Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 01 Aug 2006 (Tuesday) 17:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Affordable Fab Four -- Anchor Lens -- Sigma 20MM f/1.8

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Aug 01, 2006 17:05 |  #1

Hi,

For those of you who have been following the thread on the Fab Four I have all but decided to get the Sigma 20MM f/1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF as my "anchor" lens. This will give me an effective 32MM for those wide indoor shots :)

Now my question is does anyone have experience with this particular lens? This will be my first lens outside the Canon family and I have no experience with the Sigma line of lenses.

The 20MM f/1.8 gets good reviews and I like the photos I see made with it on pbase. Are there any cautions or warnings I need to be aware of?

Thanks,

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

Big ­ Hands
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Southern California
Aug 01, 2006 17:17 |  #2

You already have:

18-55 kit
EF-S 10-22
EF-S 17-55 IS

not to mention:

EF 24-70 f/2.8L
EF 28-105

Wide indoor shots taken at f/1.8? Why? DOF at f/1.8 on a wide angle is a weird thing to shoot.

Does your 17-55 f/2.8 IS not get you to roughly the same point (or better) with IS (in most conditions)?

I've all but decided to get rid of my Sigma 30 f/1.4 because the 17-55 IS will do fine in most situations that I would shoot.

Canon 20D w/grip, 300D, Powershot SX100 w/HF-DC1 flash, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.8, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 50 f/1.8, 580EX and some other stuff...

JimAskew
THREAD ­ STARTER
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Aug 01, 2006 17:52 as a reply to Big Hands's post |  #3

Big Hands wrote:
You already have:

...Does your 17-55 f/2.8 IS not get you to roughly the same point (or better) with IS (in most conditions)?

I've all but decided to get rid of my Sigma 30 f/1.4 because the 17-55 IS will do fine in most situations that I would shoot.

Big Hands,

I have found that I get better results with primes when shooting indoors w/o flash. I ran into this situation in July when I was taking candids at my Niece's wedding reception. I used my 50MM f/1.4 but on the RebelXT it was a tad long and I had trouble framing the shots I wanted. I used the 17-55MM EF-S IS in the church with good results but there I used the flash most of the time.

I am getting rid of the Kit lens, the 28-105MM, and (believe it or not) the 24-70MM "L". I get better results, at least to my eye, with the 17-55MM over the 24-70MM. My "cast off" lenses are going to my son...well maybe I have to think about the 24-70MM "L" for a while...

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

tellingthm
200 posts
Joined Apr 2006
oakland
Aug 01, 2006 17:56 |  #4

i had that lens for a while and had mixed feelings about it. the iq was great, and f/1.8 at 20mm (32mm on a 20d) really afforded me some shots that no other lens could. the close mfd was also pretty cool. it could focus on anything that basically wasn't touching the front element. it was perfect for shooting in dim-light indoors (bars, clubs, etc).
however, sigma's af/mf switch is very clumsy and awkward, and i just couldn't get used to it. the lack of usability on the lens really killed it for me. af was also pretty slow.

i suppose it's just another example of a lens that could be truly great if sigma got their act together- like putting HSM into all of their EX lenses!

i've made a huge mistake.

gear list

876 views & 0 likes for this thread
Affordable Fab Four -- Anchor Lens -- Sigma 20MM f/1.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.