my other hobby of astronomy to stop dew forming on the optics of my telescope (just the same as the fog you descibe), but have also used them on camera lenses when taking long exposures at night, either that or use a small 12 volt powered hair dryer (which I also use)

Alan
Canon 1D mark III, Canon 20D, Canon 300D IR modded, Canon G12, Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM, Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Peleng 8mm, Canon 580EX, Sigma EM-140DG
GAELICSTORM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #6
Lin-z

Put the hair dryer on the lowest setting and blow it at the glass, to kinda warm it up
Lin-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #7
cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity

Put a filter on the lens. Then take some white liquid hand soap. VERY little amount and buff it onto the filter. The haze will go away after you buff it a bit. If you have a cheap filter that fogs in between then take your own risk buffing soap onto the lens.

I had to do this to my lenses in the caribbean since they would fog so badly in the humdity. Without it I got very "english" looking shots when it was too humid.

Motorcyclists and hockey players use this old trick to keep their visors from fogging.

Full frame and some primes.
cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote