How to eliminate lens fog?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 21 Jul 2006 (Friday) 09:08   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ClickClick
Joined Jan 2006
768 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok I live in South Florida and upon exiting an air conditioned environment to go outside in the heat/humidity my camera lens foggs up something terrible. (So do my glasses but they clear up on their own rather fast but the camera lens doesn't). I mean it is bad and you can actually see condensation forming on the lens.

Is there a simple solution for this/ Thanks.

Post #1, Jul 21, 2006 09:08:12

A camera.
Trinkets galore.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
KevNJ
Joined Jun 2005
366 posts
NJ-USA
[MORE/SHARE]

As per CorruptedPhotographer stated in another thread "Before going to the outside, put the lens in a ziplock bag and leave it outside till the body temperature of the gear changes to the outside temperature. When it does, take it out and use it, this way it will not fog up because there is no sudden change (to the gear) temperature wise."

Post #2, Jul 21, 2006 09:12:36

Kevin
Thinking of getting a new gear, not sure if it's the right choice ?
www.RentCameraGear.comexternal linkhttp://www.photography​-on-the.net .../showthread.php?p=1​713215

led ­ hed
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 posts
Apsley, On. CAN.
[MORE/SHARE]

maybe try leaving it in the trunk (where air-con is limited or not at all) instead of inside the vehicle where the air-con is blowing.

Post #3, Jul 21, 2006 12:17:54

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

CorruptedPhotographer
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,798 posts
AbuDhabi, United Arab Emirates
[MORE/SHARE]

good quote KevNJ ;)

Post #4, Jul 22, 2006 13:16:32

Gear List
Member since 2005 ^_^

GAELICSTORM7
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2005
1,042 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi, try searching on the net for dew heaters or dew bands, I use them in my other hobby of astronomy to stop dew forming on the optics of my telescope (just the same as the fog you descibe), but have also used them on camera lenses when taking long exposures at night, either that or use a small 12 volt powered hair dryer (which I also use)

Alan

Post #5, Jul 22, 2006 18:06:23

Canon 1D mark III, Canon 20D, Canon 300D IR modded, Canon G12, Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L USM, Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Peleng 8mm, Canon 580EX, Sigma EM-140DG

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Lin-z
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
1,247 posts
GA
[MORE/SHARE]

Put the hair dryer on the lowest setting and blow it at the glass, to kinda warm it up

Post #6, Jul 22, 2006 18:21:30 as a reply to GAELICSTORM7's post 15 minutes earlier.

http://www.lindsi.comexternal link

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
Joined Jul 2005
10,929 posts
Duncan, BC, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Put a filter on the lens. Then take some white liquid hand soap. VERY little amount and buff it onto the filter. The haze will go away after you buff it a bit. If you have a cheap filter that fogs in between then take your own risk buffing soap onto the lens.

I had to do this to my lenses in the caribbean since they would fog so badly in the humdity. Without it I got very "english" looking shots when it was too humid.

Motorcyclists and hockey players use this old trick to keep their visors from fogging.

Post #7, Jul 22, 2006 18:28:07

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
10,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to eliminate lens fog?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES