Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > POTN Member Activities
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of July 2006 (Fri)   #1
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"

Default POTN WORLDWIDE PHOTO DAY PART 20- BLACK AND WHITE

Happy friday.. the theme this week is black and white.. I have an appreciation of black and white photos for a lot of different reasons.. The compositions of a black and white photo without the splashes of color as a focal point is often different.. the simplicity of a black and white image has often struck me as very beautiful... the feelings that can be conveyed with the abscense of distracting color is often really wonderful. So your challenge this weekend is to shoot with the idea that the color from your image is not going to be an element..

I know that I often look for splashes of color to strengthen a composition.. drawing the eye to certain elements and cropping out areas with unwanted colors and tones... So, perhaps this isn't a direct theme but rather a direction of where to take your composition skills.. The challenge comes with a new way of looking for compositions.. opening eyes to the lines, shadows, whether or not something will translate and ofcourse, being willing to sacrifice the colors that we all love in our photographs...

The rules are all the same photos can be taken from sun-up saturday until sundown sunday and posted by monday.. Whether you prefer to use the black and white setting in your camera, use a channel mixer, simple action, or channel mixer the way you convert your images is up to you and we are as interested in the way you accomplished your results as the results themselves.. Feel free to post the before and after if you want to but, it's not a requirement.. Have fun, happy shooting and i'm excited to see the results..

sari
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."
saravrose is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #2
Becky N
"full of baloney"

Default Re: POTN WORLDWIDE PHOTO DAY PART 20- BLACK AND WHITE

Golly, am I really the first to post? And I have no idea what I'm doing with B&W, but I do like the results in this case:

Original converted and resized for posting:

Aiden Robert - Born 7/21/06; 9:52pm CDST; 6 lbs 5 oz; 20 inches. And yes he is now the cutest grandchild in the entire world

For the B&W, we use Paint Shop Pro. I changed to BG to black, cropped and then changed the image to Grey Scale. I played with the black and white points? but didn't like the results so did the ole undo trick. Here is the result:

I'll try to get out tomorrow and shoot something else and play some more. Maybe by then I'll get some tips to try from all of you that have more experience and "see" in B&W.
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #3
wu_wei0
Irrepressibly irresistibly Creamy

Location: You cannot know my location if you are busy measuring my speed

COngratulations on your grandma status! I may make it next year. My oldest and his wife are trying hard.
Beautiful babe and lovely photo. I do prefer the B/W - it reduces a photo to just the essentials.
as for processing I understand we get better as we go along. I'm seldom pleased with my efforts yet, though.
Never tried using Paint shop so I can't offer any tips.
~wu
wu_wei0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #4
cfpackerfan
I love my tail!

He is absolutely beautiful. And you did a fabulous job on the BW conversion, I really like it!
cfpackerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #5
Becky N
"full of baloney"

Awhhh, thank you Wu and Cat. I did the same background thing to the colored version, didn't crop so I had plenty of space at the top to layer on the vital statistics, then used the flattened image to send the announcement out via e-mail to the rest of the family. I couldn't resist telling my mom and she went with us to the hospital visit. Curtis N took a nice 4 generation picture.
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #6
cfpackerfan
I love my tail!

Quote:
Curtis N took a nice 4 generation picture.
And we get to see it, yes?
cfpackerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #7
Becky N
"full of baloney"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfpackerfan
And we get to see it, yes?
Hmmmm, now there is a challenge: a: It is Curtis N's picture and b: it doesn't meet the theme for this week. So permission needs to be granted all the way around.
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #8
Mat Fitzsimmons

Cute Bub, Becky. Congratulations

I haven't participated in one of these threads for a while ... been too busy with work, etc. I never seem to have any time on weekends. I like Meaty's suggestion of using the whole week if possible. Maybe we can come up with two topics one week to get a week ahead, and then just stay a week ahead? (as in discuss the topic for two weeks ahead all the time?)

Anyway, here's a quick one .. well, two, from me. Apologies if it's a little large. I possibly didn't stick to the theme as it was intended from Sari's comments above (neither of the shots are actually B&W), kinda wanted to do something a little different.

5D + 135L.

Last edited by Mat Fitzsimmons : 22nd of July 2006 (Sat) at 22:03.
Mat Fitzsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2006 (Sat)   #9
Becky N
"full of baloney"

Thanks Mat, and that is one cool cat.
Old 23rd of July 2006 (Sun)   #10
condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky N
Hmmmm, now there is a challenge: a: It is Curtis N's picture and b: it doesn't meet the theme for this week. So permission needs to be granted all the way around.
Curtis can post the shot if he wants to and it could be made B&W easily

condyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2006 (Sun)   #11
Becca
Lady in Red

Congratulations, Becky! He's certainly a handsome young man!

Mat, that's scary! But I like it!
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2006 (Sun)   #12
Carzee
Cream of the Crop

Saturday night shooting.

Old 23rd of July 2006 (Sun)   #13
Becky N
"full of baloney"

Quote:
Originally Posted by condyk
Curtis can post the shot if he wants to and it could be made B&W easily
Not going to happen, he doesn't like, therefore won't do B&W. He suggested one of us post it in another forum and post a link here. So be watching later in the day.
Old 23rd of July 2006 (Sun)   #14
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"

hi everybody like the shots so far.. Unfortunately my computer's hardrive is being transferred to an external harddrive and then it needs to be 'defragged' whatever the heck that means... so, I might be a little late with shots.. can't download or PP anything without it.. but, i'll post as soon as it's returned to me..

sari
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."
saravrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2006 (Sun)   #15
BLS

I'm surprised by how quiet this thread is.

Becky N -- Congratulations. You must be ecstatic! And just think of all the joy that is yet to come!

Mat -- I agree, that's spooky. But also interesting. I especially like the green nose. How did you do that?

Carzee -- Like the no-nonsense expression, the engine and the composition.

I almost didn't particpate this weekend since I'm not a big fan of B&W. When I woke up this morning I was greeted by a wonderful change in the weather, from hot & muggy to cool & clear. So I grabbed the camera, and off I went. I didn't shoot with the B&W theme in mind, but when I looked at this one I thought it might do. So here's my attempt:

The B&W version

The color version: